You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

April 13th, a day in Indian History

During the rule by British they levied tax on edible salt. To protest this Mahatma Gandhi proceeded Dandi yatra. In order to support Mahatma,Rajaji in Tamilnadu proceeded a yatra from Trichy to Vera rajyam on April 13,1930. During this period many supporters of Tamilnadu extended their hands to Rajaji. Police attacked the yatra people violently. This day became a remarkable day in the war of independence. A notable incident during this was a barber named Vairappan as British police attacking vehemently, heard and stopped his shaving work to a British Policemen. Inspite of request by the policeman he,Vairappan refused to finish the shaving. On remanding before magistrate the magistrate ordered him to finish the job.But severely refused Vairappan put his instrument box on the table. The magistrate ordered Vairappan six month imprisonment but Vairappan did not worried about anything.
    This is a good information. Dindi March is very famous and all over India, many people participated in this movement. The incident narrated by the author indicates the strong desire of the people in India for getting independence to the country. We should be proud of all our forefathers who participated in freedom fight and brought India the independence. The people like Vairappan showed their braveness and ready to go to prison instead of accepting the order given by the court. We are safe today in an Independent country because of the sacrifices have done by many people like him.
    I am proud to say you all is my grandfather(Mother's Father) participated in Dindi March in his native place along with many other leaders. He also participated in Foreign clothes burning and he used to wear only Khadi clothes through out his life.

drrao
    always confident

Pranams rao ji. I am happy to know that you are from freedom fighter family.Jai Hind.

My heartfelt respect to the humble barber Vairappan who dared to take on the mighty British administration. These common people of India contributed the most for the independence of the country, but history is silent about their subsequent life. Thanks to Mr. Pattabiraman for informing us (me) about this great soul.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence

Great to hear about Mr.Vairappan, the barber for standing up against the law. Mr.Rajaji led the march from Trichy to Vedaranyam.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.