You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Can we ask a question in Ask Experts and also reply for the same?.

Dear Editors,

Just a small clarification. There is a question in the Ask Expert section.
    How to attain perfection in writing and speaking English.
    The profile of the author asking the question and one of the replies are the same. Are we/members allowed to raise a question and answer the same question?

I have not noticed this earlier, hence the doubt.
    I too happened to leave my reply in that thread so I understood immediately what you're talking about.
    The person to raise the thread wasn't answering from my point of view but reiterating the previous responses if you look closely. I also observed that he got 0 points for that.
    So, no. You can comment on your own thread but as a follow up question but not an answer.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

I remember that about more than a year ago I had raised a similar question in the forum section and the outcome of the discussion was that there is no bar as such on an author replying his own question raised in the Ask expert section.

The ISC being a website is primarily concerned with increasing traffic for generating revenue, a fraction of which is shared with the members also in the form of CCs and RSB. Thus as long as the questions and answers are of good quality (read having potential of generating more traffic), it doesn't matter as to who has raised and who has replied it.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

This same AE thread was already brought to the notice of the Webmasters. They are permitting it this one time but will not allow it as a practice. The member, too, has been informed accordingly.
    When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

One thing, though - the person posting the question can put an answer if it is for the purpose of correcting some details given in an answer posted by another member or he/she would like to know some more details & posts a further query in the same AE thread.
    When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

It makes no sense if the same person is putting the question and answering the same. Generally. in ASK Experts section the doubts we have can be asked and the person who knows the answer can be answered. This is the natural way to happen. So now it is very clear that the same person can't answer. But I don't know whether one can post the question and answer can be from the same as an anonymous candidate.In this case, also the members may not know who is that candidate but Editors may be able to understand the candidate.
    drrao
    always confident

I am confused if the clarifications posted by ME are in respect of a specific post mentioned in the thread raised by the author or it applies in all cases.

My specific curiosity is to know if an author can post reply of his own question raised in the ask expert section.

Thanks for the clarifications by the ME. @Aditya, you were the first to reply but the the author's reply (#149950) also has been awarded 4 points and 4 c.c.

I am confused if the clarifications posted by ME are in respect of a specific post mentioned in the thread raised by the author or it applies in all cases.

My specific curiosity is to know if an author can post reply of his own question raised in the ask expert section.

Once again I would like to make it clear that the very purpose of posting a query in AE section is to seek an advice from the Experts or member by virtue of their experience. As such, it is not permissible to post an answer to our own AE query.
    In the present case, points and c.c were given to the response by the same author based on its quality due to oversight and the same are withdrawn.

Regards,
    Jagdish

Thanks Mr. Jagdish Patro, we can lock this thread now.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.