You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why the forum is dull?

I just happened to log in this site yesterday after a long outstation/overseas trip and surprised to see that many stalwarts/die-hard forum members are absent or left the site for good. Why is it so? It appears no fruitful/interesting/brainstorming/fiery discussions are happening here. I can say that once it was a very fascinating site for everybody.

This is the time for introspection.

Why are the members leaving abruptly? My personal opinion is, whether the people running this site like it or not, that Forum Editors are responsible for this sad state of affairs. I do not know who and all are they. Abrupt deletion of threads/responses without intimation is considered as backstabbing which nobody like. Majority of the members are not school children to learn from those Editors. Respect the members and their feelings. Members have self-respect.

I do not have any personal/commercial interest in this site. I am here just for fun/free time spend. If people responsible for running this site are taking my opinion in a constructive way, we can bring this forum back to our glorious period.

Dear members, speak up. Don't hide, Braveness is glorious than negative points or deletion!
    Neeraj,
    What you said is truth nothing but truth only. Really, the Forum has lost its glory and charm that it had earlier. It is attributable to the editors who delete the threads and thread responses abruptly without proper reason and the admin supports it blindly.

No life without Sun

It may be a reason but it may not be the only reason. There may be many other reasons for this. These days the participants are less and only a few members are responding continuously and many of us don't want to get into controversies and always try to maintain a low profile. The participation from new members with good contributions may be the need of the hour. Many members here are regular. They come for few days. Take a break and again come after some days. This may be another reason for this dullness in the forum section.
    drrao
    always confident

Too many new rules, no freedom, every thread has been stopped, checked, scanned and then then passed with the editors , and of course they have the compulsion to work under. We cannot discuss about political leaders, we cannot discuss about caste, we cannot discuss about religion and we should not raise threads on general character enhancing issues. We cannot criticize a government nor a official. And we should not raise any such threads which had already appeared and we should not raise any posts which has resemblance of already running thread. So these were the some of restrictions through which this forum running and some members are successful in raising some good threads and many are failing and fall under the axe of watchful eyes of the editors and thus either we are being penalized for bad thread of not good content or getting cut in points.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Imposing too many restrictions may restrict members to respond with freedom become curtailed. This may be the reason for many active members shying away from the forum. I think except for abusing others personally in forum, forum should provide individual expression of freedom without any restriction. In other sites like us, in Quora all sorts of discussions from every sphere of life occurring without any restrictions. Why not in our forum section?

Nicely said. When Quora can allow discussions of all sorts, then why not ISC. If this kind of restriction continues, we may face further depletion of contributions by members.
    K Mohan

ISC is afraid of politicians, the government, the God and the religion, and editors are judgemental to few members.Hence ISC imposes restriction to curtail the liberty and freedom of the members to express their frank views opinion and thoughts.
    No life without Sun

I don't want to make any comment as for this site also having its own terms & conditions on which the members are instructed to follow the rules. In the short period of time everything looks attractive but in the long run facts can be coming out giving an impression of about we should continue or look out for the alternatives.

Other then the current thread, I have also come to know from the fellow members that others too have got benefited from this site. So it's ok.

This will remain the case that each one of us take a note from their personal experiences as well. So keep going.

ISC is particular about it's policies not only today but since quite some time and members are aware of it. So there is no shift in it's approach to forum posts in recent times.

In my opinion the reason for dullness is a large number of posts which members are not able to attend and diverting from one to another.

Another thing is many similar posts are there and repetitive expressions are common. One solution which comes to my mind is that if concerned ISC editors feel so they can club similar threads in one GD to make the discussion focussed and more vibrant. Only thing is we will have a few GDs going on simultaneously.

Knowledge is power.

Hello,

Welcome back to ISC.

If you see the number of responses to this thread and other threads in the forum, you will see that our core members are still active and with us very well! A lot of discussions and debates still happen here and I don't think there is any reason to blame our editors!

regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

There could be other reasons apart from the strict policing of the forum. Are we running out of relevant topics, time constraints, the annual school holiday season these would be the likely reasons?

It's easy to post threads on various aspects but to have a meaningful thread it needs some thought process, time and a good topic or point. I've noticed new members starting to contribute to the forum.

Maybe we can the editorial team posting threads in the forum to add fresh insights and talent.

Welcome Tony with your response. Please give some freedom to us to express in forthright manner and let the editors also be trained to have restraint , then rest assured our forum would be further glowing with pride.
    K Mohan

I agree with the views Ramakrishna and CO... There are many reasons associated...
    1)Freedom of Expression is curtailed.
    2)The threads and topic which are chosen for the Awards and Awardee list are all unique.
    3)I personally feel some of the Forum Editors(I can write their names but they know whom I am referring) should be replaced.
    4)Forum Editors are responsible for this sad state of affairs.
    5)I am not at all disappointed that I am not honored with awards when I am busy and not writing threads I just looked at the glance in the Website and Tow winners.Poor selection in picking the threads as winners.Repeated forum threads are chosen as award winners nothing new in those threads. The Forum thread winners and awards list look like Telugu Movie stories.

A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

K Mohan

Yes Mohan sir, As Experience writer like you finding a fault with the Editor its high time the Webmaster to look into it and do the Needful.
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

No life without Sun

Nice observation Sun. In fact I had also raised the same point some times back as to why the editors are not raising topics so that the forum should be kept alive and trending. And when members raise something new and creative, immediately it was either deleted or subdued down with negative writing from the editor and that the member gets bowed down and wont show interest for future.
    K Mohan

There will always be rules regarding what is accepted or not. There will always be rules regarding what can be edited or not.

In fact, I do find a huge amount of discussion on various topics, and some of it centers around some criticism of the Government policies, particularly those of the Central Government. Am Members, we need to follow all the rules without any deviation.

Am sure that more members will also come in, the days and months to come.

One more reason I feel is summer vacation and people may be spending time with their family and maybe going on tours and trying to spend more time with site seeing and enjoying. Probably they are not finding time to peep into this site and hope the responses will increase again.
    drrao
    always confident

Please don't make personal comments on editors or any member. Contributing to any section depends on the time they can contribute for ISC and other factors.

I am talking about the scenario when I joined this site during Oct'13 and actively contributing as a member till May'15 before I joined the Editorial team. I never felt the axe from editors but the war of words between senior members using abusive language. Some female members were also targetted and they left the site. Yes, we are very stringent in action taking all these factors into account during the last couple of years. Perhaps new members like Bhushan may not be aware of the developments in this site but senior members can't escape from the responsibility of accepting these bitter facts.

Regards,
    Jagdish

In my response # 635015, what I said and questioned was right. I have not abused or insulted or used any defaming words against any editor or member in that response. Yet my response got deleted and -20 awarded. If such is the attitude of ISC, then how the members will be free to express their views and thoughts? The concerned editor or the admin should have been kind enough to answer my question than deleting it.

By this, I lost my interest in working with IndiaStudyChannel.

@Mr. Tony:
    Take my this note seriously and also as a fun.
    No doubt that you are well established and ISC has grown like a Himalayan. If you exercise strictness over the members, and if you lose a member, it is like losing a small hair. But, if you exercise strictness over your editors, and if you happened to lose an editor, it would be like losing your finger. This is the chief cause that you support your editors for their wrong doings. But remember, if you lose all your hair one after the other, then ISC will be bald. (Just think it over without deleting this response)

No life without Sun

Happy to see that the thread author is allowed to say frankly which is not been seen for long time. The forum is dull because some editor started behaving like a BOSS. Their action become more personal then practical. The Editors are given so much power that they can say or do anything to member but if member say the same, they will delete the post provide minus point as per their will. Some of the action in present are done as if like taking revenge. Providing minus points as per their wish even if don't require. They can "tag" and "shout" as per their liking of members. The latest example is in guidelines thread by ME, which is been acted to hide their own fault.

The members do not say it openly does not mean they don't understand it. Members are not fool either.

#634991, Tony Sir, with due respect to your editorial panel. But at the same time majority of the members feelings in this thread discussion does go against some editor. It may look for you that there is no fault of editor because it do not directly affect you, but at the same time as a Webmaster you need to take some action for members. Who are losing the faith of editors. We members most of us are here not because of earning but for our own love and interest. Let we too have some respect from your editors.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

Thanks friends for the open and frank responses.
    My observations are not to blame/hurt anybody.
    Though, I made some critical remarks, allowing this thread to open for members' discussion itself is a positive sign.
    I found some critical remarks about awards/rewards etc which I am not agreeing. Contests/awards/rewards etc are making this site more live and exciting. As they are highly creative in nature, decision will be at the sole discretion of the contest organizer, I believe. I always accord my greatest regard to the organizer.

Finally, request all my friends to take the criticism/suggestions/opinions etc expressed by the members in this thread in a positive note and we can move forward and make this forum more exciting.

Cheers to everybody!

I request, this thread may be closed.

I love chocolates and ice creams!

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.