You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread has won a Special Prize in the TOW contest for the week 06th to 12th May '18.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

It may not be suitable if we translate as per our regional language

Every come across English words which may convey a different meaning in a regional language? Share such words which can confuse & help others learn Indian languages!

There are certain words which, if we translate in English and tell other regional language people, may be confusing to them as there may be different words available to them. This came to my mind when I saw this thread where the translation of Planet from Tamil is both as per zodiac sign and also as space planets. In Tamil, both are called Graham.

The same thing happened to me when I translated the birth Natchathra as Star in English when I talked to a north Indian girl but she got confused as there are two different words for birth, namely Natchathra and stars available in space, while both are called as Natchathram in Tamil. (Hope in Hindi, the birth star is called as Natchathra and star in the sky is called as Thara, it may please be clarified by others if I am wrong).

Members may come up with different pairs of words in other languages too which may be confusing.
    Normally those who are well educated they do understand the general words from other language and they corelate and read with next words so that proper understanding happens. In Tamil for the nose we call it Mukku, but in Hindi nakk means Mukku in Tamil but in actual it is the tongue. So a Tamilain gets confused when he talks with other language persons. Likewise in Telugu there is a word called Pramaadham that means dangerous, but in Tamil it means very good. And I hate the most is the famous temple Town of Kumbakonam in Tamil Nadu is referred for scams in Telugu.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I remember a story on a common word "Aama' a Tamil word as well as a Malayalam word meaning Tortoise and Yes. I think I told this story earlier too.
    Once a Tamilian and Malayali were staying together in a jungle room. One evening, a snake entered their room. The Malayali sighted the snake and alerted the Tamilian saying,"Dey Paambadaa" (In Tamil and Malayalam, Paambu means Snake). The Tamilian said,"Aamadaa". (Ama means - Yes). The Malayali said,"Illedaa, Athu Paambadaa (No, it is not tortoise but snake) The Tamilian repeatedly said,"Aamadaa". This was repeated again and again. The Malayali got annoyed and beaten up the Tamil severely. The Tamil cried and complained to the police. The police investigated the matter and found out the real problem of misunderstanding of Aama.

No life without Sun

After reading the response from Sun, I recalled a real joke happened some years ago. Two friends from North went to Chennai for sight seeing and landed in to a lodge but the lodge was full and the owner asked them to wait. Meanwhile another person came for single room and that is available. But he went back for no instant response from the owner. After few minutes the owner asked these two people "ingu Irundhavar engey " those two friends miss took his question "Engirundhu Varengay " that means the lodge fellow asked them where that person who sought single room has gone ? but these people have understood his question as to from where they are coming. Both has been keep on saying Delhi. That owner shot back how come a person who was seen just few minutes back could be in Delhi in a huff. That was the big joke which I enjoyed.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

My only sister got married into a family, who are basically Tamils, but had settled in Palghat for generations. The Tamil that these Brahmins speak, is quite different from that of the Tamil, spoken in Tamil Nadu.

Around 6AM, in the first few days after the wedding, her mother in law asked my sister to bring "vellam". This simply means, water. But in Tamil, it refers to jaggery.

Amused at this request, but fearing the consequences, my sister went straight to the kitchen and asked my mother, who was in the kitchen at the same time, for vellam. My mother too did not understand why the lady was demanding jaggery at that time but still gave it.

When my sister handed over the small quantity of jaggery, her husband, mother in law and all other relatives burst into laughter and my sister was wondering why the people were laughing.

When they explained what went wrong, my sister laughed too. Since then, my sister speaks Malayalam to some extent and can navigate the conversations of anyone from their side, so well.

This was a big joke.

Deleted.
    No life without Sun

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.