You must Sign In to post a response.
Bring out your instruments and cheer the winners of the Alphabetical Contest based on the theme 'The Sound of Music'!
  • Category: Winners

Winners of Music Alphabetical Quick Quiz

While there was an outright winner for the Alphabetical Quick Quiz: The Sound of Music, close nail-biting finishes for the other prizes made us extra busy in checking & double-checking the total points' tally!

Know the answers, though, first -
    1. Zubin Mehta
    2. Yodel
    3. Xylophone
    4. Wagner
    5. Virtuoso
    6. Ululate
    7. Tenor
    8. Sitar
    9. Rhythm
    10. Qmusic
    11. Piano
    12. Orchestra
    13. Notation
    14. Amphitheatre
    15. Beat
    16. Choir
    17. Drum
    18. Etude
    19. Fine Tune
    20. Gulzar
    21. Harmony
    22. Instrument
    23. Jal Tarang
    24. Kishore Kumar
    25. Lata Mangeshkar
    26. Melody
    --------------
    --------------
    The points of the participants are (in the order of the entries received)-
    1. Bala - 49.
    2. Venkiteswaran - 50.
    3. Aditya Mohan - 53.
    4. Juana - 60.
    5. Syed Rizwan - 50.
    6. Natarajan - 52.
    7. Sun - 44.
    8. Umesh - 22.
    9. Soundharya - 52.
    10. Partha - 45.
    11. Hakimuddin - 29
    12. Aliasgar - 29.
    13. Jagdish - 47.
    14. Dhru - 59 (late entry sent during extension after closing time so ineligible for main prizes).
    ----------------
    ----------------

The winner of the quiz with all answers spot on....trumpets, drum rolls.... is Juana. 60 out of 60 ~ super! A cash award of Rs.150/- is her prize. Congratulations!

The other winners are:
    1. Aditya Mohan - Rs.100/-.
    2. Natarajan - Rs.75/-.
    3. Soundharya - Rs.50/-.

Well done, everyone! The points & cc of all participants will be credited by the weekend.

[In case there has been an error in the tally of your points, please inform us in a response to this thread so that we can re-check.]
    My heartiest congratulations to all the winners Juana, Aditya Mohan, Natarajan and Soundharya . Indeed a great musical contest from ISC.
    No life without Sun

My hearty congratulations to Juna Madam for winning the first prize. I also want to congratulate Aditya Mohan, Natarajan and Soundharya for winning the prizes. I got 29 points and I am satisfied since I am not a music lover and had posted my response in very short time. Congratulations to all the participants.
    Honesty is the best policy.

Thanks to our ME for the announcement and congratulations to the winners and participants. Some questions has more than one answer with the same starting letter. Excellent quiz,

My heartiest congratulations to the winner of the contest Juana for getting the all correct answers. My congratulations also to Aditya Mohan, Natarajan and Soundharya for winning awards in the contest. My congratulations to all the participants who won points and cc basing on their accuracy in answers. I missed the contest as I was away from my place and I returned only on Sunday night at 2 AM to my place. All should thank the ISC for conducting such interesting contests and making people brush up their knowledge. Hope many more such contests will come in future. All the best to the winners.
    drrao
    always confident

Oh no! Missed on a prize. Anyway, happy that I could take part and do well. To all the winners and participants, congratulations. It was great of Juana to get them all correct.
    Patience and perseverance pays

Congratulatios to Juana, AdityaMohan & Nataraja for winning prizes in the Music Alphabetical Quick Quiz.

Congratulation to all the winners. Some of us have really done excellent though for many (like me) it was a bit tough.

This was on music. I wish we may have similar ones on different themes in future. These are really good as an exercise of our brain.

Knowledge is power.

Congratulations to all the winners! It was unique. My appreciation to the contest organizer Madam-Ji for the good work.
    I didn't know about music. For me, music means, Rafi saab,Kishor da and Lata ji !

I love chocolates and ice creams!

Brilliant performance by Ms. Juana! Congratulations to Mr. Aditya Mohan, Mr. Natrajan and Ms. Soundharya.

My own performance has been disastrous, to say the least.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

My hearty congratulations to Juana mam for getting the first prize in the Alphabetical quick quiz. I also congratulate the other winners Aditya Mohan, Natarajan and Soundharya. It was yet another wonderful quick quiz.
    Regards
    Rizwan

Quizzes like these not only test your mettle at a subject but now so many different answers could be correct for the same question.

An awesome quiz with awesome twists. Most answers were easy but some really took people's efforts like Qmusic.
    A great quiz saw a great participation too.
    Congratulations to everyone who tried to play this instrument of knowledge.
    I hope your minds are tuned now.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

This was an interesting quiz.

Congratulations to the winning participants.

Natrajan & Aditya - I am eager to know which questions had more than one answer with the same starting letter or the different answers that could be correct for the same question. This is not to start a controversy, but to get educated on the subject Please share the other words with us.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Best wishes and my heartiest congratulations to all the winners Juana,( main winner) Aditya Mohan, Natarajan and Soundharya . Indeed this quiz was unique and members participated in large numbers.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Juana,

A couple of the members gave the answer to No.24 as Maithil Kokil (giving the answer as Kokil Maithil for the 'K' alphabet), a poet & Sanskrit writer, because his real name is Vidyapati, which was mentioned in the clue. The actual reference which is given by me in the clue: the character of Kishore Kumar as Vidyapati in the Hindi film Padosan (which means neighbour). I think members simply typed the name Vidyapati in Google and came up with the poet's name.

I am not aware of which other clues could have more than one answer & would love to know, too!

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

These are the other three that I got wrong ( minus 7 points)
    2.Did I just hear Tarzan's call?! (5)Yodel, I got it as Yeaah. Tarzan's cry
    7. Can be a voice or an instrument (5)Tenor, Tiple: a small guitar like instrument
    12.Variety is the spice of life as far as this group is concerned (9)Orchestra,Obsession - a heavy metal band from USA

The answers I went wrong were:
    2. Did I just hear Tarzan's call?- I answered it as 'Yells".( It is more commonly known as Tarzan's Yell) Right answer was given as Yodel.

4.German music composer, most famous for his Operas -My answer was -Walter. Correct given was Wagner

7.Can be a voice or an instrument- My answer-"Trill"(My mistake happened because of misreading the clue in a hurry)
    12.Variety is the spice of life as far as this group is concerned - my answer was 'Outsiders'(name of American & Dutch Bands)
    Thus I lost 10 points overall.

I was wrong in respect of Question Nos. 2,5,12,19,21. Out of these, I didn't know the answer to Question No. 2; I never heard this word.

As I saw the announcement very late and got less time due to long power-cut and storm, I could not think much. But absolutely no regret!

Vandana –
    Thanks for filling me in on the answer participants got wrong. Just goes to prove that Google should not be trusted, blindly.

Well, the clue to the answers was in the theme of the quiz – it was an "Alphabetical Quiz on the theme of music". So, correct answers ought to have had a connection with music.

Natarajan –
    • I grew up watching Tarzan movies and reading Tarzan comics, and I wouldn't call his 'call' a yeaah. It was more like an aaeeooo…
    • A tipple is quite rightly an instrument, but can it be used to describe a voice?
    • For me, 'orchestra' was the obvious choice

Venkiteswaran
    • I did ponder over 'yells' too, but then opted for yodel, as the latter is connected with music
    • Wagner is the one who is spoken of when opera is mentioned. I did not know the answer and took the help of a Brit

Partha
    • Yodel is something Kishore Kumar became known for. He was perhaps the only Indian singer who experimented with yodeling, in that time. If you have heard the song "Zindagi ek safar hae suhana, yahan kal kya ho kisne janna…" you've heard the famous yodel. Yodelling is quite common in Bluegrass (a particular type of Country music)

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Thanks, Madam! Now I remember. But how Tarzan is related?

Hearty congratulations to Juana, the winner of the Music Alphabetical Quick Quiz contest and also to the other prize winners Aditya, Natarajan and Soundharya!

The rewards to the winners have been credited.

'Our knowledge is a receding mirage in an expanding desert of ignorance'- Will Durant.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.