You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Will the demand for Diesel vehicles decline with diesel cost the same as petrol?

Is the future bleak for diesel vehicles with the narrowing of the price difference between diesel and petrol? Share your views.

Today there was a transport strike strictly observed in Telangana resulting in autos off the road, taxis off the road and even TSRTC and private buses off the road. No body thought that the buses would be withdrawn and it was a rude shock for the office goers and the students to reach their college and offices. The transport strike was in support of reducing the recently hiked price on diesel which is hardly 7 rupees lesser than petrol rate.

Earlier the difference between diesel and petrol was nearly half. So the future is bleak for the diesel vehicles and its demand.
    For a long time, diesel prices were considerably lower than the petrol. It was the main factor in the growth of diesel vehicles for transport purposes.

If due to international scenario and changing export policies of OPEC nations the diesel price increases then the whole business economics will be affected and new equations will be formed in the business of transportation and other expenses in diesel engines for miscellaneous jobs.

Knowledge is power.

Now with just 7 rupees difference, I think petrol vehicles would be preferred for its smooth running and trouble free on the roads.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I have a petrol vehicle which will be used by my elder son and I use another vehicle with diesel engine. The maintenance cost of diesel vehicle will be more than the petrol vehicle and ride will be smooth in vehicles run with petrol. So these days I am feeling that using petrol vehicle is economical than diesel vehicle. As mentioned by the author the difference is just seven rupees only.
    Definitely there will be a reduction in the sales of diesel vehicles and people may think of going for petrol vehicle. But the actual problem is diesel is the main fuel for transport vehicles and because of this the goods transportation charges will increase and hence the rates of the commodities may increase which will effect the common man also. So I think government has to give a thought about the diesel cost and see the ways and means to decrease the prices of diesel.

drrao
    always confident

The price difference between petrol & diesel is narrowing, agreed. Still, there are two advantages for buying a diesel vehicle.

1. Present day diesel engines give more mileage per litre than their petrol versions. So, even if the prices of petrol & diesel get even some day, the running cost of a diesel vehicle will be lesser than the running cost of a petrol vehicle.
    2. Gone are the days when diesel engines used to be dull. Present day diesel engines produce more power than the petrol versions of the same CC. So, those who love power in their vehicles will still go for diesel versions.

Big car manufacturers in India are no fools, Mohan! They are heavily invested in India. None of the companies has stopped production of diesel versions, I think. In fact, Suzuki's Vitara Brezza, the hottest selling SUV which has a three-month waiting period, doesn't come in petrol version. It has a diesel version only.

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

But the recent hike of diesel would put the probable buyers on hold.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan,

BMW 6 Series GT, which costs more than 60 lacs comes with a petrol engine and a diesel engine as well. So, is BMW able to sell this car in diesel version? Yes, they do sell its diesel version too. That's why they produce it. They have much more qualified, financial experts to guide them. They also know that in the near future, prices of petrol and diesel will be equal one day. Still they are producing diesel versions. Why?

A person who can spend more than 60 lacs on a car is not worried about its running cost. Then why does he still buy a diesel version of BMW 6 Series GT when a petrol version is available? Just because the diesel version has more power than the petrol version.

BMW 6 Series GT is just an example. The case is almost same with every other car.

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new!

• Sign In to post your comments