You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

A day, we Indians can never forget.

The second day of October is remembered by every Indian because it is the day on which the Father of our Nation was born in 1869. We continue to celebrate this day as Gandhi Jayanthi day, every year.

There is another reason to remember this day. It is the birth day of one of our Prime Ministers too. He is none other than late Lal Bahadur Sasthri. He was one of our Prime Ministers noticed for his simplicity and honesty. As the minister in charge of Railways earlier, he resigned from the ministry owning the responsibility for a train accident at Ariyalloor, in Tamil Nadu, which resulted in the death of 140 passengers. Even Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, who was the Prime Minister then, could not dissuade him from his decision to resign. Throughout his life he led a very simple life. He removed his caste title from his name even when he was a school student. For his marriage he demanded a spinning wheel and a few bundles of threads as dowry. He was the Prime Minister when Pakistan attacked India. It was during this time he coined the slogan "Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan". Under his leadership, India won the war (Jai Jawan). Simultaneously he encouraged the food production and the result was positive (Jai Kisan). It was he who took the initiative to appoint women as bus conductors for the first time in this country. As a minister, he was very honest and was stern in his decisions.

Thus on October 2nd, we are remembering two great sons of our Nation.
    Yes we have heard about his honesty but the irony is people don't remember 2nd October as his birthday but for Gandhiji's birthday more.

I have heard an incident about Shastri ji. It is said that he never used a car even when he became prime minister of the country.

He said that people should skip a meal at least a day in a week to save food.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Some months ago, I raised a thread on how he took a loan from PNB as the Prime Minister to purchase a car and how after his death, his wife Lalita Shastri repaid the loan with extreme financial problem. But she didn't apply for waiving off the loan. Unfortunately, I can't trace the thread now.

2nd October is also the death anniversary of K. Kamraj, another great Congress leader, who never thought about any powerful position.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Partha, that tells how honest he was. As being PM of the nation he might have got the car free from the government.

Most of the politicians lack honesty. See Kejriwal who seem to be an honest person before he was nothing but changed once he became CM. Its very obvious people take advantage of their position but Shastiji was an exception.

Sanjeev

" It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not" ... Andre Gide

Undoubtedly 2nd of October is unforgettable because it is the birthday of the Father of the Nation as well as the birthday of late PM Lal Bahadur Shastri. Since Gandhiji is regarded as the Father of the Nation, his birthday, 2nd October, is celebrated countrywide and declared as a National Holiday. Both of them worked tirelessly for the betterment of the country and regarded as stalwarts.

On this particular day along with remembering them by paying tributes, we must practice their values in our real life rather than just paying the lip service. In today's world where tolerance has reached its optimum level, their ethos and values must be followed widely which will guide us to remain calm and peaceful.

Sankalan

"Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

On this day two world's most famous leader born in India are always remembered. The simple man who created a niche for himself with his Ahimsa plank, Gandhiji probably the most famous personality of politeness and soberness this world has created so far. And coming to the Iron man of India, Lal Bahadur Shastri is not that remembered among all. But those who are in freedom struggle and know the importance of his presence would certainly pay rich tributes to him. That is why a grand statue of Lal Bahadur Shastri is being readied in Gujarat and that will be dedicated to the nation shortly.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

On this day of Gandhi Jayanti, I pay my respects to Gandhiji. He is one person who does not require any introduction. A man who practised what he preached. The country at this critical juncture needs a person like him. Yesterday, one thread was raised about the engulfing fire of intolerance and lack of civility in our country and imploring everyone to save this country from such dangers. The country requires a personality of Gandhiji's stature to stem the rot that is taking place. I once again pay my respects to Gandhiji.
    Sri Lal Bahadur Sastry is a true follower of Gandhian principles and one of the finest Prime Ministers of India. His simple and honest living is an example to anyone. I pay my respects this great man.

" Be Good and Do Good "

Such simple leaders like Lal Bahadur Sastri and K Kamaraj are yet to take birth in India. More than the Father of our Nation, it is time to remember these two great leaders of India, one PM from the north and one CM from the south. On this lovely day, I stand erect and salute these three unforgettable great personalities.
    No life without Sun

These days we never see such leaders like Lal Bahadur Sastri or Kamaraj. We don't know whether India will have such leaders again. A minister resigning from the post because of an accident is never heard before or after Sastriji.
    He simply walked down from the office to the house refusing to get into the car of the minister as he was not a minister after resignation is simply an indication of his simplicity. These days MPs are not vacating the quarters even after their term is over and they are no more MPs. Lal Bahadur Satri's son was to get a promotion and his son asked him to just make a phone call to the concerned. Satriji told him not to accept the promotion as people may think that he got the promotion as PM's son. Such are the values of this great leader. I pay my respect to the two leaders who born on this day and to the third leader who died on this day.

drrao
    always confident

Lal Bahadur Shastri was an exceptional leader and few leaders have such high degree of discipline and character.

He put forth example of highest degree of honesty in public offices. We must remember such great personality on such occasions

Knowledge is power.

On the occasion of the birthday of Lal Bahadur Shastri, I pay my humble respect to the truly great, honest, ego-less and upright but mentally strong leader of India.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

It is interesting to note that some of the members totally avoided mentioning Gandhiji on this day of Gandhi Jayanti. Probably they have some grievance against Gandhiji.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

• Sign In to post your comments