You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Hills are being abondened by their inhabitants because of lack of infra and jobs.

Residents are increasingly leaving their homes in the hills due to various reasons. Is infrastracture & a need to seek work driving them to the cities? What other problems do you think have arisen for them?

I was having a discussion with one of my friends from Uttarakhand and I came to know of a startling fact that people from hills are migrating to plains, especially Delhi/NCR. He told me that around 149 villages have become abandoned because the kids don't want to struggle for basic facilities and also don't want to take up agriculture.

What has added to their problems is the lack of empathy from state government who are not doing enough to maintain the existing infrastructure forget about building new one. Not only their is lack of jobs but also lack of any future growth. They are leaving their beautiful homes in hills in search of jobs and future because they are not getting the required support from their state government.

My friend added that, why will they leave such beautiful places if they have work to do at their places only.

I was saddened on hearing this as I actually want to leave this metro city and go and live in the hills but hearing such sad state of hills I am rethinking of the same.

Shimla water crisis is another example of deteriorating conditions in the hills.
    Unfortunately not every state in India can give infrastructure development and job opportunities to their citizens. Some states are having raw materials but cannot set up the Industries due to poor infrastructure like electricity, water and land. On the other hand some states have good Industries but they are struggling to provide the much wanted raw materials. Many states are not having cordial relations and thus hostilities make them to keep aloof and not cooperating in getting the things done. Some states which has tourism potential they should concentrate on that only and nothing else, other wise even tourists would shy away from visiting.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

This problem does not only pertain to hilly areas but also for many other villages across the country. If we see some villages which were very bright in yearly years are becoming very dull and no activity these days. Young people from these places are migrating to metros and other cities nearby as there are no employment opportunities and other amenities around. The villages are very green without any automobile pollution and Industrial pollution and agriculture is the main source of income here. But the young boys don't want to go for that as they have to work in the field and take more troubles. They feel the jobs in cities are much better than this. As result farmers in the villages are struggling for lack of manpower and these people who are migrating too cities are hopefully waiting for a good job here.
    If the government can see that the developmental activities are decentralised all over the states instead of concentrating on only one place may reduce the problem. Today in Telangana all development is in Hyderabad and all other places are lagging behind. So population in Hyderabad is increasing day by day.

drrao
    always confident

If nothing going good then what could be the reason here?

I would refer to the below points,

1. India is the 2nd most populous country in the world & is growing at a faster pace.
    2. The growing population doesn't comply in accordance to the available natural resources.
    3. Due to lack of infrastructure facilities, the growth & development have been biased to the remotest of locations.
    4. We got lack of quality education, means most of the population can't be referred as the good resource.

I am of the opinion that if the quality education is given some pace then rest of the problems can easily be settled but is not happening. Throughout our education our main motto remains the money & not the personal developmental & for the rest of our lives we move around this.

Above all we have to be matured enough to think beyond the political level because it's our choice to elect the government & if we fail to fulfill this then we are only responsible & no one to blame for this.

This is a huge problem, am told, in the Hindi heartland. Years of neglect is a fact that is very surprising.

I think they need to understand one thing. If the rural infrastructure improves, everything improves. People who are wedded to their own ways of life, do not opt to come out of their places and would like to settle in their own places, and not live a hugely unhappy life in the slums of places like New Delhi.

The planners perhaps need to come to cities like Coimbatore to understand how infrastructure development can transform the lives of ordinary people. The city itself has expanded by leaps and bounds but the hundreds of villages surrounding the city, on all the four sides, is still in tact. Agriculture is still alive, though it is all coconut trees, vegetables and other crops, and not necessarily rice. The farmers are both rich and the small farmers, who still hold on to their lands.

Even when some huge development takes place, the places surrounding the actual center of development, is still very green. A particular deemed University came up in the outskirts of Coimbatore city, some sixteen kilometers away from the city center, in a place called Ettimadai, which was till then, a sleepy village. While several acres of land have been taken away, the University has provided some sort of employment or the other to the locals. The farmers are also happy that the entire area has developed and agriculture is no more the main means of income. In fact, many sons and daughters of the farmers have themselves studied in this Deemed University, and have even gone abroad.

The vegetables cultivated in the farms of the University are given to poor farmers who sell them in the Ettimadai Railway Station for a small profit. Yet, they are quite happy with the income since a huge amount of vegetables get sold anyway. Today, this place is one of the most beautiful places of Coimbatore city, which will simply envelop this area, when the city next expands to cover more areas. ( it has already expanded far beyond its original boundaries ) .

In this fashion, the villagers do come to the city to sell their produce but get back to their villages. The villages develop because the cash flow coming out of agricultural produce is not taxed, but the amount gets spent in the neighboring areas for education of children, medical expenses in the superb city hospitals, in small hotels in the villages, and in buying all essentials from the grocery shops within the same villages. Hence, the concept of co-existence of the village with the city is superb, to say the least.

It also helps that all villages have town buses that connect the village directly or come very near the village. The two wheeler is taken to the nearest stop and then the people travel by buses. The infrastructure in terms of buses and the motor able roads has to be seen to be believed. There are private buses operating to all areas too.

We need balanced development, similar to the Coimbatore model. Of course, in recent years, since the educational levels have increased by leaps and bounds, local labor, for the construction industry is just not available. This gap has been, unfortunately, filled up by the very poor people from the Hindi heartland.

In fact, if nothing is done in terms of development, the exodus of the Hindi people to the developed South and the hugely developing cities like Coimbatore, will continue.

The exodus of people from the hills is an old phenomenon and those who are financially well off are moving to nearby towns or cities in plains. There was a time when due to lack of higher education In hills, many people joined armed forces and after retirement settled in their villages. That somehow managed the show till the pay scales of these persons were at lower ebb. With salaries increasing multifold and banks readily giving the loan for house building, these people started moving to other places.

Slowly the well offs have deserted the hills and only those who can not afford to move out have remained there. The main problem in hills is low crop yield and lack of employment opportunities as manufacturing and industrial activities are very low. People after their education are solely depending on Govt jobs and teaching jobs in school or colleges.

Knowledge is power.

It is sad, but we need to really analyze whether they are leaving for lack of infrastructure or for the want of a better city life?

If you look at a city like Bangalore, it has burst its seems a long while ago, there are migrants colonies at most places, people doing various jobs, a good number become hawkers at the roadside and at traffic signals pleading people to buy something.

I'm amazed at Mr.ABSIVAKUMAR's reply. Great to hear that development can come from educational institutions in villages and transform their lives yet preserve agriculture and greenery.

• Sign In to post your comments