You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Should children discuss their answers after exams?

Every student wants to do well in school or college exams and get good marks. Exams are the anxious times for both parents and children and they want to know the result as soon as possible. Sometimes we see that just after giving the exams students discuss and compare their answers with their friends, especially for science and maths subjects to get an idea of how they have done. Sometimes parents also discuss the question papers with their children and ask them the answers they have written.

While this practice may be helpful in judging one's performance in the exams and expected marks but it proves to be harmful especially if a student finds that many of his or her answers are wrong. They may get upset and their preparations for next exam gets impacted due to this. So I feel it is better for students not to discuss and compare their answers after exams and concentrate on preparations for their next exams. Parents should also make sure that they do not discuss question papers with their child when exams are in progress. They should leave it to the time when results are declared and then discuss what went wrong.

But on the other side, I feel this may be a very protective approach. Somewhere we also need to make the children brave and let them discuss the answers and know the truth. They should also be trained that if their answers go wrong they should not regret and get demoralized but focus on their next exams. This way I think they will become stronger.
    I strongly recommend that the children should come back to their schools and contact the respective subject teaches to discuss about what they have written for what question. This kind of probing would ensure that the answers were written right and the exact marks expected. I would also request the students to contact the teacher before writing a particular exam so that teacher can pass on some tips as to which question is important and how to answer short questions and what are the important questions likely to come. Such interactions will pave way for scoring good marks.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is a very general practice that many children discuss the answers what they have written and whether they are correct or not.
    My Sister's son wrote tenth class examinations. We discussed with him and we thought he will get more than 90% in all group subjects and minimum 80% in all languages. When the results announced he failed in the examination. Those days the internet was not there. We have waited till the mark list came. He got marks as expected in all subjects except in Hindi. He got only 8% on that exam. We all know his knowledge. So we went to the board and applied for recounting. It is surprising that the total marks he got in Hindi were 80 out of 100. But after totalling on the top of the paper it is marked as 08 by mistake instead of 80. As we have discussed with him after the examination we are able to assess and applied for recounting. Otherwise, he might have lost one year. So to avoid such things discussing with them is always helpful.

drrao
    always confident

Yes, true many students discuss answers after the exams and many of them don't like doing it. However, it is just a way for students to judge how they would have performed, discussing it with their peers who would either be topping the class or would be better in performance from them. But for many of the students, it would be a demotivating factor, because they believe in the thought process, that whatever has happened is already done and cannot be corrected. Let us move on and work better for the next examination. Because if they will know that exam was not good or up to the mark, this would dishearten them. So, parents of such children should stay calm and help the child to improve for future performances rather than digging out the old stuff.
    Different students have a different way of learning and a different way of accepting the consequences of their examinations. So, it does matter how the parents are dealing with them.

Do what inspires you !!

Though many students do resort to this practice, my personal opinion is that it should not be done; the reason being that it does not serve any purpose. Discussing answers after exams is not going to change what they have written. Once you have finished an exam, I suggest that the subject should be kept aside for the time being.

It may have its positive side but as a student one should give more importance to the negative side. As the author has pointed out, what if a student realizes that he has got more answers wrong and he may not get the marks he was expecting? It will surely affect his moral and that will, in turn, affect his preparation for the next exam.

We must also understand that each subject is a different field and also that the caliber and interest of each student is different from the other. So, if you are an average student and is discussing with a topper of your class, you might not, in all probability, feel satisfied with how you have performed. But the result of the discussion may be different if you are the topper or has done better in an examination and is discussing the answers with an average student or with someone who has not done as good as you. So, it depends and cannot be relied upon. Thus the better conclusion would be to avoid such discussions.

I can't agree with the point of merit given by Dr. Rao. Will not a student have an idea as to how he has written an exam? So, when you receive the mark sheet, the student will be able to make out whether there is any mistake and the further process can always be undertaken. Why should there be a discussion? It is the student who wrote the exams who should be knowing better.

'Our knowledge is a receding mirage in an expanding desert of ignorance'- Will Durant.

• Sign In to post your comments