You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

Do you know me? Most of the time, I sit and I fly around you

You see me everyday, but you don't know about me. I sit beside you, I sit in front of you, you get angry. I fly around you, you get irritated. But what can I do? I don't have any other alternative except sitting and flying. Know some important facts about me.

(a) I always survive on the liquid diet. I don't have anything to chew, so I have to drink my food. I regurgitate digestive juices on solid foods and these break down to small pieces.

(b) I taste my food not with the tongue because I don't have it. So, how do I taste food? I taste it with my feet! The taste receptors are located on my lower legs and feet.

(c) I can walk upside down. This is due to my anatomy. I can walk on any surface, be it horizontal, vertical or even upside down. This is due to my foot contains two fat foot pads.

(d) My reaction time is amazing! While your brain can process only 60 images per second, my brain can process 250 images per second. Further, my eyes are compound eyes (unlike yours), which provide me with a 360-degree field of view. So my reaction time is a thousand times superior to your reaction time. It is the best in this world.

(e) You may call me a born lover. As a male, I have a 'love-spot' within my eyes. This love-spot helps me to find and chase my female companions. I do it throughout my life.

(f) Despite having so many qualities, unfortunately, I don't survive long. My average life-span is only 30 days.

I have many other qualities. I do not survive long. Even then, I don't get any sympathy from you. Is it due to my improper eating habit and breeding habit? Who knows!

Have you identified me? I sit and I fly around you. Who am I?

(Competition entry: ToW contest)
    The mosquito life has been well portrayed and connected to the tow topic by the author and the excelling write up is a tribute to all mosquitoes. Sure shot winner of this week.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

The author has given the information regarding the general disease spreading insect, mosquito, which is very nicely connected to the TOW topic. Flying is the habit of these mosquitoes and they will be around waste water always and they will come and sit on our body and suck the blood. In that process the diseases will be spread around.
    drrao
    always confident

A nice narrative in the usual imaginative style of the author. Very impressive and authentic details.

It was an enjoyable reading. A good entry from contest point of view.

All the best.

Knowledge is power.

Who am I?

Well, my guess is that you are the common house fly.

Am I right?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak" - Michael Garrett Marino

It is the tiny black fly that always flies at home. I never thought that a fly can be narrated like this with its quality and character. But why did God create this mini creature? What purpose does it solve? In which way it is helpful to the human being? I think, God created this creature to spread diseases only?

@ Mr. Mohan and Dr. Rao got it wrong as Mosquito despite the clear narration by Partha. Juana got it right.

No life without Sun

Good read Indeed.

It is true that we take too many things for granted, without actually understanding them, Common house fly is one such thing. I never knew so many interesting facts about Fly.

"If you want to make real progress, you must give up all ideas of personal attainment".

A wonderful self narration by a fly. The write-up is absolutely a classic where the topic came alive itself. The fly is everywhere and suddenly got stuck inside this thread. Very well done.
    Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

A unique way of introducing something by way of a puzzle. Fact is conveyed through fun. The author has found a nice way to link the TOW keyword.

• Sign In to post your comments