Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 14 Feb 2012 Posted By:: jaisudan Member Level: Bronze Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2012 Anna University Chennai B.E Computer Science and Engineering B.E/B.Tech Degree Examinations,January 2012-Engineering Chemistry (CY2111) first semester Question paper
B.E/B.Tech Degree Examination, January 2012.
(common to all branches except Marine Engg)
Time: 3hrs Max marks: 100
Answer all Questions
1) Distinguish between type of alkalinity and the ions responsible for the types.
2) What is calgon? How does it function in water treatment?
3) Define Polymerization.
4) How are FRPs produced?
5) What are the characteristics of absorption?
6) What do you understand by 'Purification of absorption'?
7) What are fissile and fertile nucleus?
8) What are the applications of Lithium batteries?
9) Define refractoriness of a refractory.
10)What are carbon nano tubes?
11. (a) (i) Explain EDTA method of determining hardness of water. (8)
(ii)50ml of std hard water containing 1 mg of pure caco3 per ml consumed 20 ml of EDTA. 50ml of water sample consumed 25ml of EDTA solution. 50ml of the sample after boiling filtering etc. consumed 18ml of EDTA. Calculate the temporary and permanent hardness of this water sample. (8)
(b) (i) Explain the demineralization of water by ion exchange process. How are exhausted cation and anion ion exchange resins regenerated? (8)
(ii)What is reverse osmosis? Explain desalination of water by reverse osmosis method. What are the advantages of RO method? (8)
12. (a) (i) Explain the free radical mechanism involved in the formation of polyethylene. (8)
(ii)Classify polymers with suitable examples. (8)
(b) (i) What do you understand by vulcanization of rubber? What are the advantages? Give a representative structural unit of rubber. (8)
(ii)Give the preparation and engineering uses of butyl rubber and SBR. (8)
13. (a) (i) Derive Langmuir adsorption isotherm and discuss the use of the equation in the limiting conditions of very low and high pressures. (8)
(ii)Define adsorption isotherm and explain five different types of isotherm. (8)
(b) (i) What is the role of adsorbents in catalysis? (8)
(ii)What is the role of activated carbon in air and water pollution control?(8)
14. (a) (i) Define Nuclear fission. Explain its characteristics.(8)
(ii)What are the main parts of Light water nuclear reactor? What is a breeder reactor? (8)
(b) (i)What are storage batteries? Giving cell reactions explain the construction and working of lead acid battery. (8)
(ii)What are fuel cells? construct a H2O2 fuel cell and explain its working. (8)
15. (a) (i)Explain the steps involved in the manufacture of alumina refractories. (8)
(ii)Write detailed note on emery and silicon carbide. (8)
(b) (i) How is the viscosity index of a lubricant of determined? What is its significance? (8)
(ii)How do graphite and molybdenum sulphide function as lubricants? Explain. (8)
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.