You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Suggestions

Isn't it a magical surprise from ISC?

During the last two months or so, my ISC rank was static at No. 12. It was neither improving nor was it going down. I almost lost hope of entering the list of first ten Members. I was mentally preparing myself to hold position No. 12 forever.

But a rude shock was waiting around the corner. Just now I logged in from my cousin's residence to get two unpleasant surprises. One of these two is my ranking. During the last two weeks, I was among the top five Members. But just now I find that my ranking has finally moved, but not in an upward direction. Despite remaining among the top five during last two weeks, I have now demoted to No. 13 position.

Isn't it a magic?
    The way of calculating the rank we should know. Then only we can say something about it. As far as I am concerned, I have no clue how this rank is decided. So I never think about that. Your rank depends on the performance of others also. If I a got 90 points last week and my rank is 5, The next week you might have scored 100 points but there is no rule that your rank should move upwards. It may go downwards also basing on the performance of others. This is what I am thinking about the rank in ISC.
    drrao
    always confident

The ranks are tabulated and calculated every Sunday evenings and those who are consistent and maintaining their flow of sharing as threads or responses when compared to others, your rank is going to be static or improving. And mind it if your nearest competitor performs well and there are every chance of he or she snatching your rank. The highlight of our ranking system is that one has to be consistent and with maintaining the total scoring daily. Therefore in order to attain higher rankings, one has to be consistent and also have the tow on your nearest competitor member.

K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Partha,

As a Diamond level member, I think you do know there is no supposed "magic" about the rankings and there was really no need to make a dramatic announcement about the change in your rank. The query about ranking has been asked many times & answered by members and the Webmasters as well. A simple search would have given you clarity about members' ranks.

You can refer to details provided by Tony Sir in this thread, this thread and this thread and this one in which changes were made (this last is how the system is working now). Please bookmark this page for future reference when the magic recurs.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

ISC Ranking system is not correct. I have earned 450 plus points in six days but after recalculating my points and earnings today didn't change or improve my rank. I am stuck at 103.

Can anyone clarify this.

Hackers never learns but always wins!

The detailed response of the ME does not solve the issue. Even after remaining among top five during last two weeks, my ranking has gone down. This is not mathematically explainable.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

Partha,

I have brought it to the attention of the Webmasters. If there is any further clarification, then I will let you know or the Webmasters may reply here.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Ranking is recalculated on Sunday evenings. Your relative ranking may go down if others perform better. Even if you are in the top 5, there are chances that your overall ranking may go down if others have performed better than you in the past days/weeks/months.
    regards,
    Tony John
    Webmaster - IndiaStudyChannel.com

"Even if you are in the top 5, there are chances that your overall ranking may go down if others have performed better than you in the past days/weeks/months."------Sorry, not at all understood. How can my rank go down when I am among the top five performers during last two weeks?

By the way, seeking attention of the editors as to why they forget to give cash credit to my response which actually tows the information appended by our webmaster. This is also a issue now.
    K Mohan

Mr. Mohan: Your previous response #641620 does not answer my question. You had said: "The highlight of our ranking system is that one has to be consistent and with maintaining the total scoring daily. Therefore in order to attain higher rankings, one has to be consistent and also have the tow on your nearest competitor member."

Who doesn't know it? But how is your response related to my thread? Have you read the thread properly?

Partha,

If you are top 5, then 4 people have scored higher than you and they have chances of improving their rank, which could mean you losing your rank.

regards,
    Tony John

Partha, my response " And mind it if your nearest competitor performs well and there are every chance of he or she snatching your rank" stands supported by the webmaster.
    K Mohan

#641660: "If you are top 5, then 4 people have scored higher than you and they have chances of improving their rank, which could mean you losing your rank."------------- Yes, it may be a probability, but in this particular case, those Members who have been holding the first four ranks during the last two weeks, are always above me in ranking.

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]
    "A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

[Response removed by Admin. Read forum policies.]

Partha, could you be straight in what you want to ask? I think that would be able to get you a better answer. With our Webmaster himself clarifying your query, it is not understood why you are still having the doubt. If so many responses could not answer you, I feel that there is something wrong with your question. Feel free and be direct.
    'Our knowledge is a receding mirage in an expanding desert of ignorance'- Will Durant.

Mr. Saji Ganesh: Please go through my main thread and my subsequent responses carefully. My simple contention is that considering my performance and also the relative performance of other Members during last two weeks, my position can't move downward.

Ridiculing the Member doesn't always solve the issue.

"Members who have been holding the first four ranks during the last two weeks, are always above me in ranking." - Yes, Partha, that is because, as Tony Sir clearly stated, if they have chances of improving their rank, they will continue to hold/improve the rank. What is implied is that members who consistently continue to get higher points throughout the week will continue to hold that rank or others improve their rank, as the case may be. This will, along with the ranks of other consistent performers, push your rank further down. Additionally, if your own posts' are either shifted to pending or deleted, you are not going to move up on the points' scale.

I suggest you do one thing (I do not, frankly, have time for it, so advising you to do so): Visit this page of Platinum members and this page of Diamond members . Make a list of those with ranks from 1 to 13. Go to their individual scoreboards and check their points of the two weeks which you have mentioned. After you have done in-depth research, let us know the details and the result. If, then, there is genuinely an issue, we will once again request Tony Sir to check it out.

Partha,
    "Members who have been holding the first four ranks during the last two weeks, are always above me in ranking."

That is not true. Can you substantiate your claim because the data reveals something else?

It is very rare that I make it to the 'top four ranks' in a given week. Only once did I top the chart, so to say, and reached the number one position in a month, and that was when I had submitted 90 articles in one month.

I have been missing from action for over a month and became active just a few weeks back. I have been topping the ranking chart since, through my contributions. In this period, I jumped to the number one position overtaking the others. That explains why my rank improved from 13 to 12 and yours fell.

My previous response was deleted, perhaps someone did not understand a phrase attributed to the great PG Wodehouse and recognized by Macmillan.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

Ms. Juana: My previous response has also been deleted and a valuable point deducted because an Editor could not co-relate Sherlock Holmes, Mycroft Holmes and Prof. Moriarty.

I stand by what I stated. I had written the post after doing some probability calculation.

You stand by a lie, then. And are creating a furore based on it.

Probability calculations can't match up to facts, now, can they?

Shift gears from your probability calculation to the actual points, as they are, and you will find reasons for the inexplicable.

Now, a little bit analysis! Mr. Pramod (Rank 1), Mr. Ravi Shankar (Rank 2), Ms. Vandana (Rank 4), M.K (Rank 5), Ms. Vimala (Rank 7), Mr. Dhruv (Rank 10) and Mr. Kailash Kumar (Rank 11) scored less points than me during the last two weeks. I am not very sure about Dr. Rao (Rank 9).
    During the previous two weeks, Mr. Mohan (Rank 3), Mr. Phagu Mahato (Rank 8) and Ms. Juana (Rank 12) scored better than me.
    So, from the above, I feel that my position can't move downward.

Since Partha is sticking with his probability calculations, we are now closing this thread. He can contact Tony Sir directly if he has any further issues after doing actual calculations.

Thread re-opened since I seemed to have typed my response at the same time as that of Partha's last response & he has done some analysis and wants to clarify things. Any more researchers with free time to check this out (am seriously asking, not ridiculing)?

I just learnt a few more things about the MemberRank system. Here it is:

1. Members who haven't logged in last 90 days are excluded from member rank calculations
    2. Members who haven't score atleast 100 points in lat 90 days are excluded from member rank calculations
    3. Member Ranking is calculated based on "Effective Points" which considers the Total Points as the base but it also gives "some" weightage for the points earned in last one year and a "heavy" weightage for the points earned in last 1 month.

The automated system calculates the Member Rank based on the "Effective Points".

Even if you have earned highest points in last few weeks, your rank may go down for several reasons beyond your control. For example, if a few inactive top scorers from the past suddenly logs into the system or earnes some points that make them eligible for higher effective points, you may lose your ranking just because they became eligible for higher score.

regards,
    Tony John

The member holding the number one rank has not logged in for longer than 90 days. Pramod still holds the rank despite not having contributed for over 90 days.

Hmm... looks like I need to learn more about it. I will get back to this thread soon with more details.
    regards,
    Tony John

PLease check the member ranking. Sort by Member Ranking and you will see it in the order of ranking (I just fixed it to show in the correct order).

Juana, there is no requirement that the member has to contribute in last 90 days to be part of the ranking system. He just has to be part of ISC by logging in last 90 days.

regards,
    Tony John

I am really grateful to the Webmaster because he has acknowledged that there may be some inexplicable issues in the ranking system of ISC. Now, let us come to the punishments and brickbats which I have received in this thread (although it is not fully relevant).

(a) 2 points have been deducted from the thread (3 points from 5 points).
    (b) -1 point for my response at #641667.
    (c) Ridicule (Responses #641624, #641666, #641684, #641671, etc.)

I accept the punishments and brickbats in good spirit.

Mr.Partha, appreciate your thread that has brought out the intricacies/complexities in the ranking system that needed the webmaster himself to check the facts and rules.

Partha,

Most of what Tony Sir stated is the same as in the earlier announcements if you check all the three links to those which I gave. Everything was explained, nothing inexplicable as you call it. The only additional fact came up with Juana's query about Pramod's ranking. So in a way, this thread was helpful & brought in a new light and would be helpful to new members who were not aware of the ranking system. I do feel you should put queries, suggestions and complaints in a less dramatic way!

Hope we can lock this thread now.

(The 5 points to this thread will be restored)

We had a fruitful discussion in this thread. As desired by the ME, the thread may now be locked.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.