You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Sanskrit is in good demand in Germany.

The language Sanskrit is the language of our ancient literature and we are supposed to be the masters of that language. Unfortunately, we left that path and running after the foreign language and forgetting the native language. But the other countries understood the importance of that language and Germans are after this language. Around 14 universities in Germany are teaching this language. Now to meet the demand some universities in Italy and Switzerland are planning to start the Sanskrit language. To meet the demand South Asia Institute, University of Helderberg is starting a summer school in Italy, Switzerland and even in India also.
    It appears finally the Germans will be the eventual custodians of Sanskrit language and its rich culture.
    I am afraid after some time we may have to pay patent royalty charges to learn Sanskrit. It has happened in many cases. Those which were of our nation's had gone or taken out as we forgot them, then they go re-imported at a high cost as a new brand with smart marketing.

Hmm. I am a bit concerned here. Germans came in contact with Indian culture in late 1800s when British started translating our epics and scripts. Bhagavadgita for some reason became an inspiration to Hitler. He called himself a true "Aryan". He was highly attached to the swastika symbol too. Nazis infact love the Indian culture.
    So....maybe Germany still can't recover from its obsession with India. Hitler himself tried to read Sanskrit multiple times. There are repirys that his sergeants collected scrolls in Sanskrit. So a part of me unironically or sometimes comically worries.
    But I know how the modern Germans are. They are very productive and supporting. They offer scholarship to students. Germans sure love Indian culture. Sanskrit is a beautiful language and learning it would let us witness the ancient mysteries first-hand.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

It is no wonder. German scholar Max Mueller took Sanskrit to Europe. Sanskrit was first taught in German Universities (in Europe). So, Germans are always interested in learning and doing research on Sanskrit.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

On the one hand I feel happy that our ancient and wonderful language, Sanskrit has the place to be learned and followed in many countries and most vigorously by Germany and on the other hand having apprehension about decoding our great language by that country and may go for the monopoly use of the language relegating our country to backward as our students are reluctant to learn this language even for just two years course in Intermediate. It is the high time our Education Ministry wakes up and tighten the socks regarding compulsory learning of Sanskrit for all from the primary level itself. And effort must be made to have a news paper and news channel on the lines of Doordarshan so that we can also learn how to understand and talk the beautiful language with a flow, then only Sanskrit can be guarded against the external possibility of hijacking for their ulterior motives.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The importance of the language Sanskrit has been recognised by the advanced countries when they started using computers. Experts in computer languages and Sanskrit have noticed that among all languages Sanskrit is more suited for computer applications. It can suit for the transmission of many ideas that artificial languages can render with great precision and mathematical rigour.
    T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

• Sign In to post your comments