You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

In summer, let us not ignore eggplant (brinjal)

This is one of my favourite vegetables. But I have seen that many people don't take eggplants. The reasons behind the aversion of eggplants are not known to me. But this common and more or less cheap vegetable contains fibres and anti-oxidants. The unique flavour and texture of the eggplant allows itself to a variety of cooking methods. Eggplant can be roasted or grilled with a light coating of olive oil/mustard oil for an excellent main dish or side dish. It is an excellent source of dietary manganese, molybdenum and potassium. Eggplant is also rich in vitamin K, magnesium, copper, vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate and niacin. Eggplant also contains chlorogenic acid which can lower bad cholesterol.

Nowadays eggplant is available throughout the year. So, let us not ignore eggplant this summer. However, the patients of hyper-thyroidism may consume this vegetable after taking advice from the physicians.
    In both the Telugu States Brinjal is a very famous vegetable. Many people like it in these two states. Different varieties of dishes can be made with this and they are very tasty. Generally, you will not find any function without a dish made of this vegetable. We can make fry, curry by mixing onion and chillies with brinjals. We can make chutney also with this vegetable. We can make bajjis also with this vegetable. But in summer the vegetable will have a little sour taste. We should be careful in selecting the pieces.
    drrao
    always confident

I am very fond of Brinjal but in our family they wont like. Irrespective of any season this vegetable is available in plenty and cheaper too. Luckily in most of the Mess, the food is served with brinjal curry which is a must for Telangana people. And yesterday there was a rush for the fish by the non vegetarian people for being the Mrigashira Karthik day and for the vegetarian they felt like having brinjal which almost looks like fish curry once deep fried. Such is the crazy for the vegetable and it can be so tasty if the basin floor are added.. There are many varieties to prepare Brinjal curry and I like the most.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

deleted
    I love chocolates and ice creams!

Brinjal is a common and easily available vegetable. As author has rightly put up, it is a source of so many natural minerals and supplements. We take this vegetable regularly and if this is prepared properly there is no bitterness in this.

I personally like stuffed brinjal vegetable which is normally prepared with smaller brinjals. The stuffing contains meshed boiled potatoes, meshed tomatoes, grated onions, spices etc and is a very delicious dish.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments