You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Requests

Request for clarification: What happens to the responses in a deleted Forum post?

I was thinking about this issue while I was trying to reconcile the difference of points mentioned in this post. In Forum section, the rejection rate is fairly high because some Members (like me) like to discuss controversial topics in Forum, which some of the Editors don't like. As I have a natural penchant towards controversial topics, I respond to controversial threads posted by others, which get deleted after some time.

Now my question is related to these responses. I know that when my own Forum post gets deleted, I lose the points (usually 5 points) which I got after uploading the post. But what about my responses to the Forum threads deleted subsequently? Do I lose points (which I got from the responses) in those cases also?

Senior Members (including the Editors) may kindly clarify.
    If a forum post deleted citing the posting guidelines , it may be deleted or points reduced but the responses already appended to those threads would be honored and the points remain.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

If you have responded before a particular thread is deleted, there will not be any problem for points you obtained for your response unless otherwise the deleting Editior thinks the points are to be reduced. But generally there will not be an6 loss of points for the responses to the deleted threads.
    drrao
    always confident

The above responses appear to be incorrect.

Here is what I think -

When a thread gets deleted, all responses posted in that thread also get deleted. When the post itself is deleted how can the points gained through the responses remain? The responses get deleted with the post and so do the points and cash credits if any.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Now I am really confused! But considering my accumulated points, I feel that what Ms. Juana has stated is correct.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

I concur Juana's response. When the head is chopped off, what remains in the body? If the post itself deleted, what is the use of responses? The allotted points to the post and responses also get deleted. There is no question of CC to a deleted thread (Juana said it wrongly - "The responses get deleted with the post and so do the points and cash credits if any.") Will a thread which has a response that earned CC get deleted? If CC was awarded, the thread should be an important one. It might get locked, if the thread faced a problem, but never gets deleted.
    No life without Sun

Be it a thread or a responses, ISC mentors has the right to delete threads and comments that are against the guidelines.

If a responses or threads get deleted, then the Cash Credits along with points are deducted from user accounts. If responses along with points has to be deleted then it will certainly effect the cash credits earned in that thread.

Hackers never learns but always wins!

Mr. Sang,
    Deletion of a thread and locking of a thread are two different things. A thread or the responses to that thread awarded with CC(cash credit) will never be deleted, as they contain valuable point and points for discussion. It could be locked, not deleted.

No life without Sun

K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

But my experience says the points for responses of a deleted thread will not become null and void. It may be again at the discretion of the Editor. So unless otherwise an Editor replies we may not be able to come to a correct understanding. Let us wait for the statement from an Editor who knows about the procedure well regarding such issues.
    drrao
    always confident

Yesterday a Member raised a thread. I responded to the thread. Later the thread was deleted,. My response also couldn't be seen. But the points were added to my yesterday's score. But I feel that later the points would also be deleted, but I won't be able to know it.

So, I have raised this thread for getting clarification.

No life without Sun

As far as I am aware, what Juana says is correct. When a thread gets deleted, so do the responses. Just as the points of the thread get misused once deleted, so also with the responses, with the points & cc also going.

Partha - you could use the recalculate feature today and check the points again of the points of your response in the deleted thread are there or not. If yes, let us know & I will bring it to the attention of the Webmasters to clarify.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Such points get deleted when the system cleaning script is run. I do not think the CCs are deducted even then. CCs are deducted only in case where the member committed some fraud.
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

Refer What happened during my absence?
    When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

A few years back a major cleaning was carried out in the Resource section. Cash Credits and points came down when articles were deleted.

There is a loss of points and CC when articles are republished and go into New Submission - they get restored when the article is approved.

Posts within a thread are not in isolation, they are part of the URL of the main post. When the post is deleted, everything in it must also get deleted.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

So, the points earned by the responses to the deleted threads get deleted after the deletion of the main thread. This should reflect in the profile score-board of a Member.

Now, I understand the discrepancy in my score- board.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.