You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Spread the wings of courage and start flying!

The word 'fly' reminds me of the story of 'His first flight' written by Liam O' Flaherty. It is a story of a little seagull which was afraid of flying. One day the seagull's parents taught the young seagull and his siblings how to fly, skim the waves and dive for fish. Everyone started flying except the young seagull. Every time when the little one tried to fly, fear conquered him. His parents, brothers and sisters encouraged him to make his first flight. But it did not have the courage and confidence to attempt. So, leaving the young seagull on the ledge, his parents and all his brothers and sisters flew away a day before to search for food.

It was sunny and the seagull was alone and starving to death as he had not eaten anything since the previous night. He tried several times to fly but did not have the courage to fly because he had a strong thought that his wings would never support him. While he was in a pathetic condition, he saw his mother tearing a piece of fish with her beak. Out of hunger, the little one cried at her mother. His mother approached towards him with a piece of fish and kept the fish out of his reach. Maddened by hunger, the young seagull dived at the fish. On seeing the dive of the little seagull, his mother flew upward and the little one started to fall. He was at the peak of his fear, but the next moment he realized that he was flying in the air with his wings. The young seagull finally made his first flight.

Every journey begins with a single step. Be it a hard or a smooth journey, one must have the courage and self-confidence to start a journey. What good are wings without the courage to fly? Being a coward and holding the fear will not give a fruitful result. In our life, success is never guaranteed but every single step matters in our journey, so one has to try hard regardless of a possibility of a failure. Fear is just a reaction but courage is a wise decision. Ignoring the fear and courageously stepping forward helps us to fly high instead of staying idle in the same zone for years. Not only birds, we humans are also born with magical wings. Spreading our wings of courage and confidence will help us to fly high. We can catch our dreams only if we spread our wings of courage and start flying.

TOW Entry
    Thought provoking & at the same time well explained. One child elephant unable to untie or break the rope because he was weak enough to go for it & later on this became the mentality of the creature that when he became big & strong, he continued with the same thought going inside his mind & he never became free for whole of his life. The message is clear that if we have to achieve big in our life we have to take the steps & the actions accordingly or else we will be dead within the same boundary. Good one.

Yes without courage and determination nothing can be achieved and for getting the courage one must be out going and on learning spree. Great thread from the author.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

True. If you stay on the sea shore and wait for the tides to come down, your wait will be endless. Same is the case in this case. When the necessity raised, a do or die situation arises, every one will go for the kill. When you have enough you never take a chance. But when nothing is there with you , no option for you except taking the risk. This is what I understand from this post.
    drrao
    always confident

Fabulous input. Hearty congratulations for the brilliant narration. Does connect the most important points so well.

Please do keep it up.

A good narration on flying. The mothers efforts to encourage and motivate her offspring are really impressive part of the story.

Sometimes the disheartened people require a push to struggle ahead and get success. This story gives this lesson in its true spirit.

Knowledge is power.

Thanks to the author for reminding me of the favourite story of mine during my childhood. I still remember that I read the story in Bengali translation when I was 6 years old. I was mesmerized by the description. I read the original story when I was around 12. The effect was the same.

What a language! What a description! And how does it teaches a lesson to the readers! I feel that every person, especially the children and teenagers, must read 'His first flight' by O'Flaherty.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

With a good story the author has tried to convey a good message using the keyword. Hesitation never takes us to our goals. Confidence and preparation only can do that.

• Sign In to post your comments