You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Summer Solstice: tomorrow is the longest day of the year & International Yoga Day

June 21st and December 21st are the two longest days of a year. It is generally referred to as Solstice, meaning an event occurring when the Sun appears to reach its most Northerly or Southerly excursion relative to the celestial equator on the celestial sphere. June solstice is referred to as the Summer Solstice in the Northern hemisphere and winter solstice in the Southern hemisphere.

The longest day of the year technically means that the Sun reaches in the highest point in its path, as seen from the Earth, and the tilt of the Earth's axis is most inclined towards the Sun.

An Indian led resolution passed by United Nations' General Assembly has declared June 21st as 'International Yoga Day'.
    Yes, I forgot that tomorrow is summer solstice. Thanks for reminding.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Yes today is very auspicious to every one as the sun goes to the extreme north and today is also observed as the International Yoga day. Lets explore the yogic strength in every one of us.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Yes I know this. And it also happens to be the day my grandma died so I don't really like this day. How am I going to deal with this extra large day?
    Today is international yoga day too? That one I didn't know. Let us all try to be healthy.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

It is the longest day and summer solstice. Today from morning the Sun is very severe. It is very hot and irritating in our area. I don't know how it changes over the day. Today the Sun raises very early and sets late. He will be very active. We all should pray him to be not very severe on all of us.
    drrao
    always confident

Here in Kochi the Sun could not appear till this time, since it is cloudy and raining almost continuously. The atmosphere is cold also. Roads are water logged and traffic block in almost all junctions.
    T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

My best wishes to all the stakeholders of India Study Channel on the occasion of International Yoga Day. "Yoga for Peace" is decided as the theme of this year yoga day. Around 5000 programmes are expected to be conducted on this day in our country. Almost in more than 150 countries, this day is going to be celebrated. The Prime Minister Mr Modi will be participating in these activities at Dehradun. The president of India who is on a foreign trip will be participating in yoga day celebrations along with the president of Surinam in their country. The Vice President will be participating in these activities at Mumbai. I hope all the Members of ISC also will have some Yoga activity today on this occasion. This year is the 4th year of performing this 21 June as International Yoga Day.
    drrao
    always confident

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.