2011 Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad B.Tech 1st year Engineering Physics question paper 2011 R09 Set no:2 Question paper
Here is the old question paper of Engineering Physics in annual exams of B.Tech 1st Year R09 set no:2 at Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University in the year 2011. Feel free to download and prepare for your exams.
Code No: 09A1BS02
R09 Set No. 2
I B.Tech Examinations,June 2011 ENGINEERING PHYSICS
Common to CE, ME, CHEM, BME, IT, MECT, MEP, AE, BT, AME, AIE, ICE, E.COMP.E, MMT, ETM, EIE, CSE, ECE, EEE
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 75 Answer any FIVE Questions All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) Show that the Kronig-Penney model leads to energy band structure in solids. (b) Explain the concept of effective mass of an electron. [9+6]
2. (a) What is meant by polarization mechanism in dielectrics? Discuss the different
polarization mechanisms in dielectrics.
(b) Distinguish between ferro-electricity and piezo-electricity.
(c) Find the electric susceptibility of a dielectric gas having dielectric constant of 1.000041. [7+5+3]
3. (a) Explain the terms:
i. Spontaneous emission and ii. Stimulated emission.
(b) Distinguish between Ruby laser and He-Ne laser.
(c) Explain the need of a cavity resonator in a laser. [4+7+4]
4. (a) Distinguish between Maxwell-Bolzmann statistics and Bose-Einstein statistics.
(b) Write notes on black body radiation.
(c) What is the concept of electron gas? [6+5+4]
5. (a) Write notes on line defects of crystals.
(b) What is Burgers vector? In what direction do the Burgers vector lie with
i. An edge dislocation, ii. Screw dislocation.
(c) Two metals have the formation energies as 0.73 eV and 0.96 eV. What will be the ratio of their vacancy fractions? [6+5+4]
6. (a) Describe any three processes by which nanomaterials are fabricated.
(b) Write the important applications of nanomaterials. [9+6]
7. (a) Describe with a suitable example, the formation of covalent bond in solids.
(b) Compare the properties of metallic and hydrogen bonds in solids. (c) What is Madelung constant? Explain. [4+7+4]
8. (a) Derive an expression for carrier concentration of n-type semiconductors.
(b) Explain Hall effect and its importance. (c) Calculate the intrinsic carrier concentration for Ge at 270C. [for Ge, Atomic weight = 72.6, Density = 5400 kg/m3, Band gap = 0.70 eV]. [7+4+4]
Return to question paper search