You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Mumbai airport renamed as “Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport”.

The inclusion of the term "Maharaj" to the then existing "Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport" has been done in order to pay more respect to this warrior. The request to add the word 'Maharaj' was made by Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) MP Sambhaji Raje Chhatrapati, who is also the 13th descendant of Maratha warrior king Chhatrapati Shivaji.
    It is good to know that the name of Mumbai International Airport is now known as " Chatrapati Sivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA).

The Bangalore International Airport is known as 'Kempagowda Internal Airport (KIA).

The Kolkatta International Airport is known as "Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport (NSCBIA)

The Delhi International Airport is known as "Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA)

We are left out with Chennai International Airport. We are yet to name it behind a celebrity. Probably, if DMK comes to power, they would name it as 'Doctor Muththamizh Kalaignar Iternational Airport (DMK-IA)

No life without Sun

Good that the Mumbai airport has been renamed as Chatrapathi Shivaji Maharaj International Airport , befitting to the great warrior of Maratha and that is truly deserved. Likewise in Hyderabad the old Begumpet airport was asked to rename after NTR but the center turned down then. The new Shamshabad Airport is named after Rajiv Gandhi International Airport. It is a good sense prevailing on TRS government as they have not changed the name as the ruling TRS is dead against the Congress and if they again come to the power in 2019, the airport may be named after P V Narasimha Rao.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

IIt is good that the term Maharaj has been added to Mumbai International Airport. This is adding weight to Shivaji. The BJP MP has taken a good decision in making a request to the government for this change. I appreciate the decision taken by the government.
    drrao
    always confident

Actually, you shared one good message that Mumbai airport renamed as "Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport". Thanks for contributing your important time to post such an interesting & useful collection of knowledgeable resources that are always of great need to everyone. I visit this site the first time and encourage by this good stuff work. https://panseva.com/

It is good to name the public places with names of well known people. But the pity is at a later stage the same has been either changed by another party come for ruling or shortened with initials. as CSMI Airport. I have seen when traveling by bus from Bandra to VT station of Mumbai, when the bus crossed the area of Mandvi,I saw the area fully covered by Muslim people and leather shops run by Muslim people, I planned to visit next time to buy some chapales. Suddenly the conductor announced as 'Iyer road uthro', I astonished how a muslim area we found Iyer. Later I understand by seeing the name board of shops that the are is "Ibrahim Rawthor Road'.

What Pattabhi said is true. Whenever a party comes to power, they try to alter or change or rename the existing names of their dislike with their their likes. I remember, during the DMK rule, the interstate buses plying between the states of Tamilnadu and Kerala/ Karnataka/Andhra were named behind former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi as 'Rajiv Gandhi Transport. When AIADMK came to power, they changed it as JJ (J Jayalalitha)transports. Again when DMK came to power, and due to many opposition in the state against naming the public transport with the names of political leaders and historical leaders, they all were withdrawn, and simply named as Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation (TNSTC) for normal service buses & State Express Transport Corporation(SETC) for Express service buses.

@ I hope no government will change the name of Mumbai Airport in future. It should remain as 'Chatrapathi Shivaji Maharaj International Airport' forever.

No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments