You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Have you ever used used pillows stuffed with fibers of silk-cotton tree?

The pillows support the head and neck as a part of beddings while sleeping. There are other types of pillows also to support the body when lying down or sitting e.g. cushions used on beds, couches or chairs.

I remember using pillows stuffed with seeds of 'semal' tree (Bombax ceiba). The tree is known as Shimul in Bengali language and Ximolu in Assamese language. I don't know its name in the other major languages of India though its common names included 'Simool Tree or 'Malabar Silk -cotton Tree of India'.

In India, traditional pillows were made by using the fluffy, glossy fruit-fibres of silk cotton tree as fillings of the pillows instead of synthetic fillers like foam or polyester fiber of nowadays.

Have you ever used used pillows stuffed with fibers of silk-cotton tree?
    For the first time I am coming across the pillows stuffed with fibers of silk cotton tree fills. In our house we have ordinary pillows which contains white cotton filling.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

In our place earlier it was only the silk cotton that was used to fill pillows , bed etc.
    It was only after I was working in Tamil Nadu that I saw the real cotton plant and cotton from that. It was a crop cultivated in Tamil Nadu . Later on I used get to see it in Maharashtra also.

That was same as the just one plant , which my father planted for some medicinal purposes at my home during my childhood.. It was called as "Kuru panji'-seeded cotton. I could relate to it only after seeing the cotton cultivation later as noted above.

We had a silk cotton tree in our home backyard then..The fruits( or nuts) used to ripe and then dry during the summer vacation time. The outer shell used to crack and the silky light fibres would get thrown which will be lifted by wind and go on like that. We also used to 'fly' the fibres by blowing on them. The ripened fruit would be collected and dried on the yard. Then we would break them controlled way and get it de-seeded by the professional who will be visiting homes. The fibres would then be used to fill home made pillows.

There were dealers who used to contract buy the silk cotton seed(fruits) when they were still unripe and then harvest them after they ripened. Silk cotton trees were very common in our place those times. Now I rarely see them.

Yes, I have heard that and long back I have seen its use. But I don't know the benefits of this particular type of pillow.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

We call that as BURUGU DOODI in Telugu. The material is very soft and the pillows are very soft and they are much better than the pillows we are using these days. In my childhood days, we used to have a bed with ordinary cotton (Which we use for making light in the temple) and pillows with this silk cotton threads. Those days these sponge beds are not there. The cotton silk is very light and like fibreglass pieces, they float in the air. The beds made of this cotton is like a waterbed and will have very good cushion effect. I like these pillows much better than the sponge and fibre pillows.
    drrao
    always confident

I've never used this pillow but in our villages played with the cotton fibers from the seeds(in Tamil, they are called as paruthi maram/kottai) during the school holidays. Abroad, we've used goose feather pillows that are also very soft and the pillows will be of a bigger size. Now we have the thin synthetic pillows, we use the hypoallergenic ones.

I haven't used these type of pillows, as most of the people prefer to choose cotton pillows and one which is made of silk is too expensive than cotton pillows. Most of the people who are having ordinary life will be using cotton pillows.
    "Earning knowledge is by sharing it with ISC and we will rectify our mistakes."

• Sign In to post your comments