You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why only for these places of worship?

I usually visit the Balaji temple which is nearby my home every Sunday. Today morning I was discussing with the Executive Officer and the priest there about the money the temple got in the Hundi as they have opened the Hundis and counted the money. They told me that they received about 1.4 lakhs and the EP told me that they have to pay 15% of the amount to the government as a tax. He also said the tax payment will be done by only the Hindu places of worship whereas other religion's places of worship need not pay any tax. I fail to understand the policy of the government. Why this discrimination between religions in a country which is supposed to see all the religions equally. Is the country really secular?
    I do understand that when temples come under the purview of Endowment department , they have to part with money. And the government would be looking for such private temples where there is good turnout of devotees and take over the same under their direction. In fact they have to fund the temple and that is what TN government is doing. That means where there is a famous and old temple but the visits by devotees are less, the daily expenses are taken care of government . But again that was not done during DMK regime. And in other religious places, there is no Hundi system as such as they collect funds and donations from their faiths for particular task or work and that is accounted for by the committee members and thus government interference is prevented. But temples have Hundis and that bothers the government.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I've heard that churches and mosques don't pay taxes too.
    But let's talk about the second richest temple in india, Tirumala Tirupathi devasthanam. The Hundi collection there is directly exempt of all taxes. It's an other issue that Tirupathi runs trusts. You see, 15% of donations are exempt in religious institutions and the other 85% are exempted too, if the institutions run charities and trusts.
    I honestly don't even care. We Hindus shower temples with tons of jewelry and money every year. The donations obtained by Hindu temples are far far greater than that of other of religious institutions. I feel that it is rather a great thing to do. The recent changes made in tax exemption states that anonymous donations beyond 1 lakh is taxable. So that is why the temple you visited is under taxation.
    Now the reason why churches are exempt of tax because, churches don't make such money.
    Masjids have a different type of donation system, the one similar to that of the Gurudwara where the worshippers gather all the contributions and the donation is directed to a specific cause. Which means that the tax is exempted.
    But all religious institutions do pay GST.
    I would like to conclude that since Hindu temples make a lot of money and then there are a lot of Hindu temples, literally in every nook and corner of India, it's only better if they are subjected to income tax if they are not indulging in any service.
    This is no hostile take over securalism but a well thought plan focussing over economy.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Whenever rules and regulations are made to extract tax from religious places then there are many ifs and buts associated with that. Some temples escape tax net in the name of trust or running social institution while others who can not manipulate are caught in the tax network.

So it is the intelligence and networking of temple managers which helps them to escape tax or pay tax. Govt is not forcing one particular community or temple to pay tax.

Knowledge is power.

I have been researching this issue for last twenty years or so (since the time I first came to know about this medieval diktat). The simple answer would be very controversial. The answer is this is happening because India is a secular republic and so Hindus have to pay the price. There is no other answer suitable to explain this fact.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

A simple search on the Google will give all the relevant information. It is wise to know the facts before commenting on this matter.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

The government of India had to put out a press release On 3rd July 2017, which stated, "There are some messages going around in the social media stating that the temple trusts have to pay the GST while the churches and mosques are exempt. This is completely untrue because no distinction is made in the GST Law on any provision based on religion. We request the people not to start circulating such wrong messages on social media."
    " Be Good and Do Good "

It is not about GST. # 638253. They may be collecting tax in another form. I am not having full knowledge. But one thing is sure that the temples are paying 15% of their Hundi income as Tax. I advise the most learned member of the ISC to talk to some senior official on this subject and can share his inputs. I can come out of my ignorance with his inputs after talking to a senior official. I have made this thread only after talking to the concerned EO and seeing the challan. Probably the EO of this temple unnecessarily paid the money.
    drrao
    always confident

The temples in India have to pay the following taxes:-
    (I) Capital Gains tax: The capital gain arising from the transfer of a property held by temple/charitable trust.
    (II) Anonymous Donation: Anonymous donation received by the temples is taxable.

A Member has brought GST in the discussion. Is he trying to confuse the Members? How is GST applicable in this case?

Thank you, Partha. Now I understood that what information I have given in this thread is not wrong. I never mentioned about GST in my post. But some people are getting confused and trying to confuse me also. It is wise to know the facts before commenting not only on this matter but on any matter, I think.
    drrao
    always confident

#638292: Thanks for the sarcastic compliment. The temples registered with the Endowments Department of Andhra Pradesh come under the Endowments Act. The temples have to pay 15% of the gross income to the Government of Andhra Pradesh. The Endowments Department is a non-plan one. The salaries of the employees of the Endowment Department are paid from the money so collected. Any expenditure for improvements and repairs to the temples are met from the money collected through the 15% tax on temple income. Another 5% of the assessable income of the temples whose annual income is more than Rs 50000/ known as Common Good Fund is also collected from the temples to be utilized according to the guidelines issued.
    The Masjids, Dargahs etc, pay 7% of the gross income to the Waqf Board. This is the information gathered from the President of Waqf Board at my place. I do not have any knowledge about the funds and maintenance of the churches. For one thing, the Masjids and Churches are maintained on their own but not by the Government, unlike the Hindu temples.

The Government of India exempted the 'prasadams' of temples from GST after protests. The ingredients, however, are subject to GST. No discrimination is made on the religious basis.

"The tax payment will be done by only the Hindu places of worship whereas other religion's places of worship need not pay any tax. I fail to understand the policy of the government. Why this discrimination between religions in a country which is supposed to see all the religions equally. Is the country really secular?" --- I want the author of the thread and the gentleman who researched this subject for 20 years, to provide proof that there are exemptions from the Government for other religions from paying any tax.

" Be Good and Do Good "

#638319.
    Thanks for the detailed answer and the points I notices are
    1. The Masjids and Churches are maintained on their own but not by the Government, unlike the Hindu temples. Why is this? Why can't all Hindu temples be maintained by the Hindus?
    2. The Hindu Temples pay 15% to the Government and only 7% of the gross income by some other places of worship to the Waqf Board. Why this difference in rate? why can't it be made uniform?
    In my opinion, these two points are sufficient to show the discrimination.
    Further, I don't want to extend on this and leave it here.

drrao
    always confident

#638319: Mr. Rao, you have not provided the proof sought by me. Do not make unsubstantiated comments. The Masjids pay to Waqf Boards but not the Government. The Hindu temples are very rich and the Government is acting as "Dharmakarta" to safeguard them and their properties.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Waqf boards are taking care of their places of worship and the government is taking care of Hindu temples, WHY? Is it that Hindu's can't take care of their temples. If anyone has a doubt they can visit Chilukuru Balaji Temple. Why 7% to Waqf board and 15% to the government? Why can't it be 7% to government also?
    drrao
    always confident

How long can the discriminatory regulations be put under the carpet in the name of secularism? People are now getting information from all corners. They can't be fooled so easily.

Mr. Rao, I am still waiting for the proof of your statement, which is pending. I do not find any substance in the arguments put forward.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

# 638335. Whatever I can say I have told in my last post. Nothing more or nothing less I can say. Anybody can make their own inferences. My statement I have already made. Thank You for your interest in the subject.
    drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments