You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

If you go to Pondicherry, don't miss this!!

Is it worth travelling some twenty five kilometers, by bus that takes around seventy minutes to reach a particular destination, to just eat something?

Yes, but that something, is so special!! And so the evening is well spent.

Here are the details.

It is a special item called the "thavala vada". This is prepared from a judicious mix of at least four dalls and the preparation is quite tough. Yet, it gets sold at Cuddalore Port station, every day. Particularly in the evenings. Most of you would be visiting Pondicherry. Just hop into a bus going to Cuddalore, which is there every two minutes. Alight at the last stop and get into any town bus going towards Cuddalore Old Town. Go over to the Railway Station to enjoy this snack. It is very tasty but every single person should have not more than three at the maximum.

There were some places in Pondicherry where it was sold. Now, that is history, for strange reasons. But the Cuddalore Station is still very famous.

Try it!!
    My relative stays in Trivehedripuram which is hardly 8 kms from the Cuddalore main bus stand but I never heard about Tavala vadai so far. Is it veg or non veg item ? Please clarify and what is the cost.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I was in Cuddalore for about 4 days long back. I was there in connection with a factory visit there. Later again I was there for 2 years back to give a lecture at Anna University, Chemistry Department. But I never ate this item. I travelled by Air from Hyderabad to Chennai. From there I hired a vehicle to reach there. I may be visiting again this place. Now I will make it a point to taste this item.
    drrao
    always confident

This is a one hundred percent vegetarian item. It is just a vada. I think I paid only rupees ten for a single vada, when I purchased it last time. Even after accounting for inflation, you can get it for just Rs.15 even today. But the story is that it is sold only at the Cuddalore OT station. As far as I know, it does not get sold anywhere in Cuddalore.

I was told that it is in fact thavala adai and not vadai. Any way you made an interesting revelation and next time I shall visit Cuddalore OT station and have the taste of it.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

No Sir. It is called thavala vadai only. In fact, it is made as a snack item in homes in Tanjore district. Please go to youtube. I even saw the recipe given. Ofcourse, you can jolly well have it at the Cuddalore Railway OT station.

• Sign In to post your comments