You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Meatatarian and non- meatatarian

English has a term Meatatarian, which is often used as meatarian, to denote people who eat meat. In the same context, Vegetarians are those who eat vegetables and opposite to it is Non vegetarian. It means non vegetarians are those who do not eat vegetables. In general, people who eat meat also eat vegetables, so, using the term non vegetarians seems not to be right. Vegetarians can be denoted as Non-meatatarian, because they don't include meat in their diet. Still, we are familiar with the term now, so, not necessary to change anything in representing them.

People can be denoted with right terms like Vegetarian and Meatatarian. If differentiation need to be done, then we need to be differentiate as Meatatarian and non- meatatarian.

PS: This post is about the usage of terms and nothing related to food habits of people. So, please avoid discussion on which food is good to eat.
    We have been habituated to use the word vegetarian to denote those who eat the vegetable based food and non-vegetarian for those who does eat vegetarian and also meat and chicken. And these two words are widely used and thus people are accustomed to differentiate between vegetarian and non vegetarian. But now the author came with different words as to Meatatarian and non meatatarian, which seems to be the cue from vegetarian and non vegetarian. Those who eat meat is called maetatarian and those who do not eat meat is called non meatatarian. That means these two words has been coined out in support of meat eaters first non meat eaters next. Whereas the vegetarian word is in support of vegetarians first and non vegetarians next. Nevertheless it all depends on the users and the understanding of these words which are clear.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Despite being a word approved by Oxford, I think the international usage of "meatatarian" is far too less. To the world outside India people are either vegetarian or normal. And also there are an estimated one million vegans around the world. In India because of the large numbers of vegetarian we take them as a baseline and use the term non vegetarian. To the world outside that isn't the case. Ofcourse there are also huge numbers of vegetarians living outside India but those are not ethnic groups. Those are more like choices people took after the 19th century Animal Rights programmes. Non is Latin for no and saying someone is not a vegetarian is important in a country with a huge chunk of concentrated vegetarianism. Bihar, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and cities of Karnataka all have these concentrated vegetarian population. Well the numbers say that 71% of Indians are non vegetarians.
    And this majority doesn't mind being called non vegetarian. I have not seen "non vegetarian" being used freely around the world. Indians use it the most I assume. The rest of the world, at the most rigid of times and only to create a sense of differentiation or focus, call themselves the meat-eaters. The best way to popularize the term "meatatarian" would be asking chefs around the world to use it.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

I agree with the term Meatarian and Non-meatarian which are meaningful. Surely both the Meatarian and Non- meatarian eat vegetables also. But when we talk about the term Vegetarian and Non-vegetarian, a vegetarian only eat vegetables not any meat. A non-vegetarian would eat both meat and vegetables. I think it is better to follow and use the terms Meatarian and Non-meatarian.

Indeed, this thread is a good food for thought. I am strictly a Meatarian.

No life without Sun

Madam, the words vegetarian and non-vegetarian are so much ingrained in the public mind in India.

Normally, vegetarianism refers to those who eat only plant food, that is, vegetables and fruits and those who eat animal food in any form, including fish, are considered non-vegetarian. This is a totally new word, and thanks a lot for having introduced this word. English is the fastest growing language in the world and, no wonder there are thousands of new words.

I really wonder whether the vegetarians will relish the terminologies involved. Perhaps in the years to come, these words may become famous.

@Mohan Sir, you have mentioned about the terms are coined in support of the category of people. When the differentiation is based on plant eaters, vegetarian comes first and when the differentiation is based on meat eaters, the meatatarian are prioritized. But my intention is not to prioritize or pull down any particular people with usage of different terms.

But on the other side, we used to see the "other" categories or anything that less in majority are listed at the bottom/last. For example, Men, Women, Others.
    Aditya Sir has given a clear statistics that Meatatarian are majority in all part of the world. So, if the order based on food habits to be listed from highest to low means, it would be meatatarian, Vegetarian/Non Meatatarian, Vegan.

Sri Vetri
    Spread Positivism

Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian are the two words we use commonly. But I feel Non-vegetarian is not an apt word. A non-vegetarian will eat vegetables also. But non-vegetarian can be replaced with Meatatarian. It indicates that the person eats Meat. A vegetarian can be also called non-meatatarian. It indicated that he will not eat meat.
    There is another word known as eggetarian which indicates he eats egg. So we have Vegetarian, eggetarian and meatatarian. A vegetarian is a person who eats Vegetarian only. An eggetarian is a person who eats vegetables and eggs. A meatatarian is who eats vegetables, eggs and meat also. We can divide all the people into these three Catagories I think.

drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments