You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

My friend! I won’t visit you in Bengaluru

The day I received the terrible news, I couldn't speak for a quite long time. My mind went back to our school. I went back to 3rd February, 1975.

On that day, I entered Class-III, Section-A for the first time. There was no other seat vacant. So, Shanti-di (our Arithmetic teacher) told me to sit beside you. That was the beginning of our friendship.

This friendship continued. Do you remember that we started a magazine when we were in Class-VIII? The name of the magazine was 'Ankur'. That was the first time somebody (you) praised my writing. I was spell-bound by your writing. We came closer at that time. Do you remember our Board examinations in South Suburban School (Xth Board) and Chetla Boys' School (XIIth Board). Those days! And finally, the result was declared and both of us took admission in the same College. You took admission in Physics Honours and I was in Maths. Honours.

After Graduation, you went to Mumbai for further study and I remained in Calcutta. But our long-distance friendship continued. I reached your marriage venue at 10 p.m. straight from Delhi. You reached my marriage venue from Bangalore.

Our friendship continued when you were transferred to Delhi. But in 2005, you returned to Bangalore and purchased your own flat. You settled in Bangalore.

On 1st January, 2006, you called me to inform that you joined a new company and would remain busy for quite some time in Bangalore and in Mumbai. I could not contact you for two months.

In March, 2006, I got that news. In Calcutta, your parents were devastated. I came to know that you had a terrible accident on Mumbai-Poona Highway. I came to know that you somehow survived but that survival was worse than death.

My friend Gautam! I have stopped going to Banglore since 2006. I can't see my dearest friend in almost vegetative state.

(As I can't write poems, I have written the post remembering my best friend. This is not a contest entry.)
    It is always sad and full of grief to see a friend in distress. The author has literally brought out those feelings in this thread.

The memories of childhood friend is something to cherish lifelong. They are our hidden treasures.

Knowledge is power.

A very nicely narrated real happening and the friendship starting in high school and blossomed for more than 31 years. Really appreciable. When something happens to our dear people we will be definitely sad and we can't control our grief. Your sadness is seen in your last sentence that you stopped going to Bangalore as you can't see your friend in such a distressed condition.
    drrao
    always confident

A wonderful friend and those childhood memories are unforgettable. All these memories were unfolded by the author in this post. It's very true, impossible to see such a valued friend in this condition. A relation of more than 30 years and after that this painful situation will make everybody very emotional. As we grow little older, memories are the only thing we wish to cherish.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

Good. Long live your friendship. May you meet your good friend in Bengaluru or Kolkatta soon. A ship that will never sink is the FriendSHIP.
    No life without Sun

Mr. SuN: Who knows? This ship may have already sunk! My friend has not visited Kolkata during the last 12 years.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

Having hopes is the greatest virtue one should have. Good friends wont sink and would try to sync somewhere or the other as God also likes good people to mingle and progress.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Partha,
    The ship of friendship might waver, but will never sink. It remains forever, even after death.

No life without Sun

It is sad to see a dear friend suffer and we can all empathise. Your writing brought back a flood of memories and my own school days and friends just flashed past in an instance.
    The feelings of the heart are put down well in simple words.

Oh My Gosh! How come this incident is very similar to the one I know! Those were the times, from late 2007 until early 2011, when I used to work in a private concern in Jamshedpur. We had taken an apartment on rent. The apartment belonged to a family, who stayed in Mumbai. Their relative in Jamshedpur helped us with the leasing of the apartment. Then one day, from the local contact, we came to know that our landlady's brother and his family had met with a serious accident a couple of years back on the Mumbai Pune expressway. The couple and their daughter were seriously injured. The woman lost her life. Daughter and father survived but the latter was reduced to a vegetative state.

What I am wondering, are both the incidents same? Same consequences, similar mishap, the same route and around the same time. They were also Bengalis. Not very sure about their place of residence, whether Bangalore or Mumbai, but so many other things are similar. Or perhaps, it is just a coincidence.

Things went bad to worse for our landlady. Destiny was perhaps not too eager to put a full stop to her sufferings and mental agony. Her sister-in-law was lost and her brother was reduced to a vegetative state. In 2010 or so, tragedy struck once again. Her husband suffered a massive heart attack while he was on an office tour. Our landlady was left heart broken. It was her and her family's dream to return to Jamshedpur and settle there one day. However, with such devastating losses, one after the other, all her plans went haywire.

Wondering, how cruel a turn, sometimes our life can take!

Partha, it was a nice way to remember your friend. Like always, your narration has been excellent. No doubt you are a master in penning down incidents and personal experiences.

Patience and perseverance pays

• Sign In to post your comments