You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Can they say anything?

Imagine you are a great scientist or a great mathematician. You are talking about the contribution of another scientist or another mathematician. You are humbly stating that the scientist/mathematician should be given a particular medal/award. Suddenly a historian arrives on the scene and tells you to shut up. He says that you have no right to recommend an award to the scientist/mathematician? How would you feel?

General Bipin Rawat is the Chief of Army Staff (COAS). He has reached this position because of his competence in the subject of warfare. And he has been displaying his calibre for forty long years. In a function to commemorate the contribution of Field Marshal Cariappa, the first Indian COAS. General Rawat said that considering his contribution to Indian Army, Field Marshal Cariappa may be awarded Bharat Ratna. Suddenly a Nehruvite historian named Ramchandra Guha tweeted and asked General Rawat to 'shut up'. He said that General Rawat has no right to request the Government to consider Field Marshal Cariappa for Bharat Ratna.

General Rawat was earlier addressed by a Congress MP as 'sarak ka goonda'. Now a Nehruvite historian asks him to 'shut up'.

I have two questions. Is Ramchandra Guha competent enough to judge the contribution of Field Marshal Cariappa to the Indian Army? My second question is far more important. Do the liberals have a license to say anything, even to a very respectable and important position-holder?
    Well, the liberals will say, in a democratic country there is a freedom of expression and speech. That is how different speeches and expressions are argued. It's a pertinent question whether liberals have the licence to say anything to a very respectable person. In most of the cases it is seen that everybody wants her/his share in the social platforms and want to stay in contention even by raising unnecessary controversies. Everybody should have a point of view and she/he can express it openly without hurting the others.

It seems everybody enjoys the mud-slinging done by politicians on a regular basis and want to practice it in their own life by applying it in cases they think fit.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

A very relevant song that comes to my mind here is " kuch to log kahenge, logo ka kaam hai kehna".
    We are living in a democracy and along with other rights comes the right to freedom of speech and expression.

Pondering on the whether they have the right to say such lose statements, is a lost battle according to me.
    The media is looking at sensationalism to score some quick points. Half the revenue is generated by reporting who said what against who. Haven't we heard of stories of careers getting destroyed and characters getting tainted for life just because some foolish or selfish people decided to say some random words in public?

In my opinion, we should as individuals become more aware of our judgemental natures and refrain from making any quick comments about anybody no matter how big or small the person is.

Very disturbing trend being carried on by Congress party and its leaders as there was mudslinging and apprehensions about the surgical strike, and now they are doubting the caliber and abilities of our General Bipin Rawat , the Chief of Army Staff. We the citizen of India are not having the iota of the information as to how our Indian Army is being run and safeguarding 124 crore people from the threats across the boarder and those who spit venom of criticism against the armed forces must be made to stay at the border when the shelling takes place and then they would know the lives of the armed forces and how precarious is their living there. By the way I am also supporting the Bharath Ratna suggestion raked up by General Rawat and it is very much true that our first field Marshall deserved to get the Bharath Rartna. In fact instead of awarding the highest civilian order to politicians it gives pleasure to award the great son of the soil posthumously.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: A small correction. Field Marshal Cariappa was the first Indian Army Chief but the second Field Marshal. He received the Marshal's baton after Field Marshal Maneckshaw.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

• Sign In to post your comments