Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 15 May 2008 Posted By:: Raj Malik Member Level: Gold Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2005 Gujarat University Languages M.A English ENGLISH Paper IV(C) , Shakespeare’s Comedies Question paper
ENGLISH Paper IV(C)
Time : 3 Hours] [Total Marks : 100
1. (a) In Romantic Comedy Shakespeare fully satisfies the Elizabethan aesthetic demand for a drama which would gratify both the romantic and the comic instincts of its audience. Discuss. (10)
(b) Write a critical note on Shakespeare’s festive comedy.
2. (a) The essential characteristic of a problem play is that it presents a perplexing and distressing complication of human life with high seriousness. Comment. (10)
(b) Discuss the salient features of Shakespeare’s last plays.
3. (a) The courtly characters of Love’s Labours Lost are not made into convincing individuals, but are shallow and lightly sketched. Discuss. (10)
(b) In Love’s Labours Lost, Shakespeare views learning and love with an admiring but ironic eye. Discuss.
4. (a) A silvery undertone of sadness makes Twelfth Night perhaps the loveliest of Shakespeare’s high comedies. Comment. (10)
(b) Evaluate the character of Viola.
5. (a) A Midsummer Night’s Dream is a comedy whose interest depends on confusions, cross-purposes and a beautiful setting. Discuss. (10)
(b) Shakespeare’s treatment of fairies in A Midsummer Night’s Dream suggests mirth, goodwill and some harmless mischief. Illustrate.
6. (a) As You Like It is the sweetest and happiest of all Shakespeare’s comedies. Discuss. (10)
(b) Draw a pen-picture of Rosalind.
7. (a) Measure for Measure is a dark play in its focus on evil and its seemingly cynical attitude towards two basic human concerns, sex and the ordering of society. Comment. (10)
(b) The low-life characters in Measure for Measure are in the play not only to make us laugh; they have many serious functions. Discuss.
8. (a) The Winter’s Tale is a story of moral resurrection, forgiveness and reconciliation. Discuss. (10)
(b) Evaluate The Winter’s Tale as a romance.
9. Show your acquaintance with any four of the following : (20)
(2) Troilus and Cressida
(3) The Comedy of Errors
(4) Every Man in his Humour
(6) Taming of the Shrew
(7) Two Gentlemen of Verona
(8) Much Ado About Nothing
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.