You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Studying Napoleonic Code forgetting Arthashastra

In India, almost all serious students of Political Science, International Relations and Public Administration study Napoleonic Code very thoroughly. This Civil Code of France was enacted on 21st March, 1804 and is still in vogue in an amended form. This Civil Code has been implemented in all European countries and is taught all over the world. Indian students also study this Code.

On the other hand, the treatise of Chanakya, 'Arthashastra' is known to all scholars. The principles taught in this treatise are still relevant in present-day scenario. Even then, the students of Political Science in India don't study this book which displays the political acumen of Chanakya. This is not included in the syllabus of B.A or M.A of any Indian university. Those who study this wonderful treatise do that because of their own interest.

Indian students study Napoleonic Civil Code forgetting Chanakya's Arthashastra.
    The Kautilya's Arthashastra evolved between the 2nd and 3rd century BC whereas the Napoleonic Code was established under Napoleon I in 1804.

The Napoleonic code became an influence on most of Europe primarily due to Napoleonic Wars. The main elements of Napoleonic Code are freedom of religion, establishment of a system of civil service where government jobs would go to the most qualified and not allowing privileges based on birth i.e. nobility.

I don't know about the syllabus of various courses taught in Indian universities but in my opinion the Kautilya's Arthashastra should be read for broadening the vision on various strategic issues.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

The tree leaves in the house are not useful for us as medicine even though it is a very good medicinal plant. This is the meaning of a saying in Telugu. The curry of the neighbour is very tasty even though it is very bitter. This is the meaning of another saying in Telugu.This is a very truereflection of our thinking regarding our own capacities, A child will give more value to the teachings of the teacher than the teachings of the mother.
    The syallabus of various courses in various universities will be having a lot of influence of European system of education. They never think of using the inherent treasure of knowledge available in our Indian history and books. The other countries are trying to u derstand our old books and use them for their betterment. Unfortunately we never realise the importance of the valuable works done by elders.

drrao
    always confident

To answer the question of Mr. Kailash Kumar, I must state that Kautilya's Arthashastra is not included for detailed study by any Indian University.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

Studying the Napoleonic Civil code would be useful to the students who look at the global platform for work and career in the related field. Does the rest of the world know about 'Arthashastra'? will this be a handicap for the students who have their eyes on international jobs? There could be other such reasons isn't it?

The syllabus for any study or course will be set by a team of experts in the field and it runs for a long time before somebody changes it. Similarly, this could be sidelined or put in the back burner by someone and forgotten. I have not read Chanakya's Arthashastra, if it is so good, then why not some learned expert of political science/Indian history suggest this to the relevant committee.

Who will include Arthashastra in the syllabus? Those fossilized professors who are not able to think new? Those who prevent new ideas? Even if somebody does (includes Arthashastra in Political Science syllabus), the westernized media would hound him, ridicule him. This is the sad truth about India.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

• Sign In to post your comments