You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How to create unforgettable passwords?

Members,
    Passwords plays an important role in our day to day communication. Every site wants the customer to have a pass word. Recently, I went into many sites for online purchases. Each site asked me to register my name with my e-mail ID with a password. I need to maintain a record of these pass words. How to avoid it? I thought of creating unforgettable passwords which is not a security risk or foul play. How? Simply reverse the name of the firm or the dealer or the unit or the organisation asking for the password.

My password with Amazon - nozama
    My password with snapdeal - leadpans
    My password with naaptol - lotpaan

Members, The above passwords will never be forgotten. Please do not use such passwords where finance or security is involved.

What is your comment please?
    I think more than unforgettable password a strong password is very important to keep the accounts secure. The password mentioned above ( reversing the name of the company ) is quite simple and sometimes widely used in the same way by many. Moreover, this kind of password is not possible on all websites as they impose restrictions on the minimum number of characters and the usage of lowercase, uppercase letters, numbers and special characters.

I have a suggestion to make it unforgettable as well as secure and complex one. Try to mix numbers and special characters in common words. For example, you can use a simple word like "smart boy" to a famous shopping website but how do you put the word as a password is a catch. We can use "smart boy" as "sm@r!_60y". I hope everyone can get how did I write this using numbers and special characters. There are multiple advantages of using a password like this. First of all you it is one of the strongest passwords. Secondly, it will meet the required number of characters for most of the websites. Next, it is easy to remember, you just have to remember which special you have inserted at which place. Like above, you can turn any simple word or even your name into a complex and unforgettable password.

Regards
    Rizwan

Yes remembering pass words or creating passwords is something a prerogative for the respective persons and it cannot be created on others tips or advice. One of my friend has the habit of creating password of the same site written in back ward with the date of his opening that site. Another friend is following the idea of reversing his mobile number as the password. But we cannot remember so many passwords and has to maintain the same in a book or diary. What I feel that similar password with strong alphabet and numerical characters will be the ideal one for anyone.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

These days this is a problem for many of the people. From the beginning, I started using only one password to all accounts except bank accounts. That is why it is easy for me to remember the password. So no need arose so far for changing the same. I agree that the password should be as strong as possible and it should be difficult for others to identify the same. There are many ways to remember. But that purely depends on the individual.
    drrao
    always confident

For me I am using different formats for different sites & specially for banking or financial transactions of which the extra layer safety has been introduced by the banking institutions wherein one SMS would be sent to the registered mobile number with the bank & their validity remains very short, say for less then five minutes. Still I would suggest to have the antivirus updated with your system & any unexpected or uninformed movements must always be consulted with the bank on immediate basis.

Well, an interesting question indeed!

The best way to remember a password is to let the browser of your device remember it. Now, if your device is shared with other people, then it may create a problem if you want to keep certain things private in that account. To prevent other persons from accessing your account on a shared device, where the password is saved in the browser, one needs a bit of extra work - first allow the browser to save your password, then change your password. Change just the last character of your password saved in your browser. when you log in the next time, let the browser auto-fill the password, then delete the last character and type in the new character and log in. Here is an example - suppose my password for Snapdeal is 'Snapdeal@1', firstly I will allow my browser to save this password, then I will change the password to 'Snapdeal@2' (replacing the last digit -1 with 2. I will again try to login at Snapdeal. The browser will auto fill the old password (Snapdeal@1), I will delete the last character ('1' in this case) and type in '2'. Then I will hit the submit button. The browser will try to update my new password for Snapdeal, which I would not allow my browser to do.

One needs to understand that all the secured sites recommend a minimum eight character password, with at least one character as a capital letter, one digit and one special character. So, the most basic password can be a six -letter word (with the first letter of the word in caps) with a digit and a special character. Like in your case
    a) for amazon - Amazon@1
    b) for snapdeal - Snapdeal@1
    c) for naaptol - Naaptol@1

These passwords are easy to remember, but are easy to guess too. Now to make this a bit more difficult, one should not write the first letter of the word in caps. Instaed, one can select say the third or fourth letter as capital letter, replace the special character '@' with an uncommon character like carrot (^ uppercase of 6 on a keyboard), followed by a 3 or 4 digit number from our past (should not be related to our DOB, house number, present vehicle number, etc), say I select 1735. Now, your passwords would be something like this
    a) for amazon - amaZon^1735
    b) for snapdeal - snaPdeal^1735
    c) for naaptol - naaPtol^1735

Now if you regularly type these passwords on your mobile, it will throw them up whenever you try to log in. To avoid that you can again add an extra special character, like inverted commas - " - at the beggining of the password. So, now the passwords look like
    a) for amazon - "amaZon^1735
    b) for snapdeal - "snaPdeal^1735
    c) for naaptol - "naaPtol^1735

These are strong passwords. You can make them even stronger by repeating them but with different special characters or by reversing the position of special characters.

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

I don't want to complicate matter in this regard. I always try to create such a password which is related to me but not known to others. I don't use my name, my daughter's name, my date of birth, etc. in my password. I use a password with a short form of my name/surname and also use such a number which I scored in various examinations. The numbers scored by me have been remembered by me even after so many years and I can easily remember the entire password very easily.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Remembering umpteen passwords,each with its own unique requirements is not easy. But for that I do not make a common password nor I save the password in my browser also.Moreover some sites want to change the passwords frequently too.

So I have devised my own method of creating a password for any site but which I can remember relating to that particular site. I is mostly a mix of characters capital and small, numbers and special characters. While creating passwords, some sites show whether the password is strong or weak. Accordingly we can change the structure and make them strong.

The suggested passwords in the thread are more easy for intentional hackers to crack, as most people resort to such simple methods for creating passwords.

A method I may suggest is to remember some words in own language and then transliterate it to English. It will be good if characters from different rows of keyboards come in the password.(For example remember an animal name in own language and transliterate in English . Example:"2Yaanai @ebay" - here Yaanai is Tamil name for Elephant. So we have transliterated it in English and added a number and special character and related it to the site. We can try any such alternatives with a pattern to make us recall easily.

A strong password is one where you have atleast one digit and one character. There are so many ways to remember passwords.
    1. Make your password rhyme. This technique is called Mnemonics. You have to remember the rhythm and thats it
    Ex:123$paper.
    This is especially useful in voice passwords.
    2. association with something relevant. My amazon password could be, once again, 123$paper. I'm using this to pay/shop so dollar and paper is what I will remember correctly.
    Refrain from using years in passwords. That makes passwords too predictable.
    3. An intimate secret that only you and your closest associate only knows.
    Ex: ibrokethevase
    Now incidents like these register in long term memory and so will always be at your aid.
    4. Use random word generators if you want.
    Give the first word and set the generator. My ISC username is a result of random search generator. This can make your password extremely hard to crack because you have virtually no connection with your password. It's just a random word.
    5. Aditya is my name. I can change first 3 alphabets into numbers...149tya1997!
    Now that is a terrific password. Easy to remember and hard to track.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

In my opinion password should be a complex combination of letters and numbers and special characters as other members have also suggested. Now only problem is how to remember it. It is really a difficult proposition.

Many sites are asking to change it mandatory after a while and then even if you make a good password while changing, it loses its rhyme.

Many people use the name of their children or spouse or date of birth with addition of a special character here and there and adding a few number this side or that side but all these measures have no meaning when you have a large number of passwords with you to operate at different sites. Though it is better to keep a few of them but with time while changing them or registering in sites in hurry new passwords are added to the kitty we already have.

For me, I am at my wits end as how to remember them.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments