You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do we have any other eight lane project in the country?

In Tamil Nadu, the farmers are up in arms against the worst form of State oppression. The most precious farm lands, forest lands and what have you, are being sought to be taken over by the Central Government and the State Government, to get the Central Government project of the Salem to Chennai highway going. In fact, there is already a good highway. One wonders why this is not being converted into a six lane project.

It is ridiculous to destroy so much of nature for a project. Do we have a similar project elsewhere in the country? What is the reaction of those who are against the project?
    At the most there are six line highways across the states and as the national highway. What I feel that six lane highway is ideal as the fast vehicles go on the first track, medium speed vehicles on the second line and the slow moving vehicle on the third line. I cannot understand as to why the farmers in Tamil Nadu are seeking for eight lane highway which is not required at all. Instead the local road connecting the village or town with the highway if it is passing through bye pass can be connected and that would serve the twin purpose of National connectivity and also movement to various places.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan Sir. The farmers do not want the project at all. It is the Central Government that is forcing the people to give in and accept the project. This is the worst project as so much of nature will be destroyed. We need development but not so much by destroying nature. Already hundreds of fertile acres have been lost in Chennai since the city is now expanding upto one hundred kilometers on all the three sides.

Because of urbanisation, it is true that we are losing a lot of fertile lands. So farmers are losing the land as their land is being used for this urbanisation. The development is also required. The requirement of the road of eight-lane or six-lane may not make that much difference in terms of losing land. But what I feel is the farming methods should be modernised and more productivity from fewer fields are to be achieved. That will compensate for the loss of the land for roads. For this, the Agricultural research laboratories and Scientists are to work and achieve results so that the same can be implemented in the fields also.
    drrao
    always confident

If the fertile lands are sought for the so called eight line national highway, then I am also against the project as we do not want any such development disturbing the agriculture sector.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments