You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Are waterproof umbrellas are still there?

As Rainy season comes we will always not forgot to take the umbrella when we get outside such a useful thing for us. But which country got this innovative idea do you know! It is none other than China sometime around 2000 BC. The Chinese were the first to waterproof their umbrellas out of paper which was waxed for better rain protection. Are still waterproof umbrellas there? Do you use them? Knowledgeable members, please respond to the question.
    Well the main aim of having a umbrella is to protect from the heat and the rain. If umbrella is not water proof then the entire concept of having it defeated. I think Malayalees have a big umbrella made of coconut leaves and its trunk parts which is not only strong but also water proof. If you have seen the Lord making the Mahabali King to bend and punish him by pressing into the ground, he would carry the same umbrella. And and now a days the fashionable colored umbrellas not fit enough to with stand the rain or the wind. Just for the sake of it we carry the umbrella and the real purpose wont be served.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Waterproof means it will suck the water but our umbrellas will not suck the water that is why we dried them outside is n't it? I don't think all the umbrellas are not waterproof. Umbrellas become wet.
    A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

All umbrellas are not waterproof. They get wet. But it protects us from getting wet with water during rainy season. Even these days there are some umbrellas on which there will be a wax coating which will act as nonwetting agent. But the majority of umbrellas will not have this wax coating.
    The umbrellas with thadi leaves are used in some villages in Andhra Pradesh. During the marriage, the bridegroom will be given such an umbrella as a gift by the bride's father.
    I never used any waterproof umbrella so far. We have umbrellas which are made of cloth and designed cloth.

drrao
    always confident

Water proof? What are umbrellas meant for?
    'Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance'. - George Bernard Shaw.

Bhusan,
    "Waterproof means it will suck the water" - It is a strange statement from you. Water proof means, it should not suck the water, but should not allow the water to get in. Generally, all umbrellas get wet. They protect us from water falling on our body especially our top to some extent. There are plastic umbrellas which can be called as water proof umbrellas. All umbrellas used during rain need to be dried after its use.

@ There are wrist watches on which the words "Water Proof" is written. Does it mean that the wrist watches will suck water?

I think you failed to use the word 'not' correctly in their appropriate places.

No life without Sun

@Sun,
    Chinese were the first to waterproof their umbrellas out of paper which was waxed for better rain protection. So my definition waterproof means it will not get wet but the umbrellas are getting wet that is why we put outside to dry them is n't it.You can refer the response of #644324

A blunt knife or rusted knife can't be useful for anything just for the sake we call it as the knife similar to PayTM series or Sachin or Virat records.

Bhusan,
    Anyway, I do not accept your statement that the waterproof umbrellas suck water. Do you have any explanation to this.

No life without Sun

It should absorb or squeeze the water automatically. We cannot put outside for drying out as we presently doing it for our umbrellas.

I remember as a child, we used to have 'Sun' and 'Stag' brand umbrellas in Bangalore. These were the long ones that are equal to the length of a walking stick. These were made up of cotton black cloth and would get wet on the outside by the time we reached home. These had to be left open in the corner of the hall or the veranda so that it could dry out.

The present-day umbrellas come in two and three-fold ones, with a nylon/synthetic material that is basically water repellant. Having used both, I can say that the umbrellas were waterproof.

Bhusan,
    What is this? If an umbrella can absorb water, it means it got wet. How can this be termed as water proof? Moreover, how much water an umbrella can absorb and retain? We need to squeeze the umbrella or dry it to drain it. Earlier days, the umbrellas were made of thick black cloth which get wet, but were useful to protect us from rain. There were no waterproof umbrellas then, but we have all the umbrellas water proof now with plastic quoted materials.

No life without Sun

If the umbrella gets wet then How it is called as a waterproof?

Waterproof Material - An intermediate layer made of a water repellent material with a dual function. This layer not only enables the outer layer to stay dry by preventing the raindrops from coming through, it also pulls the water towards the microfiber in order to ventilate it and dry it effectively.

Sorry Bhushan,
    It is a new water proof theory to understand. You may call it as water repellent umbrella, but not water proof umbrella. So you can alter your thread title accordingly, and edit the word water proof as water repellent.

No life without Sun

It is given clearly as Waterproof Material.
    Whereas in a garment made of waterproof textiles one should stay dry, however long and in whatsoever conditions.

Umbrella means - an apparatus designed to protect us from rain water and sun heat. It has to be water proof and heat resistant. Hence all umbrellas manufactured are water proof and heat resistant items. Nothing more to discuss on special umbrellas of yours.
    No life without Sun

@Sun I gave a definition of waterproof vs water repellent please read carefully.

There is nothing called waterproof umbrella. Earlier also there was nothing called waterproof umbrella. Umbrella can't be waterproof. It only protects the upper portion of the body (mainly head) from rain and heat.
    Non-violence is the greatest Dharma; So too is all righteous violence.

This lengthy discussion intrigued me and I started questioning my own understanding of waterproofing.
    So I came across this video on YouTube which showed a world best waterproof umbrella.
    I didn't understand the foreign language but saw that when the water drops fell on the umbrella they just got accumulated towards the bottom or dripped down altogether.
    You could just shake off the water as the umbrella did not get wet and there was no need to dry.
    And no the umbrella we commonly use is not waterproof.

If there is any plastic element present on the top of the umbrella, then there is every chance of rain droplets getting slipped outside and wont remain on the umbrella. May be this is what water proof.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

With the advent of time, the umbrella also went through many innovations and there are different type of materials which were used as clothing in them.

Depending upon the material the umbrella will get more or less wet and accordingly take more or less time in drying up.

A strong plastic type material will be ideal for the purpose which dries up quickly so that you need not to bother to open it and keep for drying.

Knowledge is power.

The umbrella has gone a long way. It is time to fold and keep it dry. Just fold and unfold twice or thrice to get the water out before you store it in a place. All modern umbrellas are water proof umbrellas. I conclude.
    No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments