You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why this hesitation in sharing the knowledge?

It is said that knowledge is such a thing which does not get reduced by sharing like money. In fact, it rather increases. Then why is it that some people hesitate to share their knowledge with their counterparts? Whether it is students studying in schools or colleges, professionals working in an office or in general day to day life, there are instances where people do not want to share their knowledge and help others.

The main reason behind this is unhealthy competition and feeling of insecurity. Sometimes it is seen students securing higher ranks in the class are reluctant to help each other in studies. This is because they feel that if they help he or she may start getting better marks than them. Similarly in offices at times one employee hesitates to mentor and help another employee thinking that after learning from him he may get better of him and steal the show. This I feel is a very wrong attitude in some people. No one can just simply learn from others and progress in life. It all depends on person's caliber, grasping, and attitude which makes them successful.

Hence knowledge should be shared without any hesitation and insecurity. Nobody can steal your knowledge. On the contrary, sharing can enhance your knowledge as well.
    Nice thoughts emanated from the author's mind. Yes it is true that if one has the knowledge and idea of something new and that is useful to others, that must be shared immediately and there is no question of stealing or stopping from others. It is often said that dissemination of information is important so that it must transfer to the sources which can facilitate to reach the contents fast and wide. Many people have good talent and knowledge and what is the use when they wont even talk with others and say something about the knowledge acquired. So unless and until knowledge is shared, we are deprived of many new information,
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

A very interesting and nice thread from the author.

It is true that many people are reluctant to share their knowledge with others. As already stated, insecurity is one reason. Other thing is that when a person has learned a thing hard way he does not like that other person should just swallow it from the platter. It is human psychology.

Even a teacher will not like that his student take the things easily and granted without understanding them.

When I was in my high school, I was not able to grasp the concept of Vernier Calipers though the teacher in the classroom explained it and it was also explained in the text book. My father sent me to one of his friend who was teaching science in another school. The teacher asked me many things related to measurement before coming to this particular measurement device and after a participative struggle of 15-20 minutes I got the concept very clearly and thanked him for it.

I think I did not visualise it that time but yes, today when I recollect, I feel that I had learned it the hard way.

Knowledge is power.

There is another facet that cannot be ignored. Often people fail to ask for help and guidance as this could make them appear less knowledgeable and incompetent and unfit. Students hesitate to stand up in class and ask their doubts, for the fear that they will be ridiculed by their peers and sometimes even by the teacher, for not understanding simple subjects.

At the workplace, people are fearful of asking for help and guidance because they are afraid it would show them as not having enough knowledge.

People willing to share knowledge can sometimes be seen as showing off. It is a tricky situation. We must ask for help when we need it. and ask to be mentored., rather than expect others to understand our needs and offer help. We should not look at them as being self-centered, they are leading their lives their way. We need to change ourselves and make that effort to learn things and not wait for them to be gifted to us on a platter.

I feel that it is for us to take initiative and learn things we do not know. We do not need to bank on others to share their knowledge and expertise with us when it is possible to improve our skills, by just observing them or by asking pertinent questions - How? Why? When? What? Which?

Also, once we have the right questions finding answers to them shouldn't be difficult. We should be capable of doing so through our own research, without the need to be spoonfed.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Knowledge sharing is very important for the growth of the country. The knowledge we acquired during our life should not come to an end with us. It should be passed on to another person so that there will be a continuity. One of my distant relatives is a great Vedic Scholar. He taught the same to almost about 76 students. There 76 students are having at least 8 to 9 students with them. That is how the knowledge will be getting multiplied by sharing. Unlike money, the deposits of knowledge will increase as you spend it.
    But these days the knowledge sharing is not taking place to the required level due to the selfishness of the people and the ignorance of the people. The person who knows the process may not reveal in full to anybody as he will become a competitor to him. The person who wanted to learn will not go and ask as he thinks asking the other person may make him small before the other person. Once the people comes out of these inhibitions we will witness the process of knowledge sharing at its peak.

drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments