You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Bouquets and brickbats on the same day

Today is a little bit odd for me. No, I am not talking about my office or my interactions with people of my colony. There is nothing to talk about these routine affairs. I am talking about my interactions on the platform of ISC. Today I have received a bouquet of virtual fresh flowers from the ME. I have also received brickbats from her in a Forum thread. I have received brickbats from an Editor and a Member in the same Forum thread during the course of discussion. But, at the same time, I have received appreciations also from another two Members.

I have accepted the brickbats without taking any offense. I have accepted the appreciations with humility. I have received both bouquets and brickbats on the Forum section.

Perhaps the Forum section of ISC reflects our life. Both bouquets and brickbats are part of the game.
    By the way a performer only gets a brickbats because there are so much expectations from him to do better than past and hence through brickbats people want to register their say to mend your ways. And coming to the point of bouquets, it is again a act of soothing those who are already agitated and annoyed. Some times bouquets are given to those who have really explained a thing that touched the heart. Nevertheless this is life, as getting two sides of appreciation and brickbats that can happen only here because all the members are not enemy to each other and some do like others from heart.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Life is a mix of both, when we have been wronged, we need to stand up to it with clarity and tenacity, when we have wronged, we need to accept it with maturity and correct ourselves. This approach will get us bouquets and brickbats in life and most importantly, a valuable experience.

An excellent thread from the author showing the viscissitudes of our professional life in our journey of creative writing.

Only those who attempt will have setbacks.

I still remember that when I was in my class V in a mission school, the students were supposed to recite a poem or sing a song or tell a few sentences about anything in front of the gathering of school teachers and students in a big hall.

For me also this was the first opportunity to come to the stage. Before that event we were asked our choice and not knowing much at that tender age I simply told that I will recite a poem. I went to my house and told my father about this. He was excited and thrilled more that me and immediately searched a beautiful short hindi poem and after a few days rehearsal in front of my father, I was reciting it very easily.

On that fatelful day in the school when my name was announced, I went to the stage and turned towards the audience. The hall was full of students. The teachers and the principal were sitting on front rows. All eyes were on me and starting me constantly.

I was totally shocked by that big audience and was totally blank in my mind as for what purpose I came on stage. A teacher on the side of stage told me to start the poem. I could not. I was simply staring back to the audience and my throat was choked and there was no communication between my mind and tongue.

After a while a feeling of humiliation engulfed me and tears rolled down my cheeks. A kind teacher came to my rescue and took me back to my seat and the next name of the performer was announced and that boy started moving to the stage.

These are the humble beginnings and today we are bold enough to share it with others.

Knowledge is power.

It is very common in everybody's life. For all our actions which they like we may get appreciations from them and for all the actions which they don't like we may get brickbats. This is even true in our house also. Everything is a part of life. When somebody appreciates us we should not get excited and when somebody cuts us short we should not get dejected. We should maintain our cool always.
    If really what we have done is a mistake we should accept the same and correct ourselves. If we feel we are correct, we can tell the people that as far as I am concerned what I have done is apt. Accepting or not is the wisdom of the other person. We should leave the matter there. Some people may think this attitude is not a correct attitude but my life taught me that this is the correct approach which will pay its dividends in long run.

drrao
    always confident

Just one day, Partha? You are very lucky! Guess whose monthly calendar is filled with them?!

Jokes apart, resilience, tenacity and sheer gutsy determination are what gets one back on one's feet each time the chips are down. And, yes, both pride & humility have their own place, too, in the general scheme of life.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

I agree with Vandana, when we are discussing issues and debating matters, we are bound to get mixed responses to which we should not worry and move on.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments