Forums » Education » Improve Your English »

Usage of the phrase 'cant able to'

Posted Date: 19 Feb 2011      Posted By:: Janaki V     Member Level: Silver    Member Rank: 1123     Points: 1   Responses: 3

I can't able to do this work.

The phrase can't able to is an incorrect usage. I have heard many people using this phrase. There is no phrase as 'can't able' in English. It should be either will not be able or am not able depending on the person and the tense.

The correct version is the following:
'I will not be able to do this work' if it is future tense or 'I am not able to do this work' if it is present tense.

The same applies to the phrase 'can able'. This is a wrong usage. It should be 'will be able'.

For example the sentence 'Sita can able to dance' is wrong. The correct usage is 'Sita will be able to dance'.

Regards,

Janaki V.

Responses

#178072    Author: Sukhdev Singh      Member Level: Diamond      Member Rank: 13     Date: 19/Feb/2011   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 3 (Rs 2)

Dear Janaki,

Both the modal verb 'can' and the phrase 'be able to'have similar meaning.

Both the following sentences are correct:

I can do this work.

I am able to do this work.

The forms of verb 'be' in the present are : 'is, am, are'

Both 'can' and 'able to' cannot be used in the same sentence because both of them have the same meaning.

Regards

Sukhdev Singh
Editor ISC

"Teaching is my passion and sharing knowledge is my motto"
Regards,
Sukhdev Singh
Lead Editor Forums Section

#180101    Author: Ruchi      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 1311     Date: 28/Feb/2011   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 3

Hi,

"can't able to" appears to be an oxymoron. Oxymoron s are combination of two words having contradictory meaning. Can't and able have just the opposite meaning. Such words are never used together. Either 'can't' is used or 'able' is used.

Similarly can and able also cannot be used together as these are the words having same meaning and it causes redundancy. Either 'can' is used or 'able' is used.

Thus able is not used with both 'can' and 'can't'.

Regards,

Ruchi

#180115    Author: Mohit Gupta      Member Level: Gold      Member Rank: 487     Date: 28/Feb/2011   Rating: 2 out of 52 out of 5     Points: 2

Hello All!

This is a good information. We generally use this phrase in common language which is grammatically wrong. Like sometimes we use while introducing "I am so and so" but the correct phrase is " My name is --"

So thanks for the knowledge again.

Regards,

Mohit Gupta

This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.

Return to Discussion Forum
Start new thread

Awards & Gifts
Active Members
TodayLast 7 Daysmore...

ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. Copyright © All Rights Reserved.