You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do ’bye’ stands for ’be with you everytime’?

Recently through a social media message, I came to know that the word 'bye' is actually an acronym of the phrase ' be with you everytime'. I was not aware of this fact earlier and therefore wish to discuss it with the fellow ISCians to confirm it.

Similarly, goodbye is a word used to express good wishes when parting. It is believed that this word originated from the phrase 'God be with you'. Bye Bye is another phrase used to convey similar feelings.

What are your opinion in this regard? Do 'bye' stands for 'be with you everytime'?
    That is a new idea. I never heard this and thought about this. Let me think about this new idea.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

For the first time I am coming across the word bye and its new meaning. And some times we write bye election for the polls held in between, then that all meaning the same ?
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

#633728 - It is surprising that the author is 'coming across the word bye' first time. 'Bye' is shortened version of the word goodbye e.g. as used in the sentence -

'Okay, Mahan ji. I'll call Sun now. Bye.'

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

All these days I am thinking the bye is bidding farewell for the time being. But now through this, another definition has come out. I never know that bye is used to convey that ' be with you everytime'. I think this is an interpretation made by somebody recently. No dictionary conveys this. Anyhow it is good to know.
    drrao
    always confident

'Bye, see you tomorrow' - is a common phrase we use at the end when we meet or chat with a friend. Thus it is imperative that we are not going to depart with or saying farewell. It communicates the meaning the friendship is forever and they are going to meet soon. The social media message is right and the true reflection of the feeling of the person who says the word 'bye'.
    Regards,
    Jagdish

There is a super market in Hyderabad which is named as 'Goodbye Super Market ". Even I was amused with that name in the beginning but now understood the essence of that name.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan sir, for elections in between due to a death etc of an elected member we use 'by-election' not 'bye'.
    I've used the term bye-bye without knowing this full form. Incidentally, the definitions of the bye are entirely different from what we are discussing. Is it just a social media invention or really it is the full form?

Bye stands for - Be Yourself Ever (Please don't ask me to quote authority) You can take me as an authority for this.
    No life without Sun

#633840 - It is not purely a media invention as the given full form is listed in abbreviation.com
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

• Sign In to post your comments