Download Model question papers & previous years question papers
Submit Previous Years University Question Papers
Posted Date: 31 May 2008 Posted By:: sasi kala Member Level: Gold Points: 5 (Rs. 1)
2007 Anna University Chennai B.E Civil Engineering CE 238 — APPLIED HYDRAULIC ENGINEERING Question paper
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION,
CE 238 — APPLIED HYDRAULIC ENGINEERING
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ? 2 = 20 marks)
1. Find the relationship between Chezy's ‘C’ and Manning's ‘n’.
2. Sketch the velocity distribution in rectangular and triangular channels.
3. Find the critical depth of a rectangular channel carrying a discharge of
4. Define control section and how it affects the flow depth.
5. What are practical application of hydraulic jump?
6. What are the energy conversions in the reaction turbines?
7. Define specific speed of centrifugal pump.
8. A reciprocating pump designed to discharge 28 lps is supplying 29 lps. Find the percentage of slip.
9. What are the function of foot valve in a centrifugal pump?
10. How cavitation occurs in hydraulic machines.
PART B — (5 ? 16 = 80 marks)
11. (i) Describe various types of flow in an open channel. (9)
(ii) A rectangular channel with a base width of 0.60 m carries a discharge of 100 lps. The Chezy's C is 60. If the depth of flow is 0.25 m, determine the bed slope of the channel. (7)
12. (a) (i) Define specific energy of flow at a channel section. Draw the specific energy curve and explain. (10)
(ii) List the various characteristics of critical state of flow through
(b) A trapezoidal channel having a bottom width of 5.0 m and side slope 2 : 1 is laid with a bottom slope of 1/750. If it carries a uniform flow of 8 m3/s compute the normal depth. Assume Manning's n = 0.025.
13. (a) (i) What are the assumptions made to derive the gradually varied flow
from the basic energy equation and derive an expression for water surface slope? (9)
(ii) How dynamic equation of gradually varied flow is simplified in wide rectangular channel? (7)
(b) How surface profiles of Gradually Varied Flow are classified and explain them with sketches.
14. (a) (i) What are the functions of draft tubes? Sketch the different types of draft tubes and explain the merits and demerits. (8)
(ii) An inward flow reaction turbine works under a head of 22.5 m. The external and internal diameter of the runner are 1.35 m and 1.0 m respectively. The angle of guide vane is 15? and the moving vane are radial at inlet. Radial velocity of flow through runner is constant and equal to 0.2 There is no velocity of whirl at outlet. Determine the speed of the runner and the angle of vanes at outlet. (8)
(b) (i) Explain various losses occurring in a centrifugal pump. (6)
(ii) A centrifugal pump has an impeller of 0.50 m outer diameter. It runs at 750 rpm and discharges 140 lps against a head of 10 m. The water enters the impeller without whirl and shock. The inner diameter is 0.25 m. The vanes are set an angle of 45? at the outlet. The area of flow is constant from inlet to outlet of the impeller and equals to 0.06 m2. Determine
(1) Manometric efficiency of the pump
(2) Vane angles at inlet. (10)
15. (a) (i) Explain with sketch how multi cylinder pump supplies more uniform flow as compared to single cylinder pump without any air vessel. (8)
(ii) Explain the principle of gear pump and rotating cylinder pump. (8)
(b) (i) Define hydraulic jump and explain with sketches how they are classified. (9)
(ii) A rectangular horizontal channel of 3.0 m wide carries a discharge of 10 m3/s. Determine whether hydraulic jump may occur at an initial depth of 0.50 m or not. If jump occurs determine the sequent depth. (7)
Return to question paper search
and make money from adsense revenue sharing program
Are you preparing for a university examination? Download model question papers
and practise before you write the exam.