You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

This is the first time in Tamilnadu. I too suffered.

Members,
    This is the first time the Internet services were stopped in Tamilnadu owing to the ongoing Sterlite problem in Tuticorin where 12 people died in police firing and many police personnel injured. For the last three days, Tamilnadu, especially the districts of Tuticorin, Tirunelveli and Kanyakumari suffered without internet services. I too suffered without the net services for the last three days. I could not login to ISC. The services were restored today 5. p.m.

Did you ever face any such internet problem in your area?

It is really very unfortunate and pathetic that instead of solving the problem in a managerial and logical way, we are going for other peripheral precautions of stopping internet services etc.

Today internet is the lifeline of people and at one side we are singing the songs of online transactions and digital methods but on the other hand, just blocking the internet.

This is really a comic and horrendous situation where a internet user finds himself helpless and handicapped without any fault of him.

Knowledge is power.

I was watching continuously the on going face off on Sterlite issue and the after math thereof and my thoughts went about your safety first as you belong to that district. And I can understand as how it would tied down the daily chores of the people without internet and I have even registered my protest on internet ban in three districts in my twitter handle. Nevertheless, there seems to be victory for the protesters who have been doing so for the past 100 days and the project has been shut down, thanks to the intervention of SC and the center. At least now good sense would prevail in TN government and they wont accept any project against public wishes. Now coming to the violence, you are being local and having first hand knowledge of the issue kindly give us more details about the police firing because we get distorted version in media and press.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Sorry Mohan,
    I too watch TV and get the news. Though I am a Tuticorian studied and brought up in that city, I got settled in Tirunelveli, and presently I am in my own village house near Koodankulam nuclear power project which is 100 Kms away from Tuticorin. Therefore, I won't be able to give any special information on this Sterlite problem. People were protesting, and now succeeded in their attempt after losing 12 lives.

No life without Sun

There were protesters & killing but few are suffered because of Internet connectivity. I can't help here but I like the way the subject has been briefed by Mr. K Mohan.

Adding, that the internet had to be shut down so that any extra damages could be stopped because in somewhat different scenario the problem could have been bigger in terms of property damages & loss of lives.

It is really bad that you faced this problem but fortunately everything is ok and internet facility has been started in your region. We at Neemuch district M.P. also had faced this problem last year at the time of Kisan Andolan for two days.
    Honesty is the best policy.

I never faced any issues with the internet services here in the Delhi NCR region. But yes, there are problems with electricity, power cut-offs have become common.
    Do what inspires you !!

Suspension of internet services is an easy tool to curb the spread of anger and fueling of sporadic violence. I would agree with step in any part of the country because if it helps to reduce destruction of property and harm to people, then our inconvenience is too small when compared to the benefits.

This is purely a lapse on the part of State government. the companies like Sterlite of Vedanta Group are creating pollution problems around the area and even after PCB not approving the issue how the company has gone ahead I don't understand. Now if the problem is sorted out it will be good further violence can be stooped. But still, I can't understand how the police behaved so high handedly in this issue.
    Any such Hazardous factory before starting the establishment itself has to get Consent for Establishment from PCB and after completing the Establishment again they have to get COnsent for Operations from PCB. For this PCB has to conduct a public hearing where the opinion of the public is taken into consideration. I still don't understand how the company overlooked all these.
    The Supreme court and the central government has intervened and sorted out the problem means, a good sign.
    Probably the government has taken the extreme step of blocking internet to avoid propaganda for the issue which may create further problems.

drrao
    always confident

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.