You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread is being pinned. Please post all you want to about the World Cup as a response to this thread only.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

FIFA-2018! Football World Cup tournament from today

The 21st world cup football tournament is starting from today. The first game is between Russia and Saudi Arabia. 32 countries are participating and total 64 games will be played. The whole world is waiting eagerly to see the inauguration of this tournament. The tournament will run for 32 days. Today the first match can be seen live on Sony TV. The winning team will get Rs.258/- crores as prize money. I hope we all will enjoy these matches for a month and the best team will come out as the winner.

All the best to all the participating countries.
    Duplicate.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

I am eagerly waiting for the matches to be played by Germany and Brazil. What i the time difference between Russia and India?

Yes the worlds biggest football feast is going to treat us and that is the reason being so even Russian President Putin has advised the teams for a joyful event coupled with some nice moments.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

All the best to all the participating teams!
    'Don't miss the Donut by looking through the hole'- Anonymous.

Members are requested to post all they want to about the World Cup in this thread only instead of raising different threads on the event. Hope you will all co-operate. Let us have a fair play!
    'Don't miss the Donut by looking through the hole'- Anonymous.

Russia made its start with a victory. Initially before the start of the game there was a doubt about the chances of Russia winning the game. But Russia proved them wrong and they are successful. Hope the coming matches will be more exiting.
    drrao
    always confident

As expected the first match was strong and challenging and the Russia won it with grace. The charging atmosphere for the every goal made makes this game more interesting.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Let's have some interesting discussions on the 2018 FIFA World Cup and not just mere reporting of the games.

I have a query: Why are the team coaches who stand on the sidelines always in full suit? They will be immaculately dressed in formal clothes, complete with tie and good footwear as well. Is this some kind of official rule?

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

#639325: I simply don't know. In my earlier days when I regularly used to go to the football ground, the coaches used to wear informal dresss. Many of them used to wear shorts. Most probably this is a new FIFA rule.

As far as my knowledge goes this is as per the norms of the tournament. This is prescribed dress code for the coaches.
    drrao
    always confident

In the opening match, host Russia beat Saudi Arabia 5-0. Russia displayed all-round superiority throughout the match. In the first half, the hosts led 2-0. After half-time, Russia scored three more goals.

It was a great beginning for the hosts.

It seems the Portugal-Spain game was a real humdinger! Due to the late hour of the telecast, was unable to watch it & hope to catch the highlights today. Cristiano Ronaldo booted a hat-trick, thus helping his team to draw against Spain. At age 33, he became the oldest to score a hat-trick in the World Cup tournament. Commendable, indeed! It shows that as long as one maintains fitness levels, a maximum age limit need not be a career-ending factor for any sportsperson.
    When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Iran won over Morocco due to an own goal. I was wondering whether own goals should be considered as goals?! After all, the player is trying his best to prevent an opponent from scoring and instead, puts the football into his own team's net. It is like some freak happening and seems a little unfair to award the goal to the opposing team.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

I also don't consider the own goals as an achievement. It is by chance happened thst ball to go into the net. Actually speaking this is not a goal and can't be considered. But the rulebook says it is considered as a goal and that has made the difference in the game.
    drrao
    always confident

The game between Portugal and Spain was sure a Ronaldo Show. Spain being the team with best expectation in the group considered Portugal without necessary importance, I think. However the game was exciting, from both the teams. Two equalisers from Spain and an unbelievable comeback of Portugal. Well, the game made many records. Ronaldo is now the oldest player to score a WC hatrick, fastest goal against Spain in WC, first player to score a hatrick against Spain. Portugal managed to get a point against the biggest opponent. And rest we have to see...

Unbelievable... That's how the game between Argentina and Iceland can be explained. No one expected such a result. Iceland did what they have to do, blocked Messi. Eventhough he managed to strike in between, nothing came into effect. And infact the day was if bad day to him. Or it was a great pluck for Iceland, Messi missed the penalty. Well, good work Iceland, great game.

Unbelievable has happened yesterday night. Champion Germany has lost to Mexico! Mexico has stunned not only Germany, but the entire world by their show. But I think Germans would start playing dangerously from now on. Afterall they are known for their 'do-or-die' attitude.

I am supporting English team in this tournament. England is one of the probables of Cup winners, very young team compared with others.
    Will Russia play England? If so, that will be the deadly match to watch!!
    Russia – England match will become very interesting. Because both the countries are having tensed diplomatic relations now after the Skripal incident.
    British PM Teresa May is categorically saying that Vladimir Putin has committed an act of aggression by poisoning the double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia Skripal with military grade nerve gas at their London residence. Russia denied the allegation and warned Briton for serious consequences. They were about to withdraw from this world cup.
    In this World cup neither members of the British Royal family nor official delegation represented the British side.
    In this dangerously strained relation between these two countries a football match between them will be highly interesting to watch.
    I hope, Vladimir Putin, the most powerful man on Earth, will show his full 'anger and fury' in that match, like how he showed his fury in pulverizing Syrian rebels by deadly missile attack ignoring international objection!!

This can't be the official dress code but the ethical attire for them. This shows your mind set & discipline while your team being offering of their best.

Hope the same can't be applicable in India as there is hot & humid atmosphere which could anyone make of uncomfortable.

Germans are not able to beat the defence line up of Mexico. The entire match has seen only one goal by the team Mexico. German started the tournaments as the favourites of the cup and started very badly. We have to wait and see whether they will spring back,
    drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments