You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is shorthand still alive or dead?

Dear All,
    Once upon a time, when I was a school going boy, learning the typing and shorthand were important to get any clerical job. After my SSLC, I was encouraged to become a stenographer, and I had gone to a typewriting institute and learned typing and shorthand for three months. But I did not complete it and pass any examination as I got a good job. I learned typing and shorthand to some extent.

Now, I doubt whether shorthand is still alive or dead. With the technological advancement, I think shorthand is not being taught in institutions and learned by the job seekers.

What is the state of shorthand now? Are the stenographers in demand?
    The demand for stenographers has come down. Many people started carrying their office on a laptop and they work on that on their own while commuting or in the house or wherever they get some time. We see many times while travelling many people at airports and during air travel working on their laptops. So they are not depending much on dictating the letters to somebody and then getting it typed. As such the necessity of stenographer is becoming less. Earlier in our office, we were having about 6 to 7 stenographers. But now the number has come down to 3. Same is the case with many of the offices. Even demand for data entry operators is also coming down a lot of extents as all started working directly on the system. As such slowly the stenography will become outdated. We have been sending telegrams earlier. Now that system is abandoned as the messages are going much faster and conveniently than the system. Same is the case with this stenography also.
    drrao
    always confident

• Sign In to post your comments