You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Ajit Wadekar is no more.

Former Indian Test cricket Captain and chief selector Ajit Wadekar passed away yesterday in Mumbai. He is 77 years old.
    He is always remembered by Indians for the series wins against West Indies and England in 1971. He was the Captian for One-day series also but only for 2 matches and he made 73 runs in those two matches.
    He served as Manager to Indian Cricket team during the 90s when Azharuddin was the captain. Later on, he served the BCCI as the Chairman of the selection committee. He served the game throughout his active life in one way or other. The present-day cricketers should take him as a role model for the sincerity towards the game. Let his soul rest in peace.
    I have learnt from my cricket-loving elders that Wadekar was made Captain by Vijay Merchant, the legendary opener during 1930s and 40s, replacing Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi. Pataudi didn't play under him in West Indies and in England during 1971-72. Wadekar won both the overseas series. He continued winning in the home series against England during 1972-73. Indian cricket-lovers would remember Wadekar for these three consecutive series victories which indicated that Indian cricket had finally arrived.

Later he became the manager of Indian cricket team and the chairman of the selection committee.

RIP, Ajit Wadekar!

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Complete name as "Ajit Laxman Wadekar".

What can be a better achievement other than to have a spotless carrier in the end & only few legends have it. I had heard of this name many times during my childhood days & then suddenly gone missing from the limelight. May rest in peace.

• Sign In to post your comments