You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread is being pinned. Please post all you want to about the World Cup as a response to this thread only.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

FIFA-2018! Football World Cup tournament from today

The 21st world cup football tournament is starting from today. The first game is between Russia and Saudi Arabia. 32 countries are participating and a total of 64 games will be played. The whole world is waiting eagerly to see the inauguration of this tournament. The tournament will run for 32 days. Today the first match can be seen live on Sony TV. The winning team will get Rs.258/- crores as prize money. I hope we all will enjoy these matches for a month and the best team will come out as the winner.

All the best to all the participating countries.
    Duplicate.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

I am eagerly waiting for the matches to be played by Germany and Brazil. What i the time difference between Russia and India?

Yes the worlds biggest football feast is going to treat us and that is the reason being so even Russian President Putin has advised the teams for a joyful event coupled with some nice moments.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

All the best to all the participating teams!
    'Don't miss the Donut by looking through the hole'- Anonymous.

Members are requested to post all they want to about the World Cup in this thread only instead of raising different threads on the event. Hope you will all co-operate. Let us have a fair play!
    'Don't miss the Donut by looking through the hole'- Anonymous.

Russia made its start with a victory. Initially before the start of the game there was a doubt about the chances of Russia winning the game. But Russia proved them wrong and they are successful. Hope the coming matches will be more exiting.
    drrao
    always confident

As expected the first match was strong and challenging and the Russia won it with grace. The charging atmosphere for the every goal made makes this game more interesting.
    K Mohan

Let's have some interesting discussions on the 2018 FIFA World Cup and not just mere reporting of the games.

I have a query: Why are the team coaches who stand on the sidelines always in full suit? They will be immaculately dressed in formal clothes, complete with tie and good footwear as well. Is this some kind of official rule?

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

#639325: I simply don't know. In my earlier days when I regularly used to go to the football ground, the coaches used to wear informal dresss. Many of them used to wear shorts. Most probably this is a new FIFA rule.

As far as my knowledge goes this is as per the norms of the tournament. This is prescribed dress code for the coaches.
    drrao
    always confident

In the opening match, host Russia beat Saudi Arabia 5-0. Russia displayed all-round superiority throughout the match. In the first half, the hosts led 2-0. After half-time, Russia scored three more goals.

It was a great beginning for the hosts.

It seems the Portugal-Spain game was a real humdinger! Due to the late hour of the telecast, was unable to watch it & hope to catch the highlights today. Cristiano Ronaldo booted a hat-trick, thus helping his team to draw against Spain. At age 33, he became the oldest to score a hat-trick in the World Cup tournament. Commendable, indeed! It shows that as long as one maintains fitness levels, a maximum age limit need not be a career-ending factor for any sportsperson.
    When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Iran won over Morocco due to an own goal. I was wondering whether own goals should be considered as goals?! After all, the player is trying his best to prevent an opponent from scoring and instead, puts the football into his own team's net. It is like some freak happening and seems a little unfair to award the goal to the opposing team.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

I also don't consider the own goals as an achievement. It is by chance happened thst ball to go into the net. Actually speaking this is not a goal and can't be considered. But the rulebook says it is considered as a goal and that has made the difference in the game.
    drrao
    always confident

The game between Portugal and Spain was sure a Ronaldo Show. Spain being the team with best expectation in the group considered Portugal without necessary importance, I think. However the game was exciting, from both the teams. Two equalisers from Spain and an unbelievable comeback of Portugal. Well, the game made many records. Ronaldo is now the oldest player to score a WC hatrick, fastest goal against Spain in WC, first player to score a hatrick against Spain. Portugal managed to get a point against the biggest opponent. And rest we have to see...

Unbelievable... That's how the game between Argentina and Iceland can be explained. No one expected such a result. Iceland did what they have to do, blocked Messi. Eventhough he managed to strike in between, nothing came into effect. And infact the day was if bad day to him. Or it was a great pluck for Iceland, Messi missed the penalty. Well, good work Iceland, great game.

Unbelievable has happened yesterday night. Champion Germany has lost to Mexico! Mexico has stunned not only Germany, but the entire world by their show. But I think Germans would start playing dangerously from now on. Afterall they are known for their 'do-or-die' attitude.

I am supporting English team in this tournament. England is one of the probables of Cup winners, very young team compared with others.

This can't be the official dress code but the ethical attire for them. This shows your mind set & discipline while your team being offering of their best.

Hope the same can't be applicable in India as there is hot & humid atmosphere which could anyone make of uncomfortable.

Germans are not able to beat the defence line up of Mexico. The entire match has seen only one goal by the team Mexico. German started the tournaments as the favourites of the cup and started very badly. We have to wait and see whether they will spring back,
    drrao
    always confident

Yet another own goal by Columbia cost them the match against Japan, that too because it was a freak occurrence due to the ball bouncing off the Columbia player's leg. Let's see if Japan is able to progress to the next stage of Group 16 with a win over Senegal. They are likely going to be a tough opponent to beat, with Senegal showing with their win over Poland that they are gutsy enough to beat the best of the best.

It would be wonderful to have an Asian country going right ahead to the semi-finals!

Today is second round matches for Group C and D teams. Denmark contesting Soccerrors (Australia) and France will look to freeze their place in top 2 teams in the group C against Peru. In one of the second match of Group D match is going to be interesting, where everyone is eying on Lionnel Messis' Argentina team, who look for their first win against Croatia.
    It will be thundering Thursday at FIFA World Cup 2018.

Brazil's second group game in the World Cup 2018 looked headed for a goalless draw as a stubborn Costa Rica defence and some wayward finishing left the Brazilian supporters very frustrated. However, late goals from Philippe Coutinho and Neymar saw them register a 2-0 win. Brazil had earlier drawn the first match against Switzerland.

Except Neymer, other Brazilian players have failed to impress so far.

You just can't write off the Germans so easily. They scored during the fag end of the natch. Sweden's defence surrendered at the last moment.

Uruguay has attained the top slot in the group and pushed Russia two second place. Russia is in full flow and won the first two matches and I thought they will win over this country also. But this nation has other thoughts. They stopped Russia bravely and emerged as winners. Now Uruguay is in the first slot and Russia is in the second slot
    drrao
    always confident

Dr. Rao, what is "Varugave"?! I think you mean Uruguay. Please check the text after you submit. Many of your responses in the forum are having typo errors. I have seen = symbol also in some responses! Remember this suggestion?

Coming back to the topic of this thread -

With Japan topping their group as of now, I am hoping they do go ahead. As I had thought, it was a very exciting game against Senegal. They could have won outright, though, if they had not missed a couple of shots at the goal.

In yesterday's game against Iran, Portugal managed a draw. The coach of the Iran team was reported to be furious that the star Ronaldo was not booked a red card, that leniency was shown to him. Was it really a foul which warranted a send-off?

I am glad that now there are games at 7.30p.m. IST so I am able to watch them. Of course, I need to switch channels to watch two games simultaneously. This World Cup is really good fun to watch, not to mention a great way to relax! Even before the World Cup began, my sister stated that Belgium will win on the reasoning that some totally unexpected team will lift the Cup, not that she or I even know the names of the players!!

@ME: Thank you for your advice. I will try to follow your advice. I regret the inconvenience caused.
    drrao
    always confident

Sad to see Germany out of the world cup. Apparently it's their first exit at this stage in 80 years!

From the beginning itself there was predictions that Germany will not get qualified into the "Round of 16". The fact (well to an extent a superstition) prolonged in this season also. For the last three seasons the defending champions were not able to make it from the group stages. And this time also it happened, Germany is now out.

Argentina finally made it to the Round of 16. Well, there was a lot of things that favoured them. They were facing the accusation of "not playing good enough" in their first two matches. And it was true as the results indicated. However the third game was something different. The team needed to win and they played well and we saw Messi raising up back against the trolls. Must admit that the goal Messi scored was great. But all the good effort from Argentina would have been gone waste if Croatia did not beat Iceland. And as Luka Modric said he defeated Iceland and Messi was able to make it to next stage. Or else Argentina need a win with more than one goal scored by Iceland.
    And thus Argentina is now in, looking forward to Brazil.

It is a matter of great regret that the defending champion Germany has lost in the first round. It is also regrettable that Argentina qualified for the second round. Argentina is not at all a good team except Messi. How long can a single player win the team game? I see no future for Argentina in this tournament.

Almost all the major teams excluding Germany have qualified into the Round of 16. And the matches of the PreQuater will start from 30th. Portugal will play against Uruguay and Argentina against France on the date. Each of the four teams will have to do their best to advance to the next round.
    Anyhow, if Portugal and Argentina can make it over their opponents, the next match will be more interesting. The greatest football legends of the period will play against each other for their nations. Most of the football fans are waiting for this particular match to happen so that they can see probably the biggest match of the current football scenario.

Poland and Colombia wins over Japan and Senegal respectively. Each game showed a scorecard of 1-0. However the final table of the group says that Colombia and Japan qualifies into the next round - Round of 16. Later tonight the matches of Group G will determine the final teams entering the Round of 16, which will commence on 30th.

Eagerly waiting for today's match between Argentina and France. Both teams are my favorites even this time I wish Argentina to come up. Messi the world class player deserves that. As a team Argentina is not that much strong this time. Messi alone cannot create wonders, he should get support from team members. Coordination among the team is the most important factor in football. Let's hope for the best.
    Best regards,

Anoop Poduval
    Life is too short..keep smiling always...!!!

An exciting game is going on between France & Argentina! However, France seems to have the upper hand, ahead by two goals. Looks like they are getting through to the next round and Messi & team will have to rue their lost chances. It is a pity the other game tonight is at such a late hour. I will have to catch the repeat telecast tomorrow.

Argentina lost for 4-3. Was a tight match. All the best France.
    Best regards,

Anoop Poduval
    Life is too short..keep smiling always...!!!

I expected this result. Argentina has no other player except Messi. How long can he protect the weakness of the entire team? Russia bids goodbye to Messi.

On the other hand, Englan-Belgium match was boring. Both the teams had already qualified. So, they didn't give their 100% in this match. Ultimately Belgium won 1-0. The goal was scored by Adnan Januzaj.

The night was some sort of dark day for true football lovers. Just in one day, both the legends were out of the World Cup. Messi and Ronaldo, irrespective of the fan fight, are both true iconic players of the time. And both could not make it to the Cup, sadly. We all know, both tried their best to bring up their teams, but after all a winner also needs some luck element.
    And there goes the legends, still dreaming of a WC victory for their team at their time. Hey Champs, don't be sad, we know your worth.

The Pre Quarter match between Spain and Russia was of course a great game of the WC. The Spanish Army was supposed to get an easy win over the Russian Force. But just like the other matches of this WC, where the smaller teams of the match came up with twisting results, here Russia did a magic.
    The entire game was dominated by Spain. Even though, Russia managed to keep the score board tally. And the Penalty Shootout was sort of relief for the Spain, as they hoped to win but fate made it the other way

Oh, dear! Japan lost to Belgium. I was so hoping they would reach the last 8. Belguim really pulled off a stunning win after being two goals down. Now they will meet Brazil. That should be an exciting game.

The Croatia-Denmark game, like the Spain-Russia one, ended up in a penalty shootout, with Croatia's goalkeeper doing the needful to ensure they got through. Today Sweden plays Switzerland and England play Columbia.

Keeping away the haters and trollers Brazil made it to the Quarter Finals. The game between Brazil and Mexico was certainly a Brazilian show. The team performed well and won the game. The center of attraction Neymar found a goal and assisted another. Eventhough, Brazil is now in a position to play even without him, all the players had risen up to the level.
    And eventhough at the losing side, the Mexican Goal Keeper Ochao had made brilliant effort in keeping the goal post secure. He had done many great saves, otherwise the score board will have shown bigger margin.

Another great team exits the World Cup. Brazil lost to Belgium 1-2. Which teams will move to semi-final stage? Almost all top teams have exited.

Well, all the WC has shrink into just four teams. One will be the champion, and even the rest three will go uncared by the world. Only the champions will stay.
    Here is a schedule of the coming games.

Semi Finals
    France vs Belgium on Tuesday 10/07 11:30pm
    Croatia vs England on Wednesday 11/07 11:30pm

Third Place Play-Off
    on Saturday 14/07 07:30pm

Final
    on Sunday 15/07 08:30pm

*All Times in IST

We received a pleasant surprise yesterday night! Croatia entered the final for the first time. It defeated England 2-1 in the extra-time, although England took the lead in the very beginning of the match. Now France-Croatia final!

Now the playoff for third place and final are only left out. France and Croatia in finals.England and Belgium for 3rd position. Very Eagerly waiting for the finals on Sunday,
    drrao
    always confident

Croatia coming to the semi finals was the biggest surprise in this world cup and it seems the team rated as underdog may further spring surprise as we are going to have best football.
    K Mohan

The FIFA WC 2018 was all about surprises. Major teams getting knocked out early and lately on one side. On the other side teams with lesser expectations (or the underdogs, as they were believed) getting up in the ladder.
    The teams that made it to the finals include both the big team and small teams, as they seemed in the beginning. France, even though had lesser attraction as other major teams, everyone is quite okay in making it to the finals. While Croatia's final entry was a big surprise. They managed to tackle down the English challenge and get into the final that too for the first time in their history.
    One more day, and the Champion will arise. All the best teams.

The journey of England to the Cup has come to and end. They are now in their chance to win the third position in the championship. However their journey was quite great. For the past few WC, England was not up to the mark. They seemed to wither away easily from the tournament. And may be because of this, everyone had a lesser expectations from them. But they astonished everyone, even their supporters. They had come a long way to the Cup and had made many fans dream that the good old time of England has returned.
    The England team, this time was full of youngsters. Well, actually they all were new to the WC, but at the same time had great experience at club levels. So, they managed to perform their best, but may be the lack of experience in WC had resulted in their dream being over. But the team will be great for the next time, as they all will have everything needed the next WC.

Today Belgium will play against England for the third place. Many experts are saying that the two best teams of this World Cup will play the best match today. Let us enjoy this match from 19:30 IST.

Immensely enjoyed today's match for third place. Belgium ended their campaign with a winning note. The team deservedly defeated England 2-0. Good game, Belgium!

France has won it. Congratulations to the World Champions.
    "A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Immensely enjoyed the final. Croatia fought brilliantly till 15 minutes of the second half. The ball possession rate was much better for Croatia. Their attacks had more teeth. But ultimately experience won.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.