You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

What is your breakfast story?

Food and nutrition are one of the most discussed topics of the current times. With increasing health issues, the quality and type of food and its nutritive value is gaining its rightful importance in people's lives.
    Breakfast is touted to be the most important meals of the day. It is repeatedly said that we should eat a king -like breakfast. The foods with the highest calories should be eaten the first thing in the morning so that we can get maximum energy for the rest of our day.

With more and more people joining the workforce and struggling to reach office on time in the morning, I believe not everybody pays so much attention to breakfast.

I, for instance, had to skip an hour of sleep to cook my lunch and breakfast before I went to work.
    How I dream of someone bringing me a hot cup of chai and a healthy, nutritious and tasty breakfast every morning?

What are your breakfast stories?
    That way I am very lucky. By the time I get ready for my morning food, my wife will be ready at the table with food for both of us. I enjoy the breakfast with her and then leave for office. I will carry a small packet of food for my lunch. Many times, I skip lunch but nor the breakfast. We will have a very traditional breakfast like Idli, vada or Dosa. If my wife is in a hurry she will make Upma fast. Some fruits also we will have and a cup of coffee also. Sometimes my wife feels like getting the food from outside. My driver will go and get us the breakfast. So that way I have no history of skipping breakfast.
    drrao
    always confident

deleted
    I love chocolates and ice creams!

Break fast? Hope you got it right. Breakfast is very important and you need to be very particular about the same. I have made it a point to break my night long fast with anything that my wife prepares for me. I think one may skip your lunch but should not (never) skip your breakfast. A wholesome breakfast can keep you going throughout the day.
    'He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.'- Elbert Hubbard.

what is laban ?

Laban is yogurt/buttermilk, Hindi word is lassi

Thanks to Mr. Neeraj, today I have learnt the Malayalam word of Lassi (Bengali/Hindi). So far as breakfast is concerned, we must take full breakfast. This must not be skipped. We may skip dinner, but not breakfast or lunch.

If my wife can't prepare tasty items for breakfast due to the paucity of time, I take bread-omelet and banana. I don't take milk as I am a fish-eater.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Mr Partha,
    Laban is Arabic word,

An interesting thread highlighting the most important part of our daily food intake.

In my case the things are slightly different as I was struggling for a sumptuous breakfast for quite some time but could not make it due to various early morning engagements elsewhere. I, after my retirement from the active service, then took a conscious decision to take the full meals sometime around 10 in the morning itself and then take some snacks in the afternoon.

This somehow yielded good result and surprisingly suited me and gave me enough time during noon hours to concentrate in other activities as I got a good void from 11 AM to 7 PM. So this pattern is going on smoothly except when we have some guests in our house or we visit our relatives or friends for a small break.

So practically speaking I am following the age old traditional Indian system of timings of taking full meals.

Knowledge is power.

#643610: Mr. Neeraj: Then why are you using an Arabic word in English sentences. You could easily write buttermilk.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

In our home there is no break fast as such as we are fond of rice, we directly cook the rice, sambar, vegetable curry and that would suffice for our children to eat and take with them the lunch box for the college.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Breakfast in most South Indian homes is all about iddli or dosa or uppma and the like. This will possibly not change for all times to come. However, when we go to other places like Mumbai, we are happy to munch the vada pav that is delicious, for breakfast. On a few Sundays, the lunch itself is taken directly at 10AM and in the evening we might have some tiffin at around 3PM. Of course, even this is becoming rare and people are going back to the breakfast and lunch routine. It is always said that one should never skip breakfast.

The breakfast story is a big deal for every house wife as this is their daily routine. Every night before they go to sleep, they have a question is mind, "what is tomorrow's breakfast?".

They would also have to satisify all the family memebers as everyone has different choice. Despite all these, they should also keep in mind to prepare a healthy food.

Yes with the current health issues, people are becoming more keen on their health and being concious on what to eat.

In olden days, people used to eat healthy food like cerials, lentils and etc like ragi, horse grams. We should also start start following such olden days' cooking style for good health.

Nice of all of you to share your breakfast stories. South Indian breakfast is indeed an excellent healthy and fulfilling option rather works well for lunch as well. Aloo paratha is also amazing. But it's always a headache to decide on the menu everyday

I enjoy a hearty breakfast. When eating at home, I always eat three staples at breakfast – a banana, half an apple, 7 almonds, and follow it up with whatever it is that I prepare. It could be an English breakfast with eggs, ham/bacon/sausages/salami or a desi breakfast of veggie stuffed paratha or chola/aloo puri or a South Indian breakfast of dosa, upma, idli or sandwiches made from leftover chicken etc.

Whatever I eat, I ensure that there are some veggies on my breakfast plate. An English breakfast would have fried tomatoes and boiled or lightly sautéed and seasoned veggies on the side. There'll be slices of carrots, onions, tomatoes and cucumber with the puris and the Southern dishes are usually accompanied with sambhar made with generous amounts of veggies, alternatively, I add them to the main dish idli/upma. I also make my own version of poha with finely diced green beans and grated carrots. Chicken sandwiches have generous amounts of bell peppers and onions etc. The only time that there are no extra veggies is when I make aloo paratha – those I enjoy with butter.

A healthy start to the day is important. And I enjoy cooking as well as eating.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

• Sign In to post your comments