You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

How "forgotted" will be correct in few years

There are two kinds of verbs according to Zipf theory. They are regular and irregular verbs. So what are these. Your regular verbs are verbs who's past tense is obtained by adding a suffix to the root verb, for an example: play and played, inform and informed etc..; Irregular verbs on other hand are not obtained by simply adding a suffix. Ex: sing, sang and sung.

You might have noticed this yourself. So why do few words go into irregular category? Why is it- forget, forgotted and forgotted? The reason given to this is actually complex. Irregular verbs are the ones that almost sound the same in many languages. For an example words like eat and drink.
    Eat, eaten and ate; drink, drunk and drank. This is because most irregular forms originated from Indo-European languages. There is a characteristic of this Indo-European languages.
    Take Sanskrit for an example.
    Bhavathi, Bhavathaha and Bhavanthi is how the verb structure goes. So clearly vowel sounds change in the past tense and participle.
    That is why we have words that go like irregular verbs. So to correctly know the past tense of a word you need to know its origin. Because regular verbs obtained from Germanic languages follow a different structure. Since in German you can obtain a past tense by adding a suffix.
    Schwimm(swim) and geshwimmen(swam) are the examples.

Summary, if a word comes from Latin or Germanic origin, it is a regular verb and you can just add a 't' or 'ed' to get its past tense directly. But Indo-EuIndo-European words are irregular with changing vowel sounds instead of a suffix.

But translations always kept happening. The words "have" and "make" had their past tenses as "haved" and "maked". But to make these words sound better, they were irregularized, making them "had" and "made" instead. But irregular verbs to became regular
    A lot of them did. For a long time past tense of help was "holp". Today it is helped. It has been regularized. Words tend to become regularized when you use them a lot. We apparently use "help" a lot. So if we "forget" a lot, it will eventually regularize into "forgotted".
    A good lesson about irregular verbs and regular verbs and their Past tense or Future tense. It is an education forme that a word from the Latin or Germanic origin is a regular verb and a word from the Indo-EuIndo-European is an irregular verb. But I like to know is there any clue to know which word is the Latin or Germanic origin and which word is from the Indo-EuIndo-European origin.
    drrao
    always confident

Pronunciation could be a clue. The stress at syllables will usually indicate the origin of the word. Otherwise we are bound to learn other languages' structures to know such details. It is not an easy task. Even the participants at spell bee ask for cues such as origin of words. Thesaurus and dictionary tells you the origin.
    You can, if you are well versed with spelling rules, learn the origin by observing the spellings of the words.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

It won't be forgotted but forgetted. Forget - forgetted - forgetten
    No life without Sun

This is the first time I have heard this word 'forgetted'. Till now, I knew: Forget-Forgot(Past)-Forgotten (Participle).
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

This is the greatness of this site. Some information which we do not know at all are shared with detail and this one is new for me and others too. Thanks.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments