You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What did Einstein think about Indians?

All of us know about Einstein. He firmly established the quantum theory although he got the Nobel Prize in 1921 for his research on Photoelectricity. We Indians know that Einstein had great respect for Rabindranath and Gandhi. Einstein also had a good relationship with Satyendranath Bose, the great Indian physicist.

But what was Einstein's general opinion about the Indians? Like others, I also thought that Einstein respected Indians (from his views about the three great men of India). But, no! The actual position may be different.

Ze'ev Rosenkranz, the Assistant Director of the Einstein Papers Project at the California Institute of Technology, has edited a book which compiles Albert Einstein's travel diaries. This book has made diary entries public recently. The entries have sparked a debate on Einstein's views on the people from India, Sri Lanka and China.

Einstein seemed to believe that the Indians were "biologically inferior" and they were hampered by the subcontinent's climate which "prevented them from thinking backward or forward by more than a quarter of an hour."

I am pained!
    Probably Einstein was not aware of great peoples spanning from the North to South, who may not be educated like him and yet had the cascading effect on our history with their attitude and behavior. And if the Einstein would have been alive , surely he would rate Indians as the best. Because, every so called developed country is harping on India's intelligentsia and wants youth from our country to work in the research and development of any product. If Indians were biologically inferior, then how come this whooping change can be seen with our naked eye. So I disown his assumptions.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Einstein, we all know him as a famous scientist. His contributions are very well known in the field of science. But his abilities to analyse the people and their behaviours may not be exemplary. Or his sampling may be not representative. He might have concluded this by seeing a very few people.
    Indians are very intelligent and they are able to survive anywhere and everywhere in the world. Today if we look around, there are many Indians who are doing very good all over the world. The top people of some big MNCs are from India and they are able to manage the things very well.
    I can't say his statement is wrong but the study he has conducted to make that statement is not sufficient and he can't generalise the issue like this with his limited understanding of the subject.

drrao
    always confident

I find Einstein's opinion "they were hampered by the subcontinent's climate which "prevented them from thinking backward or forward by more than a quarter of an hour" is ridiculous (mildly speaking) or laughable (exactly speaking).
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

Even Einstein can't inspire the Members of ISC! I would like to know the opinions of Members about the opinion of Einstein about Indians.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

It is true that climatic conditions and geographical locations to some extent affect the productivity of the local people but it in no way affects their intelligence or wisdom.

As it is rightly said - there is a foolish corner even in the mind of the wisest person - so the great philosphers and thinkers can also err in their judgement sometimes especially in such cases where it is not related to the scientific aspect but the human capability in a particular climatic locale.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments