Forums » General » Festivals »

What is your favourite festival?Why do you like it the most?

Posted Date: 09 May 2010      Posted By:: snigdha.k.t. Profile photo    Member Level: Gold    Member Rank: 541     Points: 1   Responses: 18

My favourite festival is Onam. I like Onam because this festival lasts for 10 days. Moreover I like decorating the courtyard with flowers in different designs which is only allowed during this festival.

Responses

#138902    Author: Kumaraditya Sarkar      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 131     Date: 09/May/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 6

Hello Snigdha!

Like most other Bengalis, Durga Puja is my all time favourite festival. You perhaps know that this festival lasts for five days and is celebrated with great pomp all over the state. Since I live quite close to Kolkata, I am fortunate to have to opportunity to visit Pujas in the city. Flooded with people, illuminated with lights and ecstatic in joy, Kolkata turns a quasi-paradise for those days.

Before the Durga Puja, Bengalis purchase new cloths. Even the poorest tries to buy one. In some heritage families Durga Puja is held quite traditionally which also attracts people. Also, this occasion serves as a reunion opportunity for family members, especially for those who live abroad.

When I was a little boy, the Durga Puja had many attractions for me - getting a handsome pocketmoney, dining out, staying out of home till 9-10 pm, gossiping all those days and above everything, no study! At the adolescence, running after girls and the cough loves became the chief attraction of me and my mates. Now these reasons are no more, but the festival attracts me the same. We run a little magazine which sometimes does reports and cover stories on this occasion so often during these days I remain very busy, but still I enjoy it to the fullest.

Have you ever seen Durga Puja in Kolkata?

One request before I conclude, why don't you write a detailed resource on Onam? I would like to know more about that.

Regards,

Kumaraditya Sarkar

Regards,
Kumaraditya Sarkar

#146806    Author: jyotibon      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 216     Date: 23/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 6

Hi,
I am From Assam so my favourate festival is Bihu.Bihu is a national festival for assam. I love bihu festival because we able to celebrate bihu festival three times in a year.Bihu is three types
1.Bohag Bihu
2.Magh bihu
3.Kati Bihu

Bohag Bihu:The Bohag bihu markes the new year at the advent of seeding time(around April 15) and the coming of Spring.Bohag bihu is also called Rangoli bihu. we celebrated Bohag bihu for seven days.The merriments include dances along with the enthralling beats of Dhol and Pepa (buffalo hornpipe). Songs sung during the Bihu festival are woven around themes of love and most of the time carry erotic overtones. People wear traditional attires like Dhoti, Gamocha and Chadar, Mekhala

Magh Bihu:Magh bihu is also called Bhugali Bihu.It is a harvest festival and marks the end of harvesting season. Since the granaries are full, there is a lot of feasting and eating during this period. On the eve of the day called uruka, i.e., the last day of pausa, menfolk, more particularly young men go to the field, preferably near a river, build a makeshift cottage called Bhelaghar with the hay of the harvest fields and the Meji, the most important thing for the night. During the night, they prepare food and there is community feasting everywhere.There is also exchange of sweets and greetings at this time. The entire night (called Uruka) is spent around a Meji with people singing bihu songs, beating Dhol, a typical kind of drums or playing gamesBoys roam about in the dark stealing firewood and vegetables for fun. The next morning they take a bath and burn the main Meji. People gather around the Meji and throw Pithas (rice cakes) and betel nuts to it while burning it at the same time. They offer their prayers to the God of Fire and mark the end of the harvesting year.

Kati Bihu:Kati Bihu is also called Kongali bihu.During this time of the year, the paddy in the fields are in the growing stage and the granaries of the farmers are almost empty. On this day, earthen lamps (saki) are lit at the foot of the household tulashi plant, the granary, the garden (bari) and the paddy fields. To protect the maturing paddy, cultivators whirl a piece of bamboo and recite rowa-kho chants and spells to ward off pests and the evil eye.

#146830    Author: Deeptesh Sharma      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 249     Date: 23/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 3

Hello,

I like Diwali festival most as it last for 20 days. But this is not the only reason I like this festival, I was born in month of November when Diwali festival was there.

And the most wonder thing of this festival is many sweet dishes are prepared that I like most and we go to relatives house to wish them.

Crackers, first I used to burn lots of crackers but when my relatives told the consequences of it, now I don't use crackers in Diwali festival.

Regards,
Deeptesh Sharma

#147131    Author: VIKRAM GUPTA      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 2050     Date: 25/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

hi,

my favourite festival is diwali because it has all property of
enjoyment

like sound of crackers,lights of crackers,lighting the house..

thats why i like diwali the most beautiful festival...

thanks

vikram

#147242    Author: snigdha.k.t.      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 541     Date: 25/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 1

Hai Jyoti Bon,
Really nice to know about Bihu.I haven't heard about this before.Thank you Jyoti.

#147246    Author: K Mohan      Member Level: Platinum      Member Rank: 4     Date: 25/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 3

Nothing can match Deepavali

Its the festival of colour and lights.

Whole family is thrilled to have such a festival.

But i am against bursting sound crackers and that too in limit.

Exchanging of pleasantries during Deepavali is great.

And every one wears good dress and outsmarts in fashion.

K Mohan

If you achieve success, it must be sustained and retained.

#147250    Author: Mala      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 185     Date: 26/Jun/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 3

Hi,

I like Pongal and Deepavali festivals because Pongal is the harvest festival which comes at the beginning of a new year. It is fun enjoying any festival for that matter. Secondly Deepavali is a festival where everyone enjoy cracking crackers and in preparation and eating good special sweets.

Every festival is enjoyable an every day is enjoyable if you really like to enjoy it.

Best regards,
Mala.

#148472    Author: Divine Flame!      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 2796     Date: 02/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 4

Hi,

I like all the festivals in INDIA.Because in INDIA every festival has its own scientific reason.

Such as DIWALI,HOLI,NAV RATRI,MAKAR SAKRANTI which is ofetenly known as PONGAL,BUT MAVAS,SHARAD POORNIMA,BASANT PANCHAMI etc.

Even though I belive that all the customs, faith, festivals in Hindu Culture is based on scientific reason.

Such as In Pongal/Makar Sakranti there is tradition in Hindus that bath in Holy rivers.The reason behind this is that at that time rays of sun which are reflects of water gives necessary anti-resistance power to our body.

In Holi we fire the wood & crops,so that all the insects,produced in our sorroundings, are vanish.

Even I like DIWALI most.This is the festival of full of light,enjoy & also for charity.

#148511    Author: S R SHETTY      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 2137     Date: 02/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 3

Hi, snigdha,

Festival…

Everybody will like festival of their region.
But one thing should be there for celebrating any festival is Happiness.
If no happiness in the house or family, no festival will be favorite for any body.
If happiness remains among us all festivals will be our favorite. If not, nothing.

So be happy and celebrate all the festivals whether it is of north, south, east or west.

#148519    Author: Tuhin Chakraborty      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 3487     Date: 02/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

Hi all,
My favorite festival is Durga puja.Durga puja in bengal is awesome.The atmosphere at that time is beautiful and every people enjoy those 4 days with fullest extent.

#148607    Author: Anil Kumar Aitwal      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 251     Date: 03/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

Deepawali minus the bursting of crackers, noise and pollution is my favourite festival. It feels great to have our doors, window-sills, stairs and balconies lit up with lights or earthen lamps. The brightness everywhere seems heavenly.

#148742    Author: Richa Jha      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 620     Date: 04/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 6

HI,
I belong to Bihar. Where from January to December we celebrate our festival. We have every seasons festival. But I like Durga Pooja the most.

The preparations are done long before the festival to clean and decorate homes, buy gifts for friends and relatives and new clothes for the celebrations and prepare mouth-watering delicacies for the occasion.

From day first to navami we start preparation for the festival. With my family we start day by enchanting devotional songs and the Male member does chandipath(enchanting sanskrit slokas for the worship of Goddess Durga ),Female member did aarti and puja. After this we distribute prasad. It is believed that the Mother Goddess descends to the Earth on Shashthi, the sixth day of the Pooja and returns to her abode on Dashmi, the tenth day of the Pooja.

Asatami fast is really important for us. Where we all sung devotional songs till whole night and just put one important thing on the feet of Goddess Durga. Then Next day we start puja and then we serve the prashad. After that we serve food to Brahmans and nine girls child. It is believe that Nine girls are the symbol of Goddess Durga. After serving brahmans and nine girls we give Dakshina to them and then everybody break their fast from taking prasad.

Next day, we all gather together and then the idol of the Goddess is immersed in a sacred water. Then we came back home and take blessing from our elders by touching their feet(Pranam to elders)

And I enjoy all these things which I miss here the most. It's just a glimpse which I give you. There are many more things which we does at that time.

Richa Jha
ISC Member: An another wave in the ocean!

#148779    Author: sravanthi.a      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 2792     Date: 04/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 3

hi,

my favourite festivals are diwali and pongal because diwali has all property of enjoyment like sound of crackers,lights of crackers,lighting the house..

thats why i like diwali the most beautiful festival...

pongal reflects the actual Indian Culture

So i like it too

Regards

Sravanthi

#148818    Author: Ashu      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 298     Date: 04/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

My favourite is diwali festival.It is not due to we get to blast the crackers,but the way we prepare for it.
The light,the atmosphere,clothts, sweets, celebration and going to relatives houses .All these things are awesome and are priceless.I always like diwali from my childhood.

“A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner”

#148924    Author: shiv      Member Level: Silver      Member Rank: 1339     Date: 05/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 6

Hi,

My favorite festivals are "Ganesh Sthapana" ie. "Ganpati" and "Holi" and "Diwali".

Holi:
This is a festival where all people gather, visit each others places and play colors. I love to play colors.

Ganpati :
I love this festival since from my childhood. When I was of 5 years from that time i started getting what this festival is all about.
Since my childhood i wait for this festival. Actually in my house we do not celebrate this festival, but in our society we do. So the preparation of Ganesh festival is itself is very "Romanchak". Collect all require material and create a good theme out off and then book a Ganesh Murti and then during 11 days there will be competitions and programs like dancing and singing for all age of people and then get together and common AARTI. This all is really very happening.
I used to cry during my childhood at the time of Ganesh Visarjan. We really get so attached to Ganesha that we automatically says "Ganpati Bappa Morya Pudhchya Veli lawkar Ya"

Then comes DIWALI, this festival gets celebrated such as a new year arriving. Every were lighting, everyone do shopping. The Panti which spreads the light all over the house is amazing to see. A list of items gets cooked at home called Laddu, Namkin and many more.
During Diwali i never eat the regular meal rather the other things like Laddu, Chivda and Anarse, Shakarpali and many more just your dinner and lunch.

All festival I love because all family members, friends come together and shrae their thoughts and give wishes to each other.

#148977    Author: Jot      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 998     Date: 05/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 6

Hello,

Festivals are Colourful.Festivals are an intrinsic part of the Indian way of life, a golden thread that runs through its cultural fabric.

REPUBLIC DAY:The national festival in observed through out the country to make the inauguration of the Republic day of India on 26th January 1950. In Delhi, the celebration include a magnificent parade of the armed Forces, folk dances and floats from all the different states of India.

SHIVARATRI:Hindu perform pooja of Lord Shiva by fasting on this day.

HOLI:The most boisterous of Indian festivals, Holi is associated with Lord Krishna. Gay crowds fill the streets, squirting coloured water on people regardless of age, caste or creed. Greetings and sweets are exchanged among friends and relatives.

EASTER:Christians all over India celebrate the resurrection of Christ. Prayers and services are held in churches and cathedrals on Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

BAISAKHI:Baisakhi, the Hindu new year is celebrated all over India. It is a very popular festival of Punjab. It is celebrated to mark the harvesting season. To rejoice the occasion, Bhangra and Gidha dances are performed all over the Punjab.

RAKSHA BANDHAN:Celebrated by Hindu's particularly in northern India. Sisters tie holy thread/Rakhi on the wrists of their brothers wishing their long life. Brothers take oath to protect the honour and help them in adversities.

INDEPENDENCE DAY:The anniversary of India's independence won on this day in 1947. Prime Minister delivers address from Delhi's Red Fort.

JANMASHTAMI:The birth anniversary of Lord Krishna, celebrated with great anthusiasm all over India, specially at Mathura and Vrindavan, which are closely associated with his childhood.

DIWALI:The brightest India festival when every city town and village is turned into a fairy land with millions of electric light, candles and oil lamps illuminating homes and public buildings. A special feature of the festival is the worship of Laxmi, the goddess of wealth and prosperity.

GURPURAB:The birth anniversaries of Guru Nanak, the first Guru of the Sikhs, is celebrate in the month of Kartik.

CHRISTMAS DAY:The Birth of Jesus Christ is celebrated in India, with the traditional exchanges of greetings and gifts.

With Regards

"A good education should leave much to be desired"....Alan Gregg

#151609    Author: shrey kapoor      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 1240     Date: 21/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 4

Hi,
I love colours.So HOLI is my favourite festival.Its a festival of colours.Holi is celebrated by throwing coloured powder and coloured water at each other.

We celebrate Holi in our locality with great joy and enthusiasm.We wait throughout the year for the festival to come.We buy colours and make other preparations.On the day of the festival,we come out of our houses wearing white clothes and gather together to play holi.We also go to meet all the relatives and have so much fun.

One think I dont like about holi is bathing for hours after playing to remove the colour.Thats very irritating.

Holi is really a festival of fun.I really enjoy it an look forward to it every year.

Thanks and regards,
Shrey

#151612    Author: Mohammed      Member Level: Bronze      Member Rank: 0     Date: 21/Jul/2010   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 3

hey.i also like onam.it is the festival of all festivals.officially Kerala is the god's own country.its a festival which will be celebrated every year at thrissur.a district of kerala.its so wonderful to see the fire works and all.there will be elephants of all district in kerala.one ritual is also there known as kudamaattam.its so superb to see.and will make us excited

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.

Next : Wishing A Very Happy Mothers' Day to All of You
Previous : Tell me the answer
Return to Discussion Forum
Post New Message
Category: Festivals

Related Messages

Awards & Gifts
Active Members
TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. Copyright © All Rights Reserved.