You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

This thread is for pair of words which may confuse in using.

In English, there are many pairs of words which may confuse while using and some even give very much opposite or contrary meaning.

One such pair I recently come across is humility and humiliate. Humiliation is abasement while humility is the quality of humble.

Members may come with such pairs of words for more knowledge and even they may post their experience while hearing, reading or writing if any.
    My good pair of words - Right, rite & write . All these three words sound similar but their meaning varies lot.
    No life without Sun

Two such similar kinds of words with different meanings are 'weak' and 'week'. Both carry different meanings.
    Do what inspires you !!

'Compliment' and 'complement' are the words which sound the same. The meaning of the two words is different. Compliment is an expression of praise. Complement is a word used to attribute extra features.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Little and a little. Little means nothing. I ate little means I have not eaten anything. I ate a little means i ate some small quantity.
    drrao
    always confident

My another pair of confusing words - liter & litter. Liter is an unit of measurement for liquids, whereas litter is the rubbish left in places.
    Trial & Trail - Carrier & Career - Ice & eyes - Steel & Steal - Former & Farmer - Peace & piece - Moral & Morale - Here & Hear - Their & There - Save and Shave -Sit & Shit -Earn & Yearn - Sum and Some -Same & Shame -Seer & Sheer - Short and Shot - Of & Off - In & Inn - See & Sea & She - Shoulder & Soldier - Course & Coarse - Hair & Hare - Form & Farm - Read & Reed -Saw & Saw - Roll & Role - Bag & Back , and much more I can say.

No life without Sun

My pairs of confusing words are:
    1. accept and except
    Accept means to receive something and except means something which is not included.
    2. Affect and effect
    Affect means to make a change and effect mean the result.

Honesty is the best policy.

A good thread indeed.

There are many such words in English which confuses with its pronunciations but the meaning is totally different.

There and Their
    There meaning a place or position while Their mean related to people

Whether & Weather
    Whether meaning expressing doubt or choice between alternatives while Weather mean the state of atmosphere or talking about time of different seasons.

A good thread to improve our vocabulary or understand better.

Veal:meat from a young one of a cow or buffalo
    Weal:like a rash, a swollen area in the skin after been hit or bruised.

Seel: preventing someone from seeing things
    Seal: the animal we all know or the stick things.

Lose: to misplace or something that's lost
    Loose:something that is not snug or tightly place

Altar: table in religious places

Blue: colour
    Blew: move with force of wind, blowing out candle,

There are many such confusing words.
    For example I give below just a few such pairs.

prospects ; prospectus( probable of having a good future; a brochure or literature giving summary and details)

tire; tyre( fatigue ; tyre of a vehicle)

proceed ;precede( carry on; go before something)

Depreciate;deprecate (lose in value; disapprove)

peruse; pursue( view or read ; take up and follow up something with aim or determination)

This thread has got many pairs of such words, but nobody has come with any experience they have faced with these pairs of words. I would like to say the experience happened in ISC itself with a very recent thread when a member shared by seeing the word Hundial, thought as Hyundai, even these two may be taken as pairs of words with a different context.
    Nice to be in ISC and feel the difference.

When two words sound similar but mean two completely different things its called a homophone.
    English is very famous for homophones. The only other language that comes close to having so many homophones is french.
    A few examples are as follows :
    1. Ate; the past tense to eat
    Eight: the number before 9 and after 7
    2. Bare: something that isn't covered
    Bear: an animal
    3. Eye: the body part you use to see
    I : refers to yourself
    4. Meat: edible flesh of an another animal
    Meet: when you acquaint with someone
    5. One: refers to the number before 1
    Won: Past tense of to win

• Sign In to post your comments