You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Competition Entries

'Liquid Propellant rockets' - A classroom lecture to the aspirant space scientists.

Dear students,

Welcome to this great space lab for your internship programme. Good Morning and have a great future space vision to one and all.

I guess all of you have high dreams of working on rockets, flying an airplane and let me see whether I can give you some tips on the imagination of the rocket.

As you all come for the internship, I hope I can straightaway get into the Liquid Propellant Rockets (shortly liquid rocket) are rocket engines that use liquid propellants.

What is Liquid Propellant?

Liquid propellants are used by highest specific impulse rockets and liquids are desirable as the high density makes the volume of the propellants tanks to be low. The propellants are of two types viz single propellants uses single chemical, bipropellants as the name implies, uses two chemicals. And bipropellants are further divided into two viz hypergolic and non-hypergolic.
    Hypergolic ignite when fuel and oxidizer make contact each other while non-hypergolic require an additional ignite source. There is another kind which is more exotic tripropellant contains three chemicals. Liquid propellants are also used with a combination of solid fuel for hybrid rockets. They generally use liquid hydrogen or hydrogen fuel and liquid oxidizer that is liquid oxygen.

While choosing liquids, there are many factors to see like the ease of operation, cost, environmental hazards or any other hazards, and last but not least, the performance. The low-mass tanks to give a high mass ratio rocket is the technology applied in this rocket engine. This technology may make use of lightweight of turbopumps to yield the result of pumping the propellant from the tanks to the chamber so as to keep under low pressure.

The rockets have tanks to store the liquid and pipes to transfer, injector system, combustion chamber, and rocket nozzles.

I hope I have covered basic of liquid propelling rockets and you may understand it better after I take you to the simulated rocket engine to explain the parts and principles of operation.

There are various categories of propellants depending on the combination of fuels and oxidizers and to list few, cryogenic, semi cryogenic, hypergolic etc.,

In the performance, injectors play a vital role which determines the efficiency of performance and there is a different type of injectors like a showerhead, self-impinging doublet, cross impinging triplet, centripetal, pintle.

Good guys, hope you understand the basic parts and performance activity of liquid propellant engines in rockets and tomorrow we will have some practical tips by seeing a simulated rocket engine.

This is an entry for Lecture contest

Dedicated to famous rocket scientists Nambi Narayanan and Chandrashekhar who had kept Ashram for teaching various activities.
    A good lesson from the author on liquid propellants. Density wise solid propellants are better. But the advantage of Liquid propellants is the reaction can be controlled and can be terminated at any point of time. In solid propellants once the reaction is started we will not have any means to terminate in between and the burn rate will be as designed and on board we can't control the same.
    drrao
    always confident

Today the rocket technologies are being developed in the world by different agencies of various countries and propellent is one of the most important ingredient.

The lecture is well prepared and gives a thorough overview of liquid propellent and its effectiveness.

Knowledge is power.

• Sign In to post your comments