You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Suggestions

Few tips that can get you going in poetry.

Friendship day poems are on rage and many of you are writing splendidly. I don't really respond to all the poems but I read them all. But for those who might face difficulty in shaping a poem I wish to give a tip. I'm not really a good poet and I have no physical qualification to enable myself advise you as an expert. But as a fellow poet I would like to help you out.

Jingles, poems and rhymes are used so interchangeably. But that should not be the case. There is a difference between all these.
    Jingles follow a flow. It is written to be sung. So there is an inherent rhythm and a constant meter. And also every two lines rhyme in perfect. Most jingles follow AABB format where A and B are rhyming schemes.
    Poems on other hand have a variety of variety of rhyming schemes. AABA, ABAB, AABB, AAAB, ABAA are just a few to name. We have a limited flexibility in terms of meter.
    So what is the easy way to write a poem?

Using the very easy AABB format is best for beginners. I write a lot of poems in that format. Make sure you balance the vowel sounds and not the words. "Miserable" has four syllable sounds. 'I', 'e', 'a' and 'e' make these sounds. Do not concentrate on the number of words you use. Pay attention to the syllables.
    Should I help out with an example?
    Ex: My parents were celebrity singers
    who happened to lose their fingers.

These lines sound good. They are in AABB format where last words of two lines rhyme. But the vowel sounds are not balanced. First line has 10 vowel sounds. Second one has 7-8 sounds. So not doing for me. But notice how easy it is to sing. It has a rhythm. It's a good rhyme.
    Let's try another thing.
    Ex: Both my parents were celebrity singers
    To my torment they lost their fingers.

Wow now the lines have perfect vowel sound balance.

This was a small tip. Without maintaining stuff like these and only making last words rhyme kills the emphasis of a poem. Poems are meant to be powerful. So we should not deny them.
    I hope I was helpful. Let's make great poems together.
    There is no need for any tips and tricks for any poetry I will write 10 at a time. If I want to write...
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

That's the spirit Bhushan. You're a creative man and I definitely know you can.
    The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Thank you, Aditya, for your tips regarding writing a poem. In Telugu to write a poem is very difficult. There are many rules and regulations and it is governed by Telugu grammar called Chandassu. But I don't know whether any such sort of rules is here. Otherwise like modern poetry in Telugu writing rhythmically is the only is not clear to me. Is there any book which describes these issues.
    drrao
    always confident

"There is no need for any tips and tricks for any poetry I will write 10 at a time."----------While I agree that the poets don't need any tip or trick to write poems, I seriously doubt whether this responder can write ten poems at a time. I think even great poets can't write more than one poem at a time. Till now I have heard that Michael Madhusudan Dutt used to give dictations for two poems to two writers simultaneously, and he is considered an all-time genius in Bengali literature.

But ten poems at a time! The Member may try one line at a time.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Dr. Rao, English poems too use what you call as "Chandassu" and "alakaara". Indo-European languages pretty much have same kind of poetry structure.
    But the Eastern languages like Japanese and Chinese, they have a mindbogglingly different kind of poetry. Haikyu poetry from Japan is an ideal example where first line has 5 syllables, second line 7 and third with 5 syllables.
    They are very different and difficult to write to foreign poets.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Well those who have creative minds have the ability and interest to write poem on any topic given to them impromptu and that indicates their full knowledge and control over the vocabulary. The more the simple poem the more it reaches to the common man. If you take the lyrics of old golden songs of any language you can find the mentions of nature, women, natural things and many more in poetic format and that really penetrated into the minds of the listeners and they are still fond of that old type songs . Even rap songs are aimed at rhyming words and sung in fast mode.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

We are aware of human - potentials and each having qualities. Poem can be composed with the familiarity of full details required to compose a poem. The composer should be honest enough to express his views without making any adjustment and the piece could be excellent with his lucid style of writing following the basic grammar of the language in which the same is composed.
    We have seen brilliant pieces of Gurudev Ravindra Nath, Michel Madhusudan and many other noted poets giving unique piece with their presence of mind. However, it appears doubtful to compose ten poems at a stretch in a day.

• Sign In to post your comments