You must Sign In to post a response.
(This thread is the Special Prize Winner of the TOW contest for the week 8th July – 14th July’18)
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why not co-opt industry competence in all courses?

For every specialization in undergraduate and post graduate education, we do have the real world. For example, in Chemistry, we have research laboratories in Chemistry and even Corporate organizations that undertake cutting edge research. In Management, we have the entire real world.

Yet, no domain industry expert is available for changing the syllabus, for introducing new job-oriented electives and so on. Only this can reduce the gap between theory and practice and lead to employ ability. Why can't the Government get into the act and do something urgently so that we can have better and meaningful industry-institute co-operation?
    I am studying chemical engineering and I do have job oriented electives. I'm being taught softwares both General and designing ones. I have a subject called Chemical engineering Equipment Design which helps me design modules used in industries. I have another subject chemical engineering plant design and economics which helps me deal with the financial aspects of the industry. Not only this I've studied management sciences and entrepreneurship development too. The curriculum is designed so nicely that we get managerial, technical and soft skills easily.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

I do agree with the author that when the lessons are set for the core subjects, the concerned Industries or the association concerned to each Industry must be consulted and later the practicals must be held at the labs of those Industries so that the students gets first hand information and also for the Industry the future prospective candidates for the jobs. Our studies are ending up with theory knowledge and that is why some companies are asking for "experience" from the first time job seekers and that is the height of stupidity. Nevertheless there is a awareness being created as responded by my son.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Earlier the academics were totally separated from the industry and the students coming out of the colleges failed miserably in the industrial atmosphere.

Now the situation has significantly changed and is going to further change with more coordination between the industry and academia.

What is required is association of students in more projects in the industry so that they can understand the application of knowledge in practice. Simple academics is not sufficient to conceive the complexities of the technical set ups.

I still remember that long back about 40 years back when I along with one of my class fellow, joined a technical job in an technical organisation, in the initial few months, we felt ourselves very miserable and humiliated as we were not knowing small technical things in spite of our Masters degree in Physics with specialization in Electronics. It took about a year to learn those small small things which probably a technician or diploma holder knows so thoroughly.

So, that much gap is not now there but still a lot of amalgamation is required between the industry and academia.

Knowledge is power.

Very true. There is a large gap between the need and the availability. There are many Engineers but they have not had the required skills. The designers of the course are also not aware of the actual needs. So this gap is increasing from time to time.
    In this area, I want to share a little about my experience. I was a board of studies member in Gulbarga University for the Department of Material Science. We assembled once in the University to decide on the course requirements. I convinced them to conduct a meeting with the local process Industries and taken note of the requirements of them there. This I could do due to my rich experience in Chemical Industry for about 35 years. We designed the course in such a way that those requirements will be included in the curriculum and we have decided that each student will go and do a project work in the industry and submit their report. This has given good results. All those students immediately after completing their course got absorbed in those respective industries. Same was followed in Andhra University Applied Chemistry department where I was a Board of studies member.
    So this kind of interaction will give more useful output from the industries. But how many departments and how many universities are following this concept is the question mark.

drrao
    always confident

There is no proper education system in the country. At periodic intervals, the syllabus are modified but the real problems are not looked into. Do we study only to gather knowledge? Possibly not, we need to apply that knowledge in the respective field to leverage benefits. For this, cooperation between the industry and university/technical institutes is a must. There is a need to learn the implementation of the knowledge gathered through different courses. In many curriculum things are taught which are only for academic knowledge and has no implementable purpose.

There is an urgent need to modify all the courses into two parts. One will be for the students aspiring for jobs and another one will be for ones who would like to purse further studies/research. This "one curriculum for all" method of teaching is unnecessarily lowering the standards of expertise in industry as well as research.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Rao Sir, excellent input. Kindly take up such initiatives on your own. Am sure Engineering Colleges in places like Chittor, Puthur and so on, will like to engage your services to bring about the kind of transformation you are talking about. Kindly get in touch with both SRM University as well as VIT University, both of which have seemingly set up shop at Amaravathi. Please do convince them that some breakthrough research will not only bring about more visibility about their institutions, but also enable the society. In the sense, more people will get some jobs.

I do not know if this idea is possible. Kindly use your knowledge and expertise, as applicable, to motivate agricultural scientists to do advanced research on organic farming practices and then take it to some combination with chemicals that are not harmful, that is chemical fertilizers. I understand that the Dr M. S. Swaminathan Foundation is doing some research in this area. Please do get in touch with them too.

Once again, hearty congratulations for your effort and also for sharing this experience of yours in this forum. Whenever something good happens, as long as people start moving from level A to B, in terms of economic status, and if it even means a jump of Rs.100 per day in terms of income, their world will change, and to that extent, the social tensions will also reduce. I did want to hear something like what you have stated. Am also happy that Mr Aditya Mohan is having job oriented courses in Chemical Engineering, in the place where he is studying. This is the only way forward.

I will give you a live example. Please do visit the Media Relations Department of the prestigious Loyola college, Chennai. They run the best B.Sc (Visual Communication) course in India. After understanding their way of working, Sir, kindly motivate the likes of Andhra University and even Osmania University to get them introduce this course, if they do not have such a course. Please do note that these trained professionals are employed even by the likes of NTDV on salaries that exceed one hundred thousand per month, after just three years of experience.

• Sign In to post your comments