You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

No deletions or negative points, my views in social media gets instant likes running into 100's

With my wider participation and my views on important trending national issues, the hashtags created by in social media are doing wonders and getting immediate impressions running into 100's within minutes and that gives me great pleasure as what ever written in this site are getting more time to review and responded by the members and moreover the deletions, giving zero points, or cutting the points are happening much to the annoy of active members. And all this happens after the threads gets attracting the members to respond.
    Mohan, social media is not moderated while ISC is and you know very well why some of your threads are rejected or the points are reduced for your responses.

Getting likes in a social media platform depends on the number of friends you have and their activity and need not be counted as an acceptance of your views or otherwise unless they post a comment to that effect. Likes in social media are almost just a formality and need not be given too much value.

'Our knowledge is a receding mirage in an expanding desert of ignorance'- Will Durant.

But those so called likes according to you give soothing feeling and fillip to share more instead of coming across deletions and points reductions even for good threads.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The most important aspect of social media is the unhindered flow of information, ideas and opinions. Social media never blocks or obstructs ideas/opinions. A person can like/dislike ideas or opinions. He/She can't block the sharing of information.

ISC is not like that. It is extremely moderated. It hinders the free expression of opinion.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

As pointed out by Partha ISC is an extremely moderated site. Any post by a person will not go unaudited. Sometimes we fail to understand why points are reduced or why the posts are rejected.
    In social media sites, there are no Editors we will edit your posts. You are free to express your opinions as long as you are not doing anything which is illegal. The individuals should think about what they are posting and decide whether we can post it or not.
    Coming to Likes, shares and comments also may not be restricted there and anyone can comment as they like. So we can't compare these two sites. The way is different. The purpose is different and the outlook is different. Also, the participation on ISC is very limited when compared to social sites like Facebook, Twitter etc.

drrao
    always confident

The comparison of ISC with general social media sites is not proper.
    In social media,mostly it is a free for all. Sometimes you will be in the receiving end with merciless comments and hate comments also.You have to be ready for that also. Many times the likes may not be after real evaluation of your content and views. They can be just mechanical and habit.

Whatever happens in social sites you are only responsible and answerable.
    In ISC the site owners and admins are also answerable and responsible. So there is moderation. It cannot then give a free hand to the members. The freedom is bound within certain limits. There is protection, profit and naturally restriction.

Social media, along with knowledge also thrives on controversies, issues and views that are radical, contents that are not regulated on par with ISC.

In social media, the number of likes hints at popularity and trendings but does not reflect the quality and relevance of the content.

At ISC, a deletion, reduction or negative points, implies content that is not appropriate for an educational site/non-adherence to posting guidelines.

Social media is like essay question format, ISC is like MCQ format with negative marking. Both have it's role but cannot be strictly compared.

If it is strictly construed to be a educational site then ISC should not allow any discussion apart from education.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan,
    First of all a very happy birthday to you.
    Now, on which platform do you get 100's of likes?

I am of the firm opinion that the editors should be very strict in moderating the threads and responses. Some of the members respond with complete disregard for the facts. Whatever we are writing here should be facts but not twisted ones and half-truths. There will be some bias in discussions on political matters but it should be objective.

I am unable to understand the negative points. Are they supposed to be deterrent for violation of forum guidelines and personal abuse? If it is so, I do not find any desired result. The editors and management should have a firm policy to deal with such responses. The deletion or minus points are not going to resolve this issue.

" Be Good and Do Good "

"The deletion or minus points are not going to resolve this issue."-Then what is the way to deal with such errant Members? Will permanent suspension help?

First, it should be left to the wisdom of the erring members with a fond hope that they correct themselves. Then it is for the management and editors to decide on what to do.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

If the management and editors decide to allow free expression of all sorts of opinion, views and information, then what would happen?

Members are requested to stick to the topic. Why hijack a thread? Raise another thread if you have a different point to make instead of playing hide and seek as and when you get a chance.
    'Our knowledge is a receding mirage in an expanding desert of ignorance'- Will Durant.

• Sign In to post your comments