You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Seeking guidance: How can I write good and impressive answers?

Members! I humbly request you to go through my answer to a question, the link of which is given below:-

My answer to this question

My answer has got 3 points and Rs. 3/- as a cash credit. In this connection, I would like to state that I have changed four Government jobs after tendering technical resignation in each case. I know the entire procedure very well and as Head of the Administration Division, I have been guiding many young Government employees to tender technical resignation, getting the benefits of past service, pay protection and other benefits coming from technical resignation.

On the basis of my knowledge of rules and experience, I try to answer this type of questions on ISC and in another site. But, frankly speaking, the points allotted to me by ISC are not at all satisfactory.

So, I would like to know how can I write impressive answers to get more points answering similar questions. Kindly help me.
    Your good and impressive answers depends upon the editors who value your answers. If the editor is like you, you might get more points and CC. If the editor is not aware of the subject, they may not award you high points and high CC. It is the editors who feel it good and impressive, I think.
    No life without Sun

Partha, in the question under reference, other than the point at number 04, can you state what additional information you have provided to the responses already present? Points and cc are based on merits, the correctness of the answer and additional inputs.

Sun, was that comment actually required other than just for that inherent pleasure of taking a dig at editors?

'Our knowledge is a receding mirage in an expanding desert of ignorance'- Will Durant.

Mr. Ganesh: I didn't want to comment upon others' reply, but you have forced me.

The following statements: (a) "It is easier to resign during probation period as the notice interval will be minimal. You have to check the terms and conditions of the appointment and if one month salary in lieu of notice period is admissible then you can leave on day one of your submitting resignation letter.'' and (b): "Generally, if you are resigning for joining another government job there will not be any objection. So you need not worry. Before joining the job you talk to the immediate boss and tell him that you have the chance of getting another government job. In such case you will have to resign this point. If there are any hitches they will inform you." are not fully relevant to the question.

There are specific provisions for technical resignation, which are confusing to the new-comers. So, the new employees must be clearly told the exact procedure.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Partha, my query was not regarding the answers by others but was specific with reference to your answer. What additional information did you provide, except, might be, being a bit more specific? If your point is that the other responses have been given the same points and cc as your's despite their lack of clarity, it is a different issue. It need not be discussed now.

However, since you are seeking guidance from experienced members, I leave it to them to provide you with the necessary steps to help you post good and impressive answers to AE questions.

'Our knowledge is a receding mirage in an expanding desert of ignorance'- Will Durant.

What I feel that some times we are carried away with the self assessment that we have given best answer. But our editorial panels wont see the name who has appended the answer but they would go into the details of answer. A question can be answered in many ways. One out of personal experience, or the issue very well known and going through it. Second is the word by word detailing on how to proceed based on the question. And coming to AE Questions , those who raise the question should get satisfied and not the editor as such. So write answers to satisfy the author who raised it.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

1. "If your point is that the other responses have been given the same points "------------Please read the responses carefully. Did the other responses mention the same thing which I mentioned?
    2. "......since you are seeking guidance from experienced members, I leave it to them to provide you with the necessary steps"-------------Isn't the author an ''experienced Member''?

Saji,
    What I said is right. It is the human tendency. All editors are not experts in all the fields. So my good answer fits, not digs.

No life without Sun

Sun, all editors may not be experts in all fields but what about those who are actually experts in specific fields? Any idea? Since you are not aware of the qualifications or experience of our editors in the panel, it is not judicious to make a general statement to that effect particularly without looking into the question and other responses.

Almost all the answers to queries posted in the AE section are replied by members who either have a direct or indirect experience or have specific knowledge about the same or does some research to give a convincing reply to the person in doubt. A person asking a question can always come back and say that he is not satisfied with the answers and can always seek further clarifications in that connection. We do have examples of such appraisals.

Members have all the right to raise a complaint if they feel that they have been wronged in the way the points and cc have been allotted but when you tend to question other's answers (directly or indirectly), you would surely be expected to be specific to the point supported by facts.

Saji,
    Mine is a general understanding, not a specific understanding. It was my opinion as experienced by me at ISC.

No life without Sun

That is fine Sun, and acceptable. My issue was only with the general tone of your earlier response.

Saji,
    Kindly look at this Ask expert question regarding Airfare concession for senior citizen. Read the Question and see the Answer posted by a member. It doesn't solve my query. Yet the member has been awarded with Rs.3 CC. Is it not a good example to prove my statement about expert and non expert Editors?

No life without Sun

Sun, please provide the URL. Let us check it out.

"Since you are not aware of the qualifications or experience of our editors in the panel, it is not judicious to make a general statement to that effect particularly without looking into the question and other responses. "------- The assessment of some of the answers creates doubts in the minds of aam-Members.

I agree with Mr. Sun to some extend that judgement is always personal.

If I am asked to judge someone, I can only judge based on my own knowledge & experience. And no knowledge or information is perfect. Knowledge is a function of time.

"If you want to make real progress, you must give up all ideas of personal attainment".

Saji,
    Here is the concerned link to get into Airfare concession in Ask Expert section.

No life without Sun

Sun, no one can help when a person is confused. Do you really think that your query under reference was not answered properly? If so, I don't mind saying that your query itself was not direct. Asking a question and hiding many as subs (keeping as reserves to add on further queries) should not be the norm.

#647430, you need not be in doubt. We don't, anyhow, encourage wrong answers. By the by, has your point of contention been addressed? Please do not abandon your thread in between as usual.

No Saji,
    In that same thread in AE section, the second member has put up his answer in a satisfying manner, and I am convinced with his response. In fact, his answer should have received some CC, not the first member to post her response. She has repeated what I said in my question, The editor could not read and bringout the difference, but awarded CC blindly.

#647430 is applicable to Partha, not me. There is no question of abandoning this thread either by me or Partha. We remain alive in ISC forum forever. It is the Editor who has the key should not lock and abandon the thread..

No life without Sun

The thread is open. My question is also open. I have not yet received any satisfactory clarification till now.

"Please do not abandon your thread in between as usual."--------While waiting for a satisfactory reply, I am really enjoying this comment.

With a hint that one need not play smart and also that there are actually no shortcuts as has been made out, I am locking this thread.

You may satisfy the query of members in Ask Expert section if you have the know-how. Skip it otherwise.

Sun @ 647503, the answer expected by you may not be the same as is perceived by an editor. As I said earlier, things would be smooth if you are direct with your query.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.